Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've recently grown out of my old LIB skate banana and am looking for a new board for the upcoming season. I'm 6 foot 2 and 72kg/150lb and have size 13 feet, which is a real issue when trying to find good boards. I'm an intermediate rider, preffering offpiste to the park, though I don't mind doing jumps.

At the moment, I'm trying to decide between the K2 Ultra Dream and the LIB skunk ape, and, nomatter how hard I try, I can't seem to decide between the 2. What are the main differences between the 2 and which would be best for me. If you have any other board suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Your requirements are not very specific - for instance, by "offpiste" do you mean steeps, powder, trees, etc.? Or all of the above? Where is most of your riding?

Neither of the two boards that you have mentioned are typical all around/all-mountain boards (although they certainly can be good at it). Between the two, the Skunk Ape is really aimed at heavy and powerful riders, so probably not so suitable for you at 150lbs. The Ultra is an awesome board but has a slant towards powder - if that is a good chunk of your intended riding it would be great choice, otherwise there might be better option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By ofpiste I mean through the trees, And I would like the board to be able to do well in powder too, though I don't get to ride in too much of it. I'd ideally like a true twin board, as I will be riding switch fairly often, but as I haven't seen any other options a directional twin will have to do. I'm open to other board options, as I said, but it's really hard finding ones that fit my big feet. I was previously going for the YES the greats 160W board untill I found out it's suitable for up to size 11 feet, so any ideas are much appreciated.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
By ofpiste I mean through the trees, And I would like the board to be able to do well in powder too, though I don't get to ride in too much of it. I'd ideally like a true twin board, as I will be riding switch fairly often, but as I haven't seen any other options a directional twin will have to do. I'm open to other board options, as I said, but it's really hard finding ones that fit my big feet. I was previously going for the YES the greats 160W board untill I found out it's suitable for up to size 11 feet, so any ideas are much appreciated.
Almost all wide boards will easily accommodate your size 13 feet, including the The Greats 160W. But you do not need such a long board - for true twins a Proto X 155 or 158 would work as well as -just of the top of my head- the Attack Banana or a Flow Rush (but both not much shorter at 159W...). Ride Machete (GT) is also a true twin and available at 154W and 157W (155W and 158W).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if your sure my feet will fit in a 255 wide board then I might stick with the YES board. What are the weight parameters for board size your using, cause the 2 sites I've been to say that a 159-160 is ideal for me

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well if your sure my feet will fit in a 255 wide board then I might stick with the YES board. What are the weight parameters for board size your using, cause the 2 sites I've been to say that a 159-160 is ideal for me
with size 13's i wouldn't get a board with a waist width of less than 264mm. But thats my choice, i wear size 13's as well. 255 seems just too narrow

·
Registered
493 Posts
I wear US13 too, and can confirm: you better get something 265+ to be comfy, unless you ride something like 30/15 and sharper.
Guess the boards in this range have about the same sidecut and the one with wider waist will be wider at the inserts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What other boards would you recommend? I'd go for the NS Proto CTX, but I've heard it's predominantly a park board. Any ideas?

·
Registered
778 Posts
What other boards would you recommend? I'd go for the NS Proto CTX, but I've heard it's predominantly a park board. Any ideas?
Riders choice W, ride berzerker W, I have most experience with these two boards and they're great, berzerker is my fav board. I've also ridden the skunk ape and would take the other two over that

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The riders choice looks pretty good, but the ride berzerker is a directional board so I'll give that one a miss. so far its a toss up between the riders choice and the proto X. which one is more all mountain focused?

·
Registered
778 Posts
The riders choice looks pretty good, but the ride berzerker is a directional board so I'll give that one a miss. so far its a toss up between the riders choice and the proto X. which one is more all mountain focused?
Only suggested it cos in your first post you said you didn't want one but may go that way, I've never ridden the NS so sorry not sure about the comparison, riders choice will however do it all, and well.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Yeah no shit, but the narrower the waist te narrower it is at the inserts, hence why I said 264 minimum.
Nope, only if all else is equal. But different sidecuts will result in different widths at the bindings - which is all that matters as has already been mentioned. Waist width by itself is meaningless.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Nope, only if all else is equal. But different sidecuts will result in different widths at the bindings - which is all that matters as has already been mentioned. Waist width by itself is meaningless.
There would be very few, maybe a handful of boards that the waist width has no bearing on the width of the iboard at the nserts. So my point stands correct that the narrower the waist the narrower the width at the inserts.

How many boards that fit into the category he wants have a 255 or similar waist width and then a width at the inserts similar to one of a 265 waist width? And if you know, then which ones, because short of measuring each and every board, that is the best way to be safe.

It is of course 1cm we're talking about but with size 13's the less overhang the better, why make it worse by buying a board that makes things more difficult?

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
There would be very few, maybe a handful of boards that the waist width has no bearing on the width of the iboard at the nserts. So my point stands correct that the narrower the waist the narrower the width at the inserts.

How many boards that fit into the category he wants have a 255 or similar waist width and then a width at the inserts similar to one of a 265 waist width? And if you know, then which ones, because short of measuring each and every board, that is the best way to be safe.

It is of course 1cm we're talking about but with size 13's the less overhang the better, why make it worse by buying a board that makes things more difficult?
I am sorry, but that is bullshit. Here are a couple of my previous posts on this matter:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/49354-looking-advice-all-mountain-board-2.html#post515431

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51573-lib-tech-banana-magic-btx-hp.html#post544846

In particular, note the second post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The YES board has a waist width of 155 and a tip/tail width of 302 (sidecut of 7.7/8.3m). Compared to the NS Proto, with a waist width of 265 and a tip width of 311 (sidecut of 7.5m), I find it hard to believe that it would be as wide as the NS and able to accommodate 29cm long feet, even with it's wider sidecut radius.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm not really sure what you are trying to argue here, I read those posts and am still unsure. MY point is that the waist width has a direct influence of how wide the board is at the inserts. Do you disagree with this? Does this vary per board and manufacturer? Of course it does, BUT how many boards are there that are super narrow at the waist and wide at the inserts (i mean more than a couple of mm).

When i had my riders choice (166W) I cant remember exactly although i have written it here before, the waist width is around 264mm and where my bindings were was around 280mm. I measured the non wide board as i was interested in buying it and the difference was roughly 1cm. Now dont quote that as Gospel as i dont have the measurements in front of me and cant be shagged looking up the website.

BUT point is, as i have always said. The waist width will directly influence the width of the board at the inserts. The narrower the waist, the narrower the board at the inserts. Which btw is why they have WIDE boards, for guys with big feet.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I'm not really sure what you are trying to argue here, I read those posts and am still unsure. MY point is that the waist width has a direct influence of how wide the board is at the inserts. Do you disagree with this? Does this vary per board and manufacturer? Of course it does, BUT how many boards are there that are super narrow at the waist and wide at the inserts (i mean more than a couple of mm).
No, I absolutely do not agree with that - because it is factually incorrect. Waist width only has a direct influence on width at inserts if everything else is equal (sidecut, edge technology, stance width, etc.).

There are plenty of boards that are narrow at the waist and wide at the inserts. I provided the example of the Banana Magic - for instance a regular width 161 Magic is considerable narrower at the waist than say a 158W Dark Series (25.5 vs. 26.3) but about the same width at the inserts and wider at the nose/tail.
There are plenty of other examples.

[SNIP]
BUT point is, as i have always said. The waist width will directly influence the width of the board at the inserts. The narrower the waist, the narrower the board at the inserts. Which btw is why they have WIDE boards, for guys with big feet.
As demonstrated, it is false that "waist width will directly influence the width of the board at the inserts" while ignoring other factors. That is why wide boards typically are not just wider versions of the regular deck, but also change sidecut radius, etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts