Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Also I finally got a speedometer app. My fastest run on the evil twin was 44 MPH. Yes I would have like a little more stability but tbh I don’t see myself pushing it much further then that 99% of the time. This was carving not just pointing and going.
Hahaha, 44mph will become like driving only in the right lane...
You might be buying the c3 marketing crew their beers...while ur drinking their koolaid...
Question...have you ever rode a straight up non-wavey fr cambered machine?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hahaha, 44mph will become like driving only in the right lane...
You might be buying the c3 marketing crew their beers...while ur drinking their koolaid...
Question...have you ever rode a straight up non-wavey fr cambered machine?
Nope mostly all mountain freestyle. Evil Twin, DOA,E jack knife etc . Ya it wasn’t too fast lol but it gets sketchy with your tail flapping like a towel and feeling like your riding a paper towel. Baby steps man , baby steps . That’s why I’m looking at these boards

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I rode the iguchi pro camber today. The lifted contact points do a lot to make the board feel more fun when you're not being aggressive with it and take don't take anything away when you're on it.

It looks like you made a decision already but you should definitely try to ride one of the arbor boards sometime. The guch is also no where near as stiff as I was led to believe! I've heard the annex is definitely stiff though.

On a scale of 1-10 how much of a pussy am I for thinking mid 40s was fast on a park deck
Depends on the terrain. The signal disruptor is a park board and it's plenty fast. The rome buckshot scared me too much to even attempt gaining much speed. It wasn't loose or flappy... But the feeling of flex just didn't feel right to me.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I rode the iguchi pro camber today. The lifted contact points do a lot to make the board feel more fun when you're not being aggressive with it and take don't take anything away when you're on it.

It looks like you made a decision already but you should definitely try to ride one of the arbor boards sometime. The guch is also no where near as stiff as I was led to believe! I've heard the annex is definitely stiff though.

Depends on the terrain. The signal disruptor is a park board and it's plenty fast. The rome buckshot scared me too much to even attempt gaining much speed. It wasn't loose or flappy... But the feeling of flex just didn't feel right to me.
The annex and Aframe/crosscut really have my interest. I’d love to be able to ride one. Being in NJ tough to find demos. A local big shop has a Last year crosscut 158 on clearance. I’m gonna check back in a few weeks and try and work out a demo. Only one shop demos near me and they mostly have Capita and Bataleon

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The annex and Aframe/crosscut really have my interest. I’d love to be able to ride one. Being in NJ tough to find demos. A local big shop has a Last year crosscut 158 on clearance. I’m gonna check back in a few weeks and try and work out a demo. Only one shop demos near me and they mostly have Capita and Bataleon
Local big shop = Pelican?
I know them and ski barn stock Arbor. The white horse Pelican had a ton of boards including an Arbor terrapin and Nitro Canon. I was pretty surprised.

Ever ride blue? I'm sadly in nj as well.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Local big shop = Pelican?
I know them and ski barn stock Arbor. The white horse Pelican had a ton of boards including an Arbor terrapin and Nitro Canon. I was pretty surprised.

Ever ride blue? I'm sadly in nj as well.
Yup I’m 15 minutes from the Pelican on rt.10, they have the cross cut. Arbor website says some place called Mt. Everest Has a 159 annex may take a ride. Ski barn also stocks Arbor I believe. Out of Bounds is my go to shop as they demo , great guys. I ride Mountain creek as I have a season pass and big snow to progress on my rails and jumps. I’m the bozo 36 year old hiking the rail with my 8 year old. Love to meet up at mountain creek some time when my new deck comes in. The Pelican on 10 has a 161W essential service as well.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
On a scale of 1-10 how much of a pussy am I for thinking mid 40s was fast on a park deck
40mph is no joke; hit a tree, another person, or fall the wrong way at that speed and it gets serious quickly.

I've owned flexy park boards where if I took them above 40mph and carved quickly in not-perfect snow there was a good chance the nose would hit a bump, dig in and bend upward, forcing an immediate unintentional 180. Even flat basing at 45mph felt like the upper limit. Stopping quickly on a board like that becomes a gamble.

The speed itself rarely scares me, but I carry plenty of momentum and the idea that I might not be able to stop in time to avoid catastrophe makes me really nervous.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
40mph is no joke; hit a tree, another person, or fall the wrong way at that speed and it gets serious quickly.

I've owned flexy park boards where if I took them above 40mph and carved quickly in not-perfect snow there was a good chance the nose would hit a bump, dig in and bend upward, forcing an immediate unintentional 180. Even flat basing at 45mph felt like the upper limit. Stopping quickly on a board like that becomes a gamble.

The speed itself rarely scares me, but I carry plenty of momentum and the idea that I might not be able to stop in time to avoid catastrophe makes me really nervous.
Yep, definitely no joke and the feeling of being in control is crucial to me as well, consequences can be too high if you're not.

One of my worst memories on a board was on a Huck Knife coming in full speed from a wide green and hitting a hard last second carve to turn 90 degrees and get air off the edge into a (usually groomed) steep black run. It was spring, and they definitely hadn't groomed that run in a few days. Frozen spring push mound moguls the whole way down and I was already carrying way too much speed to try and scrub any of it. Just had to point it and absorb everything in front of me without becoming too airborne, if I ate shit I definitely would have been bounced off a few moguls and seriously hurt. I'd done the exact same thing dozens of times when that run was smoother so the speed itself wasn't a problem, but that board in those conditions definitely puckered me up and sketched me out enough to have never come full speed into that run blind again. Honestly very very stupid of me to have done that on a first time down that run for the day.

On a stiffer, damper more freeride type board I'd have been far more comfortable. I really think you're going to have a good eye opener to how differently boards can ride and what potential they can unlock! Welcome to your new, ever enlarging quiver ;)

Reactions: wrathfuldeity

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Going fast doesn't hurt.
Stopping fast does 😁

@BoarderHack89
I have a pass to blue so go there. Never been to creek but from what I've heard I'm not sure I really want to haha.
I think I have a few days on a pass to big snow but I'm not sure I really want to go there again given how everything is indoors etc. I thought I was going to get a refund. Need to check in on that. If they don't do that I might have to go back there at some point. I have a beater park ish board I can have fun with there. I've never really done park so figure it's something to try.
OOB folks seem like good stoked people but not really my shop of choice. I guess I don't really go to stores anymore. I miss Eastern boarder back in MA.
I bought my last board from a company rep that was selling off of demo boards. I'll probably keep doing that if I can.

I've also been told that the annex is much stiffer than the guchi pro. Not sure id like it tbh.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
@BoarderHack89 the ES should do you well in your progression. Its all a progression and figuring out/matching the best tool for your terrain, snow and skill level. I would imagine with a park background, you will pick up things very quickly with the ES. Definitely put a traditional cambered FR machine on your list in the future. Back in the day GNU did a traditional camber but with magnetraction...loved that board for learning to be comfortable on ice...it was a sad day when I snapped its tail. I've begged Merv pervs to do it again...and iirc they did a couple of prototypes that they brought to the LBS to demo...but ultimately they went the c3 route which ime is a MEH compared to straight up FR camber.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Came In today, going to get it waxed up and take it out tomorrow. Love the graphic. That C3 has absolutely no rocker, it’s Straight cAmber tip to tip with no uprise at all. Only things it’s extremely mild mag, Almost not even noticeable. One question, there are no marks for where reference is. The specs say 1 inch set back. Am I right in assuming reference is setting my stance and trying to get exactly an inch more nose then tail measuring from center of binding?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I usually start at the middle inserts and adjust my stance by making the changes as symmetrical as posssible from there. If I need to narrow by 1 inch I’ll pull the front binding back .5 and the back binding forward .5. No idea if that’s correct.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts