Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a Burton rider for many years and for the last 10 years I've been on the Custom X. I'm a camber fan but these two boards (Hot Knife / Ripsaw ) seem to be in the middle of the camber / rocker profile.

I ride the east so I'm favoring the Hot Knife just because of the mag-trac.

Any input on these two board? It's tough to find a Lib or NS demo day in the east so I'm looking for input on these boards.

Me:

1. Riding 20 years on the east coast - mostly VT
  2. boot: 9
  3. 155 lbs
  4. On a Custom X for the last 10 years and look for something non-Burton
  5. Freeriding / carving / groomers - no park

Thanks - Jim

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Was this just because of the icy hard conditions out where you are?
Yes.... conditions at Jay where icy, seemed to have more confidence riding 159, HotKnife rather than the 159 RipSaw. I'm 6'3" 220Lb. Another reason was I bought the 164 DarkerSeries which made the 159 RipSaw less of an option. This year there is a 162 RipSaw option.

·
Registered
135 Posts
To the OP: I was in somewhat of the same place you were last year. I live in the midwest which isn't quite as bad as the ice coast, but the mange-trac sold me on my t.rice pro hp. It makes a huge improvement, no slippage at all for me. That being said, I have looked at the darker in person and I wasn't really impressed. It felt too heavy and I think that board would really be strictly for carving or all-mountain. I would never take it in the park. I was considering the Hot knife, but I liked the camber profile on the t.rice better. I really think that Lib Tech makes quality boards though, so you can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own both boards and board on the east coast at JayPeak VT, and Seven Springs PA. Seem to favor the HotKnife over the RipSaw as the season came to a close.
What made you prefer the HK over the ripsaw? I bought the HK looking for something more playful that could be aggressive when needed, seems like the ripsaw would be better for that, as the HK is cambered. Does that little rocker in the middle of the hk make any difference in riding?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Coming from a Custom Xa Hotknife is gonna feel too soft. From Mervin you want a Lynn Classic.

Non-Burtons like the Custom X
Nitro Pantera, Jones Aviator, K2 Slayblade, Slash ATV or Aurora, Flow Blackout, Salomon Mans Board, or a Ride Highlife.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,174 Posts
I have looked at the darker in person and I wasn't really impressed. It felt too heavy and I think that board would really be strictly for carving or all-mountain. I would never take it in the park.
The OP said he wasn't riding the park - freeride/carving/groomers is what he does.

I've ridden the Hot Knife, Ripsaw, and the Darker Series.
For the type of riding the OP does, definitely the Darker Series.

Per Nivek though, if the Darker is too stiff for his liking, the Jaime Lynn 20Y boards would be recommended.

And yes, magnetraction is better than vario grip on the ice coast.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Coming from a Custom Xa Hotknife is gonna feel too soft. From Mervin you want a Lynn Classic.

Non-Burtons like the Custom X
Nitro Pantera, Jones Aviator, K2 Slayblade, Slash ATV or Aurora, Flow Blackout, Salomon Mans Board, or a Ride Highlife.
Do the jones "mellow magentraction" boards fare well in the hard/icy conditions?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Camber dominant, stiffer, and mellow mag.... yeah....

Reactions: Sohi

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've been a Burton rider for many years and for the last 10 years I've been on the Custom X. I'm a camber fan but these two boards (Hot Knife / Ripsaw ) seem to be in the middle of the camber / rocker profile.

I ride the east so I'm favoring the Hot Knife just because of the mag-trac.

Any input on these two board? It's tough to find a Lib or NS demo day in the east so I'm looking for input on these boards.

Me:

1. Riding 20 years on the east coast - mostly VT
  2. boot: 9
  3. 155 lbs
  4. On a Custom X for the last 10 years and look for something non-Burton
  5. Freeriding / carving / groomers - no park

Thanks - Jim
Agreed with Nivek. Lynn Classic. Camber board, Lib Tech dampening and mag for ice

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do the jones "mellow magentraction" boards fare well in the hard/icy conditions?
dear Bertieman, from my personal experience (I ride Jones Flagship 2014 - NS Chairman 2015), on icy conditions the mellow magnetraction grips very well with the board "sideways" (i.e.: braking), but I find the Vario powergrip to hold better an icy turn if already "locked in" a carve. My friends, much more expert than me, confirm this... would be happy to hear other opinions in that matter.

dear Custom55, if you want to stick with the initial brands you proposed, basing on your personal data I would choose the Chairman instead of the Ripsaw, if going NS.

I am no expert rider like you, so please take it as a personal suggestion/opinion!

Regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
The OP said he wasn't riding the park - freeride/carving/groomers is what he does.

I've ridden the Hot Knife, Ripsaw, and the Darker Series.
For the type of riding the OP does, definitely the Darker Series.

Per Nivek though, if the Darker is too stiff for his liking, the Jaime Lynn 20Y boards would be recommended.

And yes, magnetraction is better than vario grip on the ice coast.
Which of these 3 boards would be best on a NASTAR course?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What made you pick the HK over the ripsaw? I bought the HK searching out something extra playful that could be competitive when needed, looks to buying the best budget knife tool for surviving use as if the ripsaw might be higher for that, because the HK is cambered. Does that little rocker inside the center of the hk make any difference in riding?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.