Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by apologizing I hate posting up on here asking a what board kind of question.

So im going into my 2nd season of snowboarding this coming year, got in a ton of riding last winter out here in Germany where im stationed and decided id treat myself to a nice board and heard allot of good whispers about Lib Tech so I ordered up a Lib Tech T.Rice Pro HP 161.5 but just noticed today in the gear reviews some threads about Lib Techs having problems with top sheet peeling and its got me 2nd guessing my order and if I should go with something else while ive got the chance to change my order before shipment arrives in and my order gets shipped out.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm I sure hope so, i'd really hate to spend that kind of money and have a board that's top sheet is all tore up and peeling like cheap wallpaper lol. I was also maybe considering a 2014 Never Summer Proto HD 160 as an alternative.

·
Registered
451 Posts
nah man, don't start worrying about damage to your board that you haven't even ridden yet. the people that talk about that kind of damage are probably in the lift lines in the beginner areas getting chopped up by rental skis. stick to your guns

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nah man, don't start worrying about damage to your board that you haven't even ridden yet. the people that talk about that kind of damage are probably in the lift lines in the beginner areas getting chopped up by rental skis. stick to your guns
Yea unfortunately that describes the areas ive dealt with here in Germany, the germans come in flocks to run the mountain to ice sheets then flock away, and in the midst of all that the lift lines are always a nightmare of skiers banging their skies into the tail of my board and poking my topsheet with their poles. That's why im worried. My 2013 Salomon Villain held up to it fairly well but the top sheet is pretty sturdy on that thing.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I'm sure for what you paid for the TRice HP, I would hope the top sheet wouldn't peel off like wallpaper...

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure for what you paid for the TRice HP, I would hope the top sheet wouldn't peel off like wallpaper...
Yea that's what many say but if you look at the Mervin review part of the forum they all make it sound very common a problem.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Mervin makes great product. Anything that gets used is going to look used. Shit happens and your stuff gets scratched...... car, bike, snowboard....

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mervin makes great product. Anything that gets used is going to look used. Shit happens and your stuff gets scratched...... car, bike, snowboard....
I agree, scratching is understandable, it's losing chunks of top sheet I'd like to avoid

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't sweat it shit happens. I bought my wife a brand new Arbor flight and on her first day out her skier girl friend ran right over the last 8" of her tail and put a nice gouge in it. She was pissed but I told her it was broken in so we started doing glade runs. When we got home I put epoxy on it and its all good. Stay away from skiers though.:D

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't sweat it shit happens. I bought my wife a brand new Arbor flight and on her first day out her skier girl friend ran right over the last 8" of her tail and put a nice gouge in it. She was pissed but I told her it was broken in so we started doing glade runs. When we got home I put epoxy on it and its all good. Stay away from skiers though.:D
Shit I wish it were easy enough but the areas I snowboarded last year in Germany you couldn't really get away from the skiers, ive had skiers run over the end of my Salomon Villain a few times last season and beat on my tail in lift lines like no other, this season ill be pushing into Austria more but im expecting much of the same, they don't care how much anyone elses stuff is they just want to push to the front of the lift lines. If I didn't have to worry about that stuff it wouldn't really bother me, and what I gather from the Mervin review threads is that the bio bean top sheet,sandwiching construction, and lack of full wrap around metals leads to a weaker more tear prone top sheet. Im not sure how true it is.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Shit I wish it were easy enough but the areas I snowboarded last year in Germany you couldn't really get away from the skiers, ive had skiers run over the end of my Salomon Villain a few times last season and beat on my tail in lift lines like no other, this season ill be pushing into Austria more but im expecting much of the same, they don't care how much anyone elses stuff is they just want to push to the front of the lift lines. If I didn't have to worry about that stuff it wouldn't really bother me, and what I gather from the Mervin review threads is that the bio bean top sheet,sandwiching construction, and lack of full wrap around metals leads to a weaker more tear prone top sheet. Im not sure how true it is.
See my response in the other thread.

And full wrap metal edges will do little (if anything) to protect your topsheet.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
There are plenty of people here that ski. Who gives a shit, that's a fucking stupid statement. I seemed to manage just fine over my 160ish days last season. Either that or smokin just makes indestructible boards for my son and I. I doubt that....

Aside from all that, mervin is a good company and I am sure they would warranty a defect like this. One or two or twenty of these events isn't shit compared to the thousands of boards they make.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts