Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some advice please. I need a new board and I can't decide between Burton Parkitect and Lib Tech Skate Banana BTX. I want to use it for freeride and sometimes for some jump tricks. I also want to improve my skills. And there are often icy conditions where I ride.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Did you mean freestyle instead of freeride??

Those are (mostly) park boards, not even all mountain freestyle boards really.
And definitely not freeride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, sorry I wrote that wrong. Need something playfull but also usable in higher speed and icy slopes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you want a Mervin board that rocks the park and is fun all mountain check out the Lib Tech Burtner BoxScratcher. I rode with a guy who was on one last year he had no issues anywhere on the mountain. Lib tried to make a park board that is an all mountain board with the Boxscratcher.

My son (115lbs size 9 boot) rides back country on a 147 Skatebanana and loves it. He is getting a 142 Boxscratcher this year as a stiffer, shorter version of his Skate Banana and we will see how he likes it. He wants a shorter board for park/spin tricks but the Burtner might be on the stiff side for what he likes and his weight.

The Attack Banana might be a good one to look into as well. It's a stiffer Skatebanana but my understanding is that it wasn't designed to be run as short as the Boxscratcher is.

Link to a quick Boxscratcher review.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why is the Parkitect better? I'd be greatful for more information, cons and pros, experiences....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why is the Parkitect better? I'd be greatful for more information, cons and pros, experiences....
Nivek isn't a Mervin fan. On the flipside I find myself to be a Mervin kool aid drinker and love thier boards.

What's funny is that I used to really think Mervin's Banana Tech Magna stuff was total and complete horseshit and I dismissed it and rode an old carvy all mountain board and did just fine on it... then I rode a new Lib Tech and I was sold.

Between me, my son and wife we own 5 or 6 Mervin decks now! To be honest though, I'm sure I would like most of the new hybrid rocker decks coming out many of them look great. I keep looking at Bateleon, Yes and Burton stuff more and more.

As always take not just ours, but any opinions on any online forum with big grains on salt and decide for yourself which board you gravitate towards. :)

Ideally you should ride both boards in identical conditions and see which you like but that is hard to do most of the time for most of us.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
The Banana is a park board trying to be an all mountain everything board and has just failed at both. Its flex is more mid all mountain but with Libs shapes you really need C2 to make it work. The Banana ends up feeling very blah, and if you try to load the tips for an ollie they just sorta mush out. Magne is like cruise control for your snowboard: it basically turns for you. Not great in the the park when you want to have fine edge control for take offs and approaches.

The Parkitects asym is the best I've been on. Its a bit below mid flex park deck so it will be fairly forgiving but being full camber when you need it it will be precise and decently powerful. Its a pretty rad park deck and still decent outside the park.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Banana is a park board trying to be an all mountain everything board and has just failed at both. Its flex is more mid all mountain but with Libs shapes you really need C2 to make it work. The Banana ends up feeling very blah, and if you try to load the tips for an ollie they just sorta mush out. Magne is like cruise control for your snowboard: it basically turns for you. Not great in the the park when you want to have fine edge control for take offs and approaches.

The Parkitects asym is the best I've been on. Its a bit below mid flex park deck so it will be fairly forgiving but being full camber when you need it it will be precise and decently powerful. Its a pretty rad park deck and still decent outside the park.
I often ride on icy slopes. Do you know if Parkitect has some tech in it that helps you to get better control on ice?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts