Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck between these two boards.

I'm 5'7" 210lbs. I normally just ride groomers, hard packs snow, and ice (east coast riding).

I am looking for a good all mountain board. Somethings I can take hard carves with and hold tight lines. Whip out the back easily and lay down some sprays.

I really never get to ride in powder and I only hit jumps never rails.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Those boards are very similar but the darker is a bit stiffer and has a little more tech, should be faster edge to edge, and have more pop. Both would serve you well. I ride a darker so I'm a little biased.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those boards are very similar but the darker is a bit stiffer and has a little more tech, should be faster edge to edge, and have more pop. Both would serve you well. I ride a darker so I'm a little biased.
What do you mean by 'faster edge to edge'

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,140 Posts
Agree.
The Darker Series will be a little more aggressive.
Narrow waist and bamboo risers add to the edge to edge transition advantage.

For OP: edge to edge transition is simply moving from your toe edge to your heel edge. Better handling boards will make this easier/faster to do. Aggressive riders tend to look for this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree.
The Darker Series will be a little more aggressive.
Narrow waist and bamboo risers add to the edge to edge transition advantage.

For OP: edge to edge transition is simply moving from your toe edge to your heel edge. Better handling boards will make this easier/faster to do. Aggressive riders tend to look for this.
For what I want to do, like slashing around massive carving is that going to be better?

Right now I am riding a Burton Custom 156, I was looking to get the Darker Series 161 of the Phoenix 160

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,140 Posts
Between the two libs I would choose the Darker Series, but I own one, whereas I have not ridden the Jaimie Lynn. It sounds like you want an aggressive board, so the Darker definitely fits the bill.

If you have been happy with your Custom, you might consider moving up to the Custom X (but definitely in a longer size given your weight).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Between the two libs I would choose the Darker Series, but I own one, whereas I have not ridden the Jaimie Lynn. It sounds like you want an aggressive board, so the Darker definitely fits the bill.

If you have been happy with your Custom, you might consider moving up to the Custom X (but definitely in a longer size given your weight).
I was looking at the X but I wanted something different with a little rocker.

I think the Lib Tech C3 sounds pretty nice because it is mostly camber with a little rock, how do you like it?

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,140 Posts
I prefer the XC2 contour of the TRS personally.
I tend to ride all day when I go out and I find full camber (or close to it like C3) to get exhausting because you have to use very good form to avoid catching an edge. The XC2 contour has enough rocker in the middle to "loosen up" the ride while still being quite stable.

But the Darker Series is definitely the more aggressive riding board, which is what it sounds like you want.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I prefer the XC2 contour of the TRS personally.
I tend to ride all day when I go out and I find full camber (or close to it like C3) to get exhausting because you have to use very good form to avoid catching an edge. The XC2 contour has enough rocker in the middle to "loosen up" the ride while still being quite stable.

But the Darker Series is definitely the more aggressive riding board, which is what it sounds like you want.
I would get the TRS but I live on the East Coast, I need something that can hold a tight edge.

I am use to riding a full camber board, I have ridden my Custom for over 10 years

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I would get the TRS but I live on the East Coast, I need something that can hold a tight edge.

I am use to riding a full camber board, I have ridden my Custom for over 10 years
I demo'd the JL Phoenix c3..(learned on cambered and still ride alot of time on traditional cambered). Anyway the JLPc3 was meh. imho nothing is going to be better than traditional camber with stiff torsional flex. Years ago had an old cambered gnu with mag...fun board...the mag gave it some grip...but also slowed it down, but it was a nice ice cruising board (not a ice rocketship).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I demo'd the JL Phoenix c3..(learned on cambered and still ride alot of time on traditional cambered). Anyway the JLPc3 was meh. imho nothing is going to be better than traditional camber with stiff torsional flex. Years ago had an old cambered gnu with mag...fun board...the mag gave it some grip...but also slowed it down, but it was a nice ice cruising board (not a ice rocketship).
Did you notice the difference between the C3 and traditional cambered boards?
I would like a board that's easier to ride than my Custom.

I recently messed up my knee and it is harder to hold my edges on my custom because of all the pressure I have to put down. I keep sliding out.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I was looking at the X but I wanted something different with a little rocker.

I think the Lib Tech C3 sounds pretty nice because it is mostly camber with a little rock, how do you like it?
btw...that c3 little rocker...will not allow you to lock in during the apex of the carve...it will tend to wash. And to deal with this you are then forced to get on the nose or tail cambered piece and somewhat be like skating on the nose or tail ride/carve on half a cambered board...make sense? Ime...thus you can't rail a carve like you can on a traditional cambered. The advantage of c2 or c3 is that it is more agile in that you can roll to the edge instead of having to release/pop/snap to the next edge like in cambered...(but then with c2/c3 you loose some of the pop/liveliness of the cambered). YMMV

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Did you notice the difference between the C3 and traditional cambered boards?
I would like a board that's easier to ride than my Custom.

I recently messed up my knee and it is harder to hold my edges on my custom because of all the pressure I have to put down. I keep sliding out.
I'm not really a fan of c3...to me c3 is bs...might as well ride a cambered and have the liveliness and snap. But I do understand cambered, :injured: knees and being tired and the holy frick'n hold on or get punished.

But with your knee...and wanting to relax a bit...ime that old cambered gnu with mag would fit the bill.

GNU folks...get back on the cambered mag wagon...frick'n forget about c3...its bullshit :gaah:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
btw...that c3 little rocker...will not allow you to lock in during the apex of the carve...it will tend to wash. And to deal with this you are then forced to get on the nose or tail cambered piece and somewhat be like skating on the nose or tail ride/carve on half a cambered board...make sense? Ime...thus you can't rail a carve like you can on a traditional cambered. The advantage of c2 or c3 is that it is more agile in that you can roll to the edge instead of having to release/pop/snap to the next edge like in cambered...(but then with c2/c3 you loose some of the pop/liveliness of the cambered). YMMV
What do you mean I will wash at the apex??

Are you say on this you can put even pressure on both feet to hold a carve??

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
What do you mean I will wash at the apex??

Are you say on this you can put even pressure on both feet to hold a carve??
with that bit of rocker...you loose the locked in pressure of the cam points of the nose and tail (you can't de-camber the middle of the board...its already de-cambered "rockered")...so you end up washing/sliding in the middle of the carve. Now perhaps its a tad easier to "rock" into and out of the turn at the initiation and ending phase of the carve but in the middle, you don't have near the capicity for the ability to sink-in or compress to lock in the edge at the apex of the carve...and push against it to be more aggressive and then to snap to the next edge...(talking about cross under snapping edge to edge.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
with that bit of rocker...you loose the locked in pressure of the cam points of the nose and tail (you can't de-camber the middle of the board...its already de-cambered "rockered")...so you end up washing/sliding in the middle of the carve. Now perhaps its a tad easier to "rock" into and out of the turn at the initiation and ending phase of the carve but in the middle, you don't have near the capicity for the ability to sink-in or compress to lock in the edge at the apex of the carve...and push against it to be more aggressive and then to snap to the next edge...(talking about cross under snapping edge to edge.)
Man, you are almost talking me out of getting any hybrid boards now.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Man, you are almost talking me out of getting any hybrid boards now.
hybrids are just a different tool for different riding and conditions. I have a billygoat split and bpro...both c2btx but with different torsional flex profiles. Both are fun and great for blasting a bit of pow and some soft packed...but for ice bomb/cruising...not so much.

edit: with your knee injury...maybe a softer flex cambered board. I have an old option trinity 158 that is a stiff cambered freeride that can be a bit beastly. So if I want to take it easier, I ride the old option K Starr 155 that is cambered directional twin with a softer flex...works great for groomer cruising and ice cruising.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hybrids are just a different tool for different riding and conditions. I have a billygoat split and bpro...both c2btx but with different torsional flex profiles. Both are fun and great for blasting a bit of pow and some soft packed...but for ice bomb/cruising...not so much.
I am a little afraid to buy a new board. I have only ever ridden my Custom.

I honestly have no clue if I ride correctly. I think I skid my turns? I just ride.

My background is in downhill longboarding so I pretty much ride a snowboard like a longboard, seems to work ok expect on steep stuff, then I have to ride differently.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Stop thinking so much its not rocket science it's snowboarding. There are a lot of good recommendations in this thread and I'm sure you will be happy any which way you go. Some people love hybrid profiles some people hate them you won't know until you try but I think any of these boards you mentioned you would be more then happy with.

If you think your form is wrong that is a whole different thread. If you post a video of your riding members here would be able to pinpoint exactly where you can improve. Also look through Wraths previous threads he has some really good videos on proper riding technique.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts