·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More an impression than a full review.
150lbs
Size 8 K2 Enders
Switchbacks

Enough time here an you'll know my general feelings on everything I've ridden from Mervin. I generally feel they are snowboarding on cruise control and just don't have that much life. So now the Hot Knife. C3 is everything Mervin needed. The board was lively on edge and if I really loaded the tips with everything I had is smushed a little, but for the most part the snap was good and plentiful. Mellow mag is what Mervin should be using on everything. It's plenty grippy and doesn't get in the way. The tips are just soft enough to play around on without sacrificing the stiffness they need to be snappy.

Overall impression: New favorite Mervin. Seriously a fun ride and something I do recommend. Really fun do anything twin.

I like a Mervin... I feel dirty

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I agree with Nivek in pretty much every point. I have a '13 Hot Knife that I picked up last season and love it. Especially for east coast conditions.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
compare with the k2 happy hour, that you have tested, witch one is more versatile and playful , and drive well in powder?
Hard to say since my ride on tue Hot Kjife was early season park and groomers. Based on bend profile the Happy Hour is probably a little faster in pow. It has a flatter overall shape which will plane better. The Hot Knife is softer in the tips.

If I was picking between the two I'd be inclined to go with the Happy Hour. Just a bit more energetic ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How does the hot knife compare with the billy goat? Same profile, right? Billy more stiff? What's better for all around cruising/freeride/freestyle?

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Old thread, but I want to chime in in support of the C3 profile as well. The Hot Knife 156 was my first Mervin board (followed by a Lando Phoenix and a Space Case). I didn't appreciate the C3 profile until I returned to it after a brief foray into Rocker-Camber-Rocker territory. The Hot Knife is exceptional -- stable, fast, quick enough edge-to-edge, rails turns whether the terrain is soft, hardpack/ice, groomers, chop, slushy. It has just the right amount of magnetraction and is completely predictable. All Lib-Tech would need to do is turn up the tip and tail/shovel them out to make it my do-everything, go everywhere board. As it stands, it's my go-to for everything except fresh snowfall.

Reactions: dan808

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am looking to pick up a 16/17 hot knife and trying to decide to go with a 156w or 1159w. I am about 215lb so wondering if the 56 will be too small. Has anyone ridden both and was there a noticeable difference in the ride? What else can I share with you guys to give me a better opinion?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am looking to pick up a 16/17 hot knife and trying to decide to go with a 156w or 1159w. I am about 215lb so wondering if the 56 will be too small. Has anyone ridden both and was there a noticeable difference in the ride? What else can I share with you guys to give me a better opinion?
159 or bigger @ your weight. I'm 165-170 and I can push around a 156 easily

·
Registered
54 Posts
How does it compare against the attack banana.
I'm still on the hunt to find my perfect fun all mountain Mervin board here on the east coast.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sadly I didn't get a chance to ride it. The last two times I was gonna go it was raining. Also I've never ridden the attack banana so I wouldn't have been able to give you a comparison.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Follow-up: I sold my 2015-16 Hot Knife 156 cm a couple of months ago and picked up a 2017-18 159 cm. I can't say enough good things about this board. If you're looking for a true twin, camber-dominant, aggressive all-mountain freestyle board this is such an incredibly good one.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Follow-up: I sold my 2015-16 Hot Knife 156 cm a couple of months ago and picked up a 2017-18 159 cm. I can't say enough good things about this board. If you're looking for a true twin, camber-dominant, aggressive all-mountain freestyle board this is such an incredibly good one.

That board is on my list. What was the reason for going longer? Can you tell the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Edit: Yes, there is a noticeable difference between "adjacent" sizes of the same board; not everyone will appreciate it, and it won't be noticeable in all terrains/conditions. If you only ever have one size, you'll adjust (or not) to the way it rides, anyway. I think some people end up not liking boards because they ended up with the wrong size for how/what/where they ride. I went longer for better edge hold as I was finding the 156, over time, to not be holding on as much as I would have liked (or even as much as I remembered it doing previously).

Reactions: Quandom

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
...All Lib-Tech would need to do is turn up the tip and tail/shovel them out to make it my do-everything, go everywhere board. As it stands, it's my go-to for everything except fresh snowfall.
It turns out the answer to that wish already existed.

Fredi Kalbermatten rode the Hot Knife when he started riding for Lib-Tech. When it came time for his own pro model, he based it on the Hot Knife, but elongated the nose and added taper to get the Swiss Knife; still C3, still centred stance but upgraded construction.

I got my hands on a deeply-discounted 17-18 Swiss Knife, but won't get to ride it until next season.

Reactions: Quandom

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...All Lib-Tech would need to do is turn up the tip and tail/shovel them out to make it my do-everything, go everywhere board. As it stands, it's my go-to for everything except fresh snowfall.
It turns out the answer to that wish already existed.

Fredi Kalbermatten rode the Hot Knife when he started riding for Lib-Tech. When it came time for his own pro model, he based it on the Hot Knife, but elongated the nose and added taper to get the Swiss Knife; still C3, still centred stance but upgraded construction.

I got my hands on a deeply-discounted 17-18 Swiss Knife, but won't get to ride it until next season.
It's a beef stick. Like Arbys meats ain't got nothing on the Swiss Knife. Better get to squatting this summer to prep for it. Which as long as you can power through it, it does actually shred, and it's got a pretty good sidecut.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Haha, sounds fine by me. This is going to be the longest summer yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My thoughts on C3BTX:
I had no chance to test the Hot Knife but the Jamie Lynn C3BTX 151 and the Box Knife 154 which come with C3.
Jamie Lynn 151: aggressive steep Camber 7mm high under the bindings, 6mm in the middle, about 0.5inch of early rise in tip and tail
directional very stable, lively, poppy, locked in camber ride, punishes any riding mistake, some chatter and vibraions on bumpy slopes

Box Knife 154: steep Camber 4.5mm high under the bindings, 4mm in the middle, about 5-6 inches of early rise in tip and tail
very much like the Jamie Lynn but more forgiving, also directional very stable locked in but with minor chatters on bumpy terrain

What I found the most impressive riding both C3 Boards:
If you land a jump bad/almost washing out, the very steep camber grips so hard so it rescued me several times from washing out on a landing.
I never experienced that amount of rescue grip before even on other camberboards like the Custom X.

The edge grips very good on the outer contact points. The Magnetraction is very subtle (about 0.5mm high waves) and improves the edgegrip in the center of the board a bit but the most grip is at the ends near the bindings. The Magnetraction/Magtek of C2BTX/BTX and Rossignol is about 1mm to 2mm high and grips a lot better in the center of the board so the boardends on Rossignols RCR Amptek are feeling much more loose than C3. C2 even more loose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts