Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's sick! And you got me pumped up as well, I really want to get back my cab 5s (been sticking to a lot of fs 3s and bs 180s)… although they never looked as good as yours! Oh and my daughter will be 7 when I'm your age… perfect time to hit the park, who knows 😎

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's sick! And you got me pumped up as well, I really want to get back my cab 5s (been sticking to a lot of fs 3s and bs 180s)… although they never looked as good as yours! Oh and my daughter will be 7 when I'm your age… perfect time to hit the park, who knows 😎
Tell me about it. My son's 8 and my daughter's 10. I've been coaching both of them in the park for 2 years...

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I started riding at 29 and I'm in my 3rd season. Just started getting interested in doing simpler park stuff. Not sure I'll ever get the courage to try to throw a 540, but I'd be very happy learning how to even 360 at this point. Here's to a few days left this and then onwards to next season!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I started riding at 29 and I'm in my 3rd season. Just started getting interested in doing simpler park stuff. Not sure I'll ever get the courage to try to throw a 540, but I'd be very happy learning how to even 360 at this point. Here's to a few days left this and then onwards to next season!
This'll be written/spoken as an old man (hey, I started in '89) but: the equipment, the way the terrain is maintained and the way they now build the jumps, landings, etc. are so much better than they were 20-30 years ago. All of this makes it much easier to learn these tricks: you can use a more forgiving board (if that's what you need), the jumps are well maintained, which means the landings aren't as icy as they were back then and the take-offs are straighter and don't suffer from grooves, holes etc which used to throw us off kilter made us crash badly.

My point: nowadays all the conditions are there for people to progress as fast as they want to if they're willing to put the time and effort. Go for it!

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
This'll be written/spoken as an old man (hey, I started in '89) but: the equipment, the way the terrain is maintained and the way they now build the jumps, landings, etc. are so much better than they were 20-30 years ago. All of this makes it much easier to learn these tricks: you can use a more forgiving board (if that's what you need), the jumps are well maintained, which means the landings aren't as icy as they were back then and the take-offs are straighter and don't suffer from grooves, holes etc which used to throw us off kilter made us crash badly.

My point: nowadays all the conditions are there for people to progress as fast as they want to if they're willing to put the time and effort. Go for it!
A bunch of old injuries make me nervous. I'm much more someone that inches forward for this stuff vs full sends.

Have a skateboard ready to go for the 'off season' though!

Progress may be slow but it's progress! Looking forward to seeing how things go.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A bunch of old injuries make me nervous. I'm much more someone that inches forward for this stuff vs full sends.

Have a skateboard ready to go for the 'off season' though!

Progress may be slow but it's progress! Looking forward to seeing how things go.
Tell me about it. I have an orthopedic file quite thick... I hold back on a lot of stuff but there's a point where I still like to progress (or get back to stuff I used to do).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice spin you've got there. The grab is perfectly hold, which is better than whatever 5 i ever landed. And that was a few years ago.
I've always found maintaining 540 ability required some specific work each season, which i did not put up during the last 8 or so years. You kind of got me wanting to try again. I'm 43 by the way.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Very flattered by your comments. Thank you gentlemen!

As it turns out, I did a few of them today and slightly under-rotated one at the end of the day, which stretched my left calf ridiculously upon landing. I managed to ride down the hill but it was hard as F. Thought my achilles was snapped but just a tear in the muscle and definitely not that bad.
Should delay the start of the road bike season by a week or two.
I got lucky...
I feel you, this was my 40 year old season, last year I threw a cliff and dislocated my elbow and broke my wrist, the balance of going for it and having to show up for work on Monday is real

21 - 40 of 65 Posts