Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a decent slam to my ribs when snowboarding.
I now have pain on my right upper chest area it's not completely unbearable. ( tho I have taken Pain relief ) But it is pretty uncomfortable and when taking a breath in feel a popping kinda clicking sound.
Is this doctor worthy or should I wait a few days?
Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
ive done this many times and theres nothing you can really do except try not to hurt it more, i pretty much broke my rib last year and all they did was give me some pain killers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I now have pain on my right upper chest area it's not completely unbearable. ( tho I have taken Pain relief ) But it is pretty uncomfortable and when taking a breath in feel a popping kinda clicking sound.

Thanks
Go see a doctor.
Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
210 Posts
assuming you didn't damage a lung or break multiple ribs.
And the only way to know that is to go see a doctor.

To be fair, Cr0 is probably right and it's probably just a broken rib and there's nothing to do but wait.
But why take the chance?

To quote the sticky:

It's not a place for you to get a diagnosis of your injury. If you are asking that question, you might as well go see a witch doctor. Better yet, go see a doctor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
No, it's definitely AIDS.

If you hurt yourself, get it checked out. Le duh!
Its ridiculous. How the fuck can people give medical advice after reading a few lines on a snowboarding forum!

Whats more retarded than posting advice is actually listening to it. People who diagnose themselves on the internet need their head checked.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Its ridiculous. How the fuck can people give medical advice after reading a few lines on a snowboarding forum!

Whats more retarded than posting advice is actually listening to it. People who diagnose themselves on the internet need their head checked.
Guess I need my head checked :dizzy:

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts

Thanks
I've taken some pretty hefty chest hits while boarding. Last time I did it I tried to last through the pain for a week. I finally went into the doc and they started scanning me for potential fluid buildup around my heart! :blink:

Bottom line: this is the internet and we are not doctors. Only you can determine if you should see a doctor.

BTW, mine turned out to be nothing more than a bruised chest muscle. Healed up in a few weeks but it was very painful for the first two! I ride with upper body armour now...

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
If you have insurance I wouldn't hesitate. If you don't I'd still get it checked but that is just me. Plus I'm old things heal slower and I break more easily

·
Registered
756 Posts
Those suck!

I broke my ribs from slamming, just caught an edge on a cat track. for the next month it hurt to breathe and put my T-shirt on.

Haha.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
If you have insurance I wouldn't hesitate. If you don't I'd still get it checked but that is just me. Plus I'm old things heal slower and I break more easily
It is a shame when a decision to have yourself checked out by a doctor can come down to whether you have insurance or not. I hope the poster starts feeling better real soon. My chest/rib slam last year caused me 1 month of discomfort.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,472 Posts
And the only way to know that is to go see a doctor.

To be fair, Cr0 is probably right and it's probably just a broken rib and there's nothing to do but wait.
But why take the chance?
Yes,.. If it's fractured or broken, there isn't a whole lot too be done about it. Dr. might tape it, might not. BUT,.. and this is a big butt, suppose it is broken. I can't know your level of pain tolerance, but maybe you're a super hero and you get along Ok dealing with the pain thinking it's nothing too serious, so you go boarding again!!

All it would take is a relatively minor bump or fall,.. Now, you risk having a jagged shard of rib shoved into a lung or worse.

Really better to be safe than sorry!! K?

...and here I was thinking "I" was the only one that gravity was treating differently than it did a decade or two ago?? :laugh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
went there got ribs cracked

I cracked 2 ribs falling on a rail two years ago.
It didn't hurt much while i was still "hot" and i kept riding the whole day , the next day was another story and i went to the doc who told me that
It's fucking important to get checked by a doc when you think you broke your ribs cuz you can also have a pneumothorax ".
I had only 2 broken ribs but checking on google what was a pneumothorax i'm glad i didn't have that.:thumbsup:

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Sorry to revive a thread but just sharing my experience:

Friday boarded all day, last run of the day did a goofy 180 in the park and landed on my side on hardpack. Ribs hurting BAD... Took a couple advil on the way home and tried to live with it.

Went to the hospital in the morning. They gave me a bunch of advil and tylenol, and checked a bunch to make sure I was breathing normally (other than the pain in the ribs). The doctor said there was no point in taking an x-ray and just to take it easy and pick up some tylenol and advil on the way home. I mentioned doing a competition this coming week and she said she could do an xray if I wanted but there wasn't much need.

So I'm living the painkiller life, crossing my fingers that the pain goes away substantially by Friday morning. :(

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sorry to revive a thread but just sharing my experience:

Friday boarded all day, last run of the day did a goofy 180 in the park and landed on my side on hardpack. Ribs hurting BAD... Took a couple advil on the way home and tried to live with it.

Went to the hospital in the morning. They gave me a bunch of advil and tylenol, and checked a bunch to make sure I was breathing normally (other than the pain in the ribs). The doctor said there was no point in taking an x-ray and just to take it easy and pick up some tylenol and advil on the way home. I mentioned doing a competition this coming week and she said she could do an xray if I wanted but there wasn't much need.

So I'm living the painkiller life, crossing my fingers that the pain goes away substantially by Friday morning. :(
so...

Sounds like you have AIDS, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Just kidding! I have to say I kringed like hell when I saw you go off like that and it looked like you were hitting the knuckle too so double bad!! Hope you heal up quick!

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Just kidding! I have to say I kringed like hell when I saw you go off like that and it looked like you were hitting the knuckle too so double bad!! Hope you heal up quick!
LOL! Yeah better this than AIDS. I'm not sure what I was thinking on that jump, I've done the same switch 180 a bunch of times at Nakiska and on little side hits. I think I was trying to go to big or something?!? (on the Small jump of all places)

Using ice packs and drugs to hopefully help, I'll just be bent if this affects my Friday/Saturday riding... :RantExplode:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts