Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
What’s the prognosis on the recovery time?
3 weeks on crutches, then walking cast for a month or 2 ( to be determined, the ortho was vague about that part)
Shiiit dude sorry, looks like I’ll be putting the park deck back on the wall, get better
You shouldn't. Accidents happen. If that stops you you'll never do anything. And I'm saying this while the pain is hard today...
Damn that sucks. Hope you heal up for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trust me, I Will. I'll be on my road bike before the summer's over.

·
Registered
643 Posts
3 weeks on crutches, then walking cast for a month or 2 ( to be determined, the ortho was vague about that part)

You shouldn't. Accidents happen. If that stops you you'll never do anything. And I'm saying this while the pain is hard today...

Trust me, I Will. I'll be on my road bike before the summer's over.
haha not hanging it up by any means, but I’m ok at this point sticking to freeriding, jack myself up more the enough off piste, progressing in the park is more risk then my old man body is willing to take

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I feel like I've got too much hardware in my body to be riding park anymore... and then there's Jeremy Jones back on the steel again at his age after all his body has been through. Thankfully I'm content ripping turns and shredding powder these days. Even that seems dangerous enough.
He's got muscle memory that I couldnt even dream of though. Still so rad to see him back at it again though!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
I'm sure nobody cares much but I though I'd give a quick update:

I got surgery to repair my achille's tendon on april 28th
Surgery went well, especially considering that I walked on it 10 days before going to the ER (I really wasn't sure that it was my achille's... I'm dumb).
Spent 3 weeks in a cast.
When time came to take it off, they removed the staples holding the incision but found out I had a lot of blisters along the scar and decided not to take chances and put me back in a cast for an extra 3 weeks in order to avoid at all costs the incision reopening when I start putting pressure on the foot/ankle/calf/tendon, so that's 3 more weeks on crutches (absolutely no weight on the foot), which sucks.
The cast should finally go next friday, which means they'll put me in a walking-boot for a few months. I'll slowly be able to put weight on it and start physiotherapy. I'll be damned happy to start the "active" part of the process.
Should be a good year before I'm back 100%.
I might be able to ride my bike a bit this summer but it'll be easy-going if I get to.
Not 100% I'll be able to ride next winter either. Might be able to pull it off if I buy super stiff boots (so no freestyle) but I won't think too far ahead and concentrate on the next step first, which is getting to start walking again.

My buddy finally sent me the higher-res files so I made another gif for you all. Filmed in portrait but watcha gonna do...?

Sports equipment Snow Tree Sky Slope

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm sure nobody cares much but I though I'd give a quick update:

I got surgery to repair my achille's tendon on april 28th
Surgery went well, especially considering that I walked on it 10 days before going to the ER (I really wasn't sure that it was my achille's... I'm dumb).
Spent 3 weeks in a cast.
When time came to take it off, they removed the staples holding the incision but found out I had a lot of blisters along the scar and decided not to take chances and put me back in a cast for an extra 3 weeks in order to avoid at all costs the incision reopening when I start putting pressure on the foot/ankle/calf/tendon, so that's 3 more weeks on crutches (absolutely no weight on the foot), which sucks.
The cast should finally go next friday, which means they'll put me in a walking-boot for a few months. I'll slowly be able to put weight on it and start physiotherapy. I'll be damned happy to start the "active" part of the process.
Should be a good year before I'm back 100%.
I might be able to ride my bike a bit this summer but it'll be easy-going if I get to.
Not 100% I'll be able to ride next winter either. Might be able to pull it off if I buy super stiff boots (so no freestyle) but I won't think too far ahead and concentrate on the next step first, which is getting to start walking again.

My buddy finally sent me the higher-res files so I made another gif for you all. Filmed in portrait but watcha gonna do...?

View attachment 163156

Cheers!
freaking awesome! i'm 54,no way in hell would i try that. hats off to you. heal up and have fun next season.

Reactions: Surgeon

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Heal fast! Sorry about the news that you have to be back in the cast.

Hope you'll be back to activities soon!
Thanks brother. I do everything I can. Both my wife and I are surprised by how well I'm doing "morale-wise". It's gonna be a journey/process so I'll do all I can to be back on the bike/slopes as soon as it is safe to do so. I've had a LOT of sports-related injuries but this is by far the one that's gonna take the most time and work to come back from. Just being able to walk about a bit without crutches is gonna feel soooo good... hoping this day comes friday.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Out of the cast and into the walking boot. Seeing the state of the scar and skin around it explains why it has been so frickin' painful (very uncomfortable in the best moments) for the last 6 weeks. Lots of crusting due to huge blisters caused by swelling... nazzty!
Head Hand Plant Arm Eye

41 - 60 of 65 Posts