Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Lib Tech TRS first board?

9K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  wernersl 
#1 ·
Hey guys, as you'll notice I'm pretty new to (posting in haha) these forums.

Quick explanation, I'll be heading to the hills for the '13/'14 season, in either the Alps or possibly BC. I've only had about 2 weeks on a board but I'm absolutely obsessed!!:yahoo:
Last time I went, I was beginning to feel comfortable on most black runs and really getting into hitting the fresh stuff.

This will be my first board, and while I understand that something like a Lib TRS isn't very beginner friendly, I thought that an advanced board would help me progress faster, also seeing that I would be in the mountains for around 6 months I wouldn't "outgrow" it.

I can't really see myself spending too much time in the park, but I do want a good all-rounder board, I really like the idea of hybrid camber boards, and perhaps I'll buy another (cheaper) soft rocker board to piss about on.

My local shop told me a while ago that a TRS would be great for just about anything, besides hardcore jibbing.

I'm also considering a Skate Banana, and the '13 K2 Raygun. (I know that they're very different boards haha :laugh:)

If it makes a difference I'm 5"11 and 170-180 lbs.

Sorry for posting another noob "which board should I buy?" thread, but I'm totally lost! :dizzy: Any help would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

See less See more
#4 ·
get the trs, the banana is too loose for mt and you don't do park.
Thanks man, that's what I was thinking.:thumbsup:

The TRS likes speed. It's not particularly fun at slow speeds and in general won't turn as easily as something like a skate banana. That being said if you're going to be getting a lot of days in I don't see any problem with having a board you can progress on. You'll outgrow the skate banana fast.
Thanks for the reply :), I was led to believe that would happen if I got a Skate Banana or a similar rocker board.

Would a 159 be the go to length for someone of my size?

#3 ·
The TRS likes speed. It's not particularly fun at slow speeds and in general won't turn as easily as something like a skate banana. That being said if you're going to be getting a lot of days in I don't see any problem with having a board you can progress on. You'll outgrow the skate banana fast.

#5 · (Edited)
I got a TRS this year as my first board (kind of) and I don't really recommend doing that. If anything, it will make you progress slower, not faster. The reason is because it is built for very aggressive riding, and you have to walk before you can run.

Yes you CAN ride it as a beginner, but there are other boards that are not only better suited to learning on, but they also won't be useless beginner boards even when you get better. I understand not wanting to buy a beginner board that you will outgrow, because I had the same line of thinking when I was shopping at the start of the season.

I recently tried a softer mid-range board and found it handles a lot better within my capabilities. Going higher speeds (I have only maxed out at 30mph, which is not that fast) and in gnarlier terrain, or doing something like halfpipe, the more rigid TRS is supposed to hold its stability and really shine. So basically, I can ride it no problem, but the sacrifices it makes to optimize in these other areas are things that I'm not able to take advantage of at my skill level anyway, so I have to work harder to make it perform at my skill level, when there are other boards that feel effortless in comparison. It feels less forgiving making quick adjustments and trying things with less than perfect technique you could say.

However the fact that you said you only had a couple weeks and feel comfortable on black runs confuses me a bit. Anyone "comfortable" on black runs is not a beginner, unless by comfortable you mean sideslipping all the way down. But if you are riding black runs properly, then you aren't a beginner.

#6 ·
i agree, with one caveat: if you have someone you will be going with who is more experienced and can really push you while teaching, and assuming you're willing to continuously push your skills to the limit, then i don't see why not. you'll quickly outgrow most beginner boards this way, so i can picture this as a scenario where buying a board you can grow into could work. but there are other boards wouldn't hurt to look at.

and yeah, the comfortable on black runs confuses me too. saying you're a beginner tells me two things on that statement: either the mountain you've been learning on is a small hill, or as jtg said, you're side-slipping/leafing through them. nothing wrong with either one, but if you're carving down these trails with minimum/no falls then you're definitely not a beginner.

#7 ·
Might also be worth noting that my top speeds are consistently higher on my other board than on my TRS by about 5mph, even though the TRS is designed to be ridden at higher speeds. I don't know if that is random luck, or if it is because I'm more comfortable, or maybe because the other board has a sintered base and the TRS has an extruded "TNT" base. I have no clue why mervin put an extruded base on a $560 MSRP board. :dunno:

#10 ·
I think it might be a bit of overkill, its easy to get sucked into the hype but the reality is even advanced riders might struggle to tell the difference the extra $ gets you when buying a lib tech over a standard RC hybrid deck. If you have the money then go for it, if not then maybe budget a better pair of bindings/boots as apposed to a better board that you don't really need.

#16 ·
well, that makes sense.

anyway, i agree with Richie67. you're better off buying a really good pair of boots and spending $100-$200 less on a board. i think one of the stickies mentions that you won't be able to tell a $50 difference between boards, but you most likely will on a boot. or better yet, use the money you save on a few lessons. i taught myself how to snowboard with the help of some friends, but it wasn't until i took a few lessons that i realized there was SO much more to learn (and this was after 3 years of riding).

as far as camber, i think you'd enjoy your time more on a rocker board since it's more playful/forgiving, but since you're not a total beginner you can get away with a regular camber.

#17 ·
The advice to skip the TRS isn't bad advice but in my opinion you should get a camber or hybrid camber as your first board. If you learn on rocker you won't learn proper edge control. I learned on a Burton Process camber which was to me exactly what you want out of a first board. Medium-soft flex so it's easier to maneuver and initiate turns but still need to control the edge like you would any camber board. Can go anywhere on the mountain too. Camber might be a little tougher to learn on but to me it pays off in the long run if you learn it first. If you're stuck on Lib Tech the Attack Banana would be easier to learn on, but in general Libs are geared towards a more advanced rider. Some boards to learn on I'd suggest are the aforementioned Burton Process camber, Capita Defenders of Awesome, Ride Machete GT, Never Summer SL, Arbor Element, and YES Basic.

#18 ·
I'm new to boarding too, even newer than you actually. I'm definitely not an expert, but IMO the boots are really important. Just the difference between the rental boots I've had before and the 32's I have now is ridiculous, and haven't ridden in them yet!

#19 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies peeps, the board hunting continues! At least now I have a better idea not influenced by marketing bullshit and shops trying to make a quick buck!

I think I'll be buying bindings first, unless I get to a shop to try on some boots! :blink:

#20 ·
Libtech marketing isn't bullshit. They make damn good boards. It might not be just what you need right now, that's all.

I personally think the TRS is a good stick to get out of the box if you are going to go a whole lot your first year. In at most 20 days, you'll be more than solid enough for that board. Plus, you can get it at end of season sales this year. I've gotten a TRS for $300 at the end of season, and that's a respectable price.

#22 ·
Money priority at this stage of the game...

Boots

Bindings

Board

Dont spend a ton on a board. Something geared toward all mountain - no frills type stuff. Id even go further to say start with a used deck that you wont mind replacing in a season or two. As you progress and have honed your specific style, THEN go look for your dream board. At least then you will be able to notice big differences in the boards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.