Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Libtec Orca 156cm the right choice for me?

594 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Yotaismygame
Hello all,

after my Arbor Coda Rocker is now 5 years old and I have looked a bit for other boards, I would like something new.

I ride already 20 years, but rather relaxed carving without too much pressure on the edge and do not always pay attention to the cleanest driving or jump technique. I like to ski in deep snow next to the slope when it offers itself. I am very happy with the Arbor, especially because it is very forgiving as a rocker. However, it is very unstable when you go a little faster on the slopes.

That's why I find the Libtec Orca 156cm as a hybrid rocker quite exciting.

About me:

I am male my body weight is 86kg, I am 193cm tall, my riding level is experienced snowboarder and am a vacation rider. Boot lenght is 31cm.

I am looking for:

A snowboard.

My previous snowboard setup:

Arbor Coda Rocker with Clew binding.

The previous snowboard length is 161 cm, the snowboard should serve as an all-rounder and I do not want to ride switch with it.

My area of use is on the slopes 70%, deep snow / backcountry 30%, park (kicker / pipe) 0%, rails 0%.

My goals with the new snowboard are:

More stability and more lift in deep snow.

Special features:

Forgivness is very important to me and relaxed carving.
See less
Hello all,

after my Arbor Coda Rocker is now 5 years old and I have looked a bit for other boards, I would like something new.

I ride already 20 years, but rather relaxed carving without too much pressure on the edge and do not always pay attention to the cleanest driving or jump technique. I like to ski in deep snow next to the slope when it offers itself. I am very happy with the Arbor, especially because it is very forgiving as a rocker. However, it is very unstable when you go a...
See more
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
You don’t want an Orca, it’s pretty much a powder board that can be ridden in groomers. Because you’re spending most of your time on a groomer I’d be looking at a more directional free ride board. Something like a Libtech dynamo, K2 Passport, Bataleon Thunder, etc.

For your weight on a non volume shifted board I would personally be sticking in the 158-160 range depending on preference.

· Registered
294 Posts
You don’t want an Orca, it’s pretty much a powder board that can be ridden in groomers. Because you’re spending most of your time on a groomer I’d be looking at a more directional free ride board. Something like a Libtech dynamo, K2 Passport, Bataleon Thunder, etc.

For your weight on a non volume shifted board I would personally be sticking in the 158-160 range depending on preference.
Yep agreed. +1 on Bataleon Thunder.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Oh okay. These are all camber boards. I dont think i will be happy with that since i love the forgiveness of the coda. So i think maybe hybrid rocker should be fine...

· Registered
200 Posts
Oh okay. These are all camber boards. I dont think i will be happy with that since i love the forgiveness of the coda. So i think maybe hybrid rocker should be fine...
For what you are describing, a camber board with rocker in the tips and a set back stance is what you want, in general that is the best balance of stability at speed, and float in powder. It’s not the 90s anymore, camber in itself is not “unforgiving”. With the Bataleon in particular, their use of 3BT aids in the “forgiveness” department.

if you’re dead set on a hybrid rocker, a C2 Gnu riders choice isn’t a bad option. I personally rode one for about 10 years, although after switching to a Niche Maelstrom with set back camber, I’m never going back to any form of rocker unless it was a dedicated powder stick, and even then probably not.

· Registered
217 Posts
I don't agree with that. I have a 153 orca and im 205lbs. For me with that size its an all mountain board. Do I or would I take it out on a big powder day? Not a chance, ill grab a real pow board for that. But if there's a few inches I don't mind it at all. If you want it to be a powder board get the proper size, but that's true with most boards. If its big enough to float you .....

Based off your first post it sounds like a good fit. There's so many boards out there though. The orca seems to be one a lot of people choose because its talked about so much but also because its a do everything type of board with a friendly camber profile. The 156 isnt that much bigger but a 153 would fit you just fine.

· Registered
2,289 Posts
I don't agree with that. I have a 153 orca and im 205lbs. For me with that size its an all mountain board. Do I or would I take it out on a big powder day? Not a chance, ill grab a real pow board for that. But if there's a few inches I don't mind it at all. If you want it to be a powder board get the proper size, but that's true with most boards. If its big enough to float you .....

Based off your first post it sounds like a good fit. There's so many boards out there though. The orca seems to be one a lot of people choose because its talked about so much but also because its a do everything type of board with a friendly camber profile. The 156 isnt that much bigger but a 153 would fit you just fine.
Come on dude leave some koolaid for the rest of us!

By your reckoning the perfect quiver would be one each of every size of Orca. I must admit I can see where you're coming from, there's so few decent all mountain boards on the market.

· Registered
217 Posts
Come on dude leave some koolaid for the rest of us!

By your reckoning the perfect quiver would be one each of every size of Orca. I must admit I can see where you're coming from, there's so few decent all mountain boards on the market.
That's funny. I mean you could almost do it that way. But flex pattern, taper, and set back kinda keep it from being true. I would say it can be AM, FR, and powder. Not saying its the best option though. I've heard of guys using the 162 as a powder board. I'd rather pick something up with more taper for that though. If you like Mervin, like c2 or even banana, want magna traction, want something thats playfull but not a noodle, something that will get you around the mountain pretty well and still offer float then the orca makes sense. Plus its nice to ride a shorter board ....at least I like shorter boards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts