Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we get a really good snowboard season this year? Of course, we do. So I am looking for a new board for this season. An all-mountain freeride kind of board, but not for the park (for that I have my Never Summer Funslinger). I am replacing my Lib Tech TRS HP 154 and Burton Deep Thinker 157W. Both have been in use for a couple of years now. I really like them both, for different reasons though. This is for my ride with my buddies (most of them are sadly skiers:) where we carve in the piste, try to find some powder and if I can convince them find some tree lines.
So now I am looking at the Lib Tech Golden Orca. I am not a bomber down the hill but I like the stability I get from the Deep thinker and the edge grip for TRS. I am 5'6" and 155lbs and I have been riding for 15+ years now.
The Golden Orca comes in 153 and 157 and Lib Tech says it can be downsized 1-3 cm.
So should I go for the playfulness of the 53 or the stability/powder floating 57?
Any comments and experience info are welcome.
(The graphic of this board is sick:).
Sports equipment Electric blue Font Skateboard Recreation

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do we get a really good snowboard season this year? Of course, we do. So I am looking for a new board for this season. An all-mountain freeride kind of board, but not for the park (for that I have my Never Summer Funslinger). I am replacing my Lib Tech TRS HP 154 and Burton Deep Thinker 157W. Both have been in use for a couple of years now. I really like them both, for different reasons though. This is for my ride with my buddies (most of them are sadly skiers:) where we carve in the piste, try to find some powder and if I can convince them find some tree lines.
So now I am looking at the Lib Tech Golden Orca. I am not a bomber down the hill but I like the stability I get from the Deep thinker and the edge grip for TRS. I am 5'6" and 155lbs and I have been riding for 15+ years now.
The Golden Orca comes in 153 and 157 and Lib Tech says it can be downsized 1-3 cm.
So should I go for the playfulness of the 53 or the stability/powder floating 57?
Any comments and experience info are welcome.
(The graphic of this board is sick:).
View attachment 159190
hey man!

the graphics of this one are soooo sick!! Anyways, in my opinion, the difference in choice between 4/5cm less or 4/5cm more, always comes down to several and personal factors.

Of course you can ride BOTH boards and do just fine. But then ask yourself the following questions:

Do you ride mostly groomers or often go ride in powder?
Groomers, 153 will be enough with your specs. 157cm will give you a tangible difference while floating over powder however...

If you often go freeriding, what is it that you mostly do? Steep open alpine faces or areas in the woods / tight trees?
Steep open faces obviously go with 157, but if woods is your answer then you´re gonna want more manouverability to do tight turns that the 153 will offer you

if you mostly ride groomers what is it that you like doing? Playing around with side hits, 180s, cruising around or point the board downhill and charge at full speed?
153 will be more playful, but if you often go in 6th gear, then the 157cm will offer a more damp and stable ride

Only you know these answers :)
ME personally, for what I like doing, I would probably go for the 157cm with your specs, but again, that´s just me!

hope this helps!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
hey man!

the graphics of this one are soooo sick!! Anyways, in my opinion, the difference in choice between 4/5cm less or 4/5cm more, always comes down to several and personal factors.

Of course you can ride BOTH boards and do just fine. But then ask yourself the following questions:

Do you ride mostly groomers or often go ride in powder?
Groomers, 153 will be enough with your specs. 157cm will give you a tangible difference while floating over powder however...

If you often go freeriding, what is it that you mostly do? Steep open alpine faces or areas in the woods / tight trees?
Steep open faces obviously go with 157, but if woods is your answer then you´re gonna want more manouverability to do tight turns that the 153 will offer you

if you mostly ride groomers what is it that you like doing? Playing around with side hits, 180s, cruising around or point the board downhill and charge at full speed?
153 will be more playful, but if you often go in 6th gear, then the 157cm will offer a more damp and stable ride

Only you know these answers :)
ME personally, for what I like doing, I would probably go for the 157cm with your specs, but again, that´s just me!

hope this helps!
Thanks, it helps and confirms my thoughts about length too.
So with my friend going lite faster down the hill (most skiers):
  • As I said I am not a bomber down the hill. But I like to carve and I would like the stability I have with the Deep thinker. On this part the 57 is better, but I think 53 will be good enough.
  • Finding really deep powder where I live is hard so the 53 will be enough with the powder I find.
  • The only concern is when (if) we go to Engelberg (Switzerland) with big open areas of deep powder. Then the 57 will be at its best. But I also have a Burton Flight attendant splitboard 157. So if we go to Engelberg I bring both. :)

Riding with my kids it's more playing around and then the 53 will be the right board.

So, the 53 will be the right board....or....) These decisions. If I could try it before I buy it then I would know, but a golden orca is hard to find in Sweden and even harder to try before you buy.

The only concern right now is if it's to firm. It would be good to know if the flex differs between the 53 and the 57, and also compared against my TRS and Deep thinker. I guess the latter ones are softer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts