Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after looking at lots of boards I landed on the GNU ES. I have a DOA and Evil Twin for my indoor riding rails and jumps and the park. Wanted a directional board to bomb groomers and ride hard on the East (ice) coast. Basically first half of day park, 2nd half ride this board. Rode a 159 Ejack knife and really liked it. It took my fear away from the C3 with rocker, which felt like camber and not washy at all. Also made me think I really wanted magna traction. I had 100% confidence on ice and thinking the magna traction had a lot to do with it. Decided to rule out Arbors because I don’t want up lifted contact points on ice . Of course I could just buy a 159 EJACK but my brother has one so I can ride it once in a while. Landed on the 161 GNU ES but not sure to get the wide or not. I’m 6’0 210 with size 10.5(burton). I’m obviously leaning towards the wide but wondering your opinions. I like fast nimble boards. Again mostly groomers, I’m not taking this thing out to cliffs and riding like a pro, let’s be realistic 99% resort. I did notice the ejack felt heavier and slower at top speed and acceleration then the DOA, thinking the 161W ES will Be even worse. Of course that “heaviness” I’m sure added to the stability I felt. I guess it’s a trade off

Edit : GNU 4 162 with 257 seems cool
Also

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Gonna get lots of contradicting opinions on reg vs wide. If quick/nimble is top priority and you don’t plan on laying it over on your elbow too often I’d probably go regular. Idk the specs on the board, speaking generally.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Local shop has last years lib tech dynamo 159 ( and anti gravity same board?) I could steal, may consider that but would have loved if it was the 161. Just happen to see if when I went for wax. Good deck for ice coast resorts ? Similar to the ES?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gonna get lots of contradicting opinions on reg vs wide. If quick/nimble is top priority and you don’t plan on laying it over on your elbow too often I’d probably go regular. Idk the specs on the board, speaking generally.
Yup it’s all preference, almost meaningless to ask as it’ll be split 50/50. As I posted above my local shop has last years Lib Dynamo and GNU antigravity. I’m going to be riding park over 70% of the time so don’t mind “sacrificing” and just picking up
The 159 dynamo. Just want something to keep hold on ice and go fast when the sun Goes down at Mountain creek and it freezes up instantly. Anything’s better then bombing an evil twin on ice at fast speeds, sketchy doesn’t even come close to describing it , Although I do love that board. That less friction of TBT really picks up speed fast

·
Registered
125 Posts
It can't telle about the Dynamo or Essential Service, but the Antigravity, I own last year's.

You said ". Wanted a directional board to bomb groomers and ride hard on the East (ice) coast ". I was looking for quite the same. As much I love the C3 camber profile with magnetraction, qhich really hods on ice, I find it to soft for bombing. When conditions are good, it's OK, but when in freezed golf balls, the board is really thrown away and shatters a lot.
The dynamo is stiffer, and also the AntiGravity is extruded base. So personnaly, I'd go with Dynamo, or Essential Service (if I refer to the stats, I'd go ES).

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It can't telle about the Dynamo or Essential Service, but the Antigravity, I own last year's.

You said ". Wanted a directional board to bomb groomers and ride hard on the East (ice) coast ". I was looking for quite the same. As much I love the C3 camber profile with magnetraction, qhich really hods on ice, I find it to soft for bombing. When conditions are good, it's OK, but when in freezed golf balls, the board is really thrown away and shatters a lot.
The dynamo is stiffer, and also the AntiGravity is extruded base. So personnaly, I'd go with Dynamo, or Essential Service (if I refer to the stats, I'd go ES).
Thank you for that, 159 dynamo seems like the one if I can get over 50% off

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Honestly here is what I did when I wanted a board for Mt. Creek ice. I went into South Lodge and bought a Nitro Team Camber for $250 bucks in their shop lol. It was perfect. I know I keep saying this to everyone lately, but give that board a look. It is not directional but it has super solid hold and great pop in the park. Rips turns too.

Just to clarify something Grunk said C3 has nothing to do with stiffness it’s the camber profile. C3 varies from board to board in both stiffness and board shape.

Anti Gravity could be ok, but if it’s like my Super Progressive Air machine, there are better choices for ice at creek.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes you're right @MrDavey2Shoes .I wasn't clear. When I said it was too soft, I was not talking about C3, which as nothing to do with stiffness, but the antigravity board. This is why Dynamo, and Essential Service, both C3 too, but stiffer, would be on my list.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly here is what I did when I wanted a board for Mt. Creek ice. I went into South Lodge and bought a Nitro Team Camber for $250 bucks in their shop lol. It was perfect. I know I keep saying this to everyone lately, but give that board a look. It is not directional but it has super solid hold and great pop in the park. Rips turns too.

Just to clarify something Grunk said C3 has nothing to do with stiffness it’s the camber profile. C3 varies from board to board in both stiffness and board shape.

Anti Gravity could be ok, but if it’s like my Super Progressive Air machine, there are better choices for ice at creek.
That’s a steal !!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Lol thay had a TRS 159 and I believe 162 also. Lots to choose from !! Also cold brews

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
The ES is abnormally narrow.

You definitely want a wide if you go for the Essential Service. I used to own the 159W. If you liked the EJack in 159 the ES 159w will be similar but stiffer and more chargey. The ES 161W will amp that up slightly, so if you wanna go fast and mostly straight you're on the right track. If you're worried about it being too much board the 159W will feel a little more playful.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
If your going to want to do proper carves go wide, if you want faster edge to edge and don't care too much about deep trench carving then reg.
I went through the exact same dilemma with wanting the fast edge to edge vs the sluggish wide. I hated the wide at first, but it's definitely grown on me especially when I got stiff bindings and boots.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There’s so many similar boards. Found a few last year model boards online.
Mullair 161W - $479
Billy goat 162- $429
Gnu 4 162 -$349

Will These ride very similar?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Gnu 4 is a Directional Twin, with sintered base.
Mullair is directional with extruded base.
Billy Goat is directional with sintered base.

They are around the same flex patterns, same profile, what will differ is the 4 will be better for riding switch, the Mullair and the Billy Goat for pure directional riding, the Billy Goat having a better base material but which needs more care, and maybe a little stiffer, but almost without tapper, where the Mullair has a little more tappered shape.

The new Essential Service is just the Mullair rebranded since they closed the contract with him.

This is purely theoritical with the specs, didn't ride any of them.

Without taking sizes and wide or not into account, for hard charging I'd go Billy Goat. If you want more switch riding, Gnu 4.
But if you want/need a wide, the Mullair is still a solid board.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dam you and your logic!! Ya that sums it up nicely. Leaning towards billy goat now but the 4 seems like a cool board also. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it's funny that you started this off saying you wanted a directional and then added a directional twin to the list!
It has the word directional, it’s a start!!!As you know it’s very tough to find a board You want that has all the exact specs and comes in a size you want. I am unwilling to compromise on C3, and would like magna traction. That alone narrows it down to only a few deck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There are also other companies with edge tech not called magne traction that have camber boards.
I think that Rossignol has the jibsaw or templar which could be in the list of medium stiff boards with camber and good edge tech.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts