Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Im riding a 162 BSOD Monday, I’ll see how that size feels. I may take a shot on the 162 Gnu 4 if I like the size.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The 4 actually looks like a good choice on paper. Specs are pretty close my Sims in terms of side cut radius, effective edge and width. Similar shape too. It has a little taper but not too much, looks like .2 cm on the 159. I know you said you want last years model but damn the 2021 graphic is cool. I’ve never ridden one so I’m going off the specs.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The 4 actually looks like a good choice on paper. Specs are pretty close my Sims in terms of side cut radius, effective edge and width. Similar shape too. It has a little taper but not too much, looks like .2 cm on the 159. I know you said you want last years model but damn the 2021 graphic is cool. I’ve never ridden one so I’m going off the specs.
I actually like last years graphic/color over the black and white so I lucked out. I think I’m going to pull the trigger. I’m riding last years BSOD 162 Monday and will determine if I want a 159 or 162 depending how that feels.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yea there is a lot out there, especially in the all mountain/free ride category. Have you looked at the Telos DST? It’s on my shortlist when I have to replace my Sims. No edge tech though.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
My main question on the Gnu 4 is this a board you size up on? Meaning it’s an all
Mountain board, yet freestyle. Is this a board I’d be better off at 159 vs 162? I’ve read the Ejack is a board you don’t size up . Def want a board where 162 is the proper size and I want a little bigger charger.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The only time I’d go with a size outside of what I’d normally ride would be for a volume shift. People differ here but it’s my opinion that if you have to size up or down on a board your using it outside of it’s intended purpose and would be best suited picking something for what you’re looking to do in the correct size. Sorry for run on sentence

Often free ride boards are longer than your normal board because of large amount of rocker in the nose or tail for float. So that 162 may actually have close to the same effective edge as a 158. The extra cms go toward float and don’t have much effect on hard pack.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ya I don’t ride ANY pow, At all. This is why I’m between sizes. Will the 162 give me any advantage outside of that ?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It will give you more effective edge than the 158 which means more grip. But go with the size that best suits your weight. If you’re a super strong rider you can get away with up sizing, but I can’t imagine you’re a stronger rider than Forrest!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
It will give you more effective edge than the 158 which means more grip. But go with the size that best suits your weight. If you’re a super strong rider you can get away with up sizing, but I can’t imagine you’re a stronger rider than Forrest!
Well I guess that’s my question. For this board what would be “standard”. If Forests 5’10 170 and rides a 159 then maybe I’d assume the 162 would be my size. Usually people are riding a size smaller then generally accepted. I.e I’m 6’0 210’and everyone wants to put me on a 162+but my biggest deck is a 159. Riding a 162 BSOD today so I’ll know how I like a 162 and make the decision.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
There’s probably a size chart on GNU or EVO

My free ride deck are all 157-159 (aside from my shifted party platter) I’m 170-175 with 8.5 boot. All things being the same you probably want something bigger.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
At some point you just pull the trigger. Length does matter and you can feel a 3cm difference, but that's only if you are comparing boards back to back.

I have a 159 and 162 in the same board, same year, same everything. There is a difference in the way they ride, but they don't make much difference in the way I ride. If I ride the 159 a lot the 162 feels aggressive, and going back to the 159 it feels nimble and fun.

But overall they ride about the same and I couldn't tell you which one I like better overall. The 159 is better for park and tight trees, slightly. The 162 is better for carving and groomers, slightly.

The minor differences in boards are just that. If you find a board you really like and ride it a bunch it will become your favorite. Remember that snowboarding is board, bindings, boots and rider all working together. Learning to ride a particular board well is easier than constantly changing out gear, or obsessing over millimeters.

By all means try a lot of boards if you can, then pick your favorite and ride it to death.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Sold a deck today and met The guy at the mountain. He had a 162 2017 BSOD so it worked out absolutely perfect. The 162 didn’t feel big at all, just a little “clunky”. Of course I absolutely love Bataleon and my evil twin because it’s so light and the 3bt is very quick. Everything feel slower to me. After riding that compared to my 159 I realized how much I love the Evil Twin, and that for the Mountains I ride 99% of the time I’ll be happier with a 159. GNU customer service said the Billy Goat is Mervins stiffest board and reccomended the 159 4, and i think that’s spot on. I like the shape and will fit for what I need. Even with this I’ll prob be reaching for the evil twin most the time. Not gonna over think it and just pull the trigger

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Also I finally got a speedometer app. My fastest run on the evil twin was 44 MPH. Yes I would have like a little more stability but tbh I don’t see myself pushing it much further then that 99% of the time. This was carving not just pointing and going.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
At some point you just pull the trigger. Length does matter and you can feel a 3cm difference, but that's only if you are comparing boards back to back.

I have a 159 and 162 in the same board, same year, same everything. There is a difference in the way they ride, but they don't make much difference in the way I ride. If I ride the 159 a lot the 162 feels aggressive, and going back to the 159 it feels nimble and fun.

But overall they ride about the same and I couldn't tell you which one I like better overall. The 159 is better for park and tight trees, slightly. The 162 is better for carving and groomers, slightly.

The minor differences in boards are just that. If you find a board you really like and ride it a bunch it will become your favorite. Remember that snowboarding is board, bindings, boots and rider all working together. Learning to ride a particular board well is easier than constantly changing out gear, or obsessing over millimeters.

By all means try a lot of boards if you can, then pick your favorite and ride it to death.
that’s exactly right. I think being honest with myself ill be much happier with the 159. Def going with the 4 as GNU told me the billy goat is Mervins stifffest deck. lol I’m always tinkering and Can’t just be happy. Recently down sized my boots dramatically because I found out I have EEE width. After some days in them they packed out absolutely perfect where I have slight pressurea against my big toe and the rest fits super snug and perfect. Obviously my first thought was.... these fit too good, maybe I can go down a half size!

41 - 60 of 96 Posts