Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First off, I understand that this should technically be in the PNW regional forum but I thought I'd get more responses here. Hope thats alright...

The gf and I have been tossing around the idea of moving from the northeast (we live in Boston) and head out west somewhere. I posted about this awhile ago but I digress...we've finally pegged it on Oregon/Hood River area. She's got extended family in the area and is applying to school out there as well. We thought it'd be a good place to set up shop.

We've begun probing our contacts for job leads and opportunities but I wanted to hear from local residents what types of industry/business lie in this part of Oregon? I currently work as a consultant in the green building industry but am open to opportunities. Whats the job market like?

On the other hand I wanted to ask about general lifestyle and "attitudes" in the PNW. Friendly? Down to earth? What do most people do for their free time?

We're obviously snowsports enthusiasts and do a lot of backpacking, hiking and mountain biking in the summer.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
ganja farmer and meth short order cooks are needed

cascadia can be great or not, old hippies, nouveau cali, ech nurds, tea right, grungeneck, military...it really depends on where you pick. Green building...building salvage/re-use is pretty hot. I moved out in 89...there are some great areas and very shitae places...just factor availability or access to the outdoors....I could easily ride in the morning, dh in the afternoon, kayak/sail in the eve...and do fresh micros and grilled salmon for dinner.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you know where to find it - paradise for all things green and hippie dippie. Green tech is in :thumbsup: . Do me a favour - make a succesful and popular roof that doesn't have brutal petrochemicals or itchy fiberglass gabage in it, will ya?

Oh, and it doesn't rain as much as people say it does... it rains more. Maybe it's partly because it rains twice as much in Vancouver as Seattle... but it all gray sky ain't no lie. Best place in the world when the sun DOES shine though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Beer, Mountains, Oregon coast, what more could you want?! Hood River is a super cool town. Small, but still really cool. Some seriously good mountain biking in the area. Not to mention top notch windsurfing and kite boarding.

I work with a woman who just moved here from New Mexico and she said the people here are very friendly and have much better attitudes than New Mexico. I'm not sure if that's saying something about New Mexico or Portland. I grew up here so the hippies and hipster don't bother me and to be honest I don't even notice them. People are definitely down to earth here.

It's so awesome here during the summer when the weather is nice that I don't even care about the rain. Besides, when it rains here during the winter and even early spring that means snow on Mt. Hood.

The woman I work with from New Mexico also said that finding a job seemed much easier than back home. Her husband is an engineer at Intel and the both of them had no problem getting a job. Check out sustainablebusinessoregon.com, my sister worked for Leviton at one point and showed me that site for potential jobs.

Hope some of that helps.

·
Registered
692 Posts
You wont go wrong with Oregon/Hoodriver, just dont tell people what we have out here.

Never been east of Montana (other then Switzerland), but have been a NHL fan since the early 70's, GO BRUINS

·
Registered
297 Posts
1. Dress like a hipster
2. Ride a bike everywhere you go and ignore all traffic laws but also yell at drivers when u cut them off. Make sure to say something sarcastic about how cars should let you have the right of way.
3. Put a bird on it.
4. Alway act like a dick to servers in brick and mortar restaurants but be super nice to the street food vendors.
5. Visit seattle but remind yourself of how much better it is down in Portland and make sure everyone around you can hear what you're saying.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@BackLip

Thanks for that site...really helpful. Those region-specific job boards are great and it lets me see what kind of companies are out there.

I keep hearing from the grapevine that Portland doesn't have the best job market right now. Keep in mind I'm still entry/junior level. Am I screwed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I keep hearing from the grapevine that Portland doesn't have the best job market right now. Keep in mind I'm still entry/junior level. Am I screwed?
Portlands a reasonably good sized town. Not Boston, but not Hood River. While the overall market is probably soft, green tech is definitely on the rise, and you're a long way from screwed, imho. If you were an actor, you'd be screwed. I'm not sure what your plans are, exactly, but the work is probably going to be in Portland, and I'd not want to commute in from Hood River down I-84, but that's just me.

I grew up in central WA (Yakima) and the Navy has taken me pretty much around the country, mostly San Diego and DC. In our travels we've discovered that change is ALWAYS hard, and it takes a full year at least for us to consider our new place "home". Hood River from Boston is a pretty big change on all levels. We're headed back to WA from DC this summer after 24 years, and looking forward to it, but realize that it won't be without some adjustment.

You've probably already done this, but Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more is a pretty comprehensive site for compiling, well, data about cities. It's not the end all and be all, but it might help you out. It has a forum embedded, and like most forums its dependent on the people for it's utility, but you might find some reasonable info. Best of luck on the move!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts