Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 18 and looking to move to Jackson Hole around December 20th. I will already have a job lined up but I have no idea how to find cheap housing around the area considering employee housing is full. Does anyone have an extra bed or couch they want to rent out for the season, or until I find a permenent residence? I have a phone interview today actually, but I was told I wont be hired until I have a place to live so you could really help me out here.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Considering the resort actually posted that about 20% of their workforce lived out of their cars last season I doubt you will have much luck. The resort doesn't care, cheap housing fills up quick and I doubt you will have much luck bumming from someone on here. Anything available will be expensive. You might have more luck on TGR forums.

I lived in Vail for 5 years(just moved away last month) and consider Jackson Hole expensive.

If you are going to live out of your vehicle then just tell them you are staying with a friend.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
that's a tough time of year to arrive in a ski town without any housing lined-up prior.

And from what I have heard, Jackson is tough compared to other ski towns.. although there is a lot of "resort sprawl" south of the ski area all the way to Wilson... still lots of completion from folks rich and poor alike.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
that's a tough time of year to arrive in a ski town without any housing lined-up prior.

And from what I have heard, Jackson is tough compared to other ski towns.. although there is a lot of "resort sprawl" south of the ski area all the way to Wilson... still lots of completion from folks rich and poor alike.
eeewww. rich folk completion. Though maybe that can you help makes ends meet?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I lived in the area for two winters and housing is just fucked. 1st winter, 8 dudes living in a single wide mobile home, still paying like $350 each plus utilities, in Jackson. Great guys I lived with but the worst housing situation I've ever been in. The next winter I worked at The Ghee' and lived in Driggs and had a way better overall experience. Driggs was great and easier on $$$ and just much mellower over all. The Ghee has an employee bus ( or did back then, this was 1995 ) and then I just hitchhiked everywhere and never really had to drive or pay for gas. I even hitchhiked to Teton Pass to snowboard that...

I would recommend getting a job @ The Ghee' and living in Driggs or Victor.. Cheaper and much less of a headache.... Plus it snows more on that side of the Tetons and back in the day you could get employee passes to the Village so it was like having a season pass to both places...

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
If anyone reads this because they are having the same problem be sure to say something, having a roomate may make things cheaper
FYI the housing crunch is effecting every solid resort in the Rockies from WY down through Southern CO. UT, ID, MT, CA, NV, OR, and WA won't have this issue.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
FYI the housing crunch is effecting every solid resort in the Rockies from WY down through Southern CO. UT, ID, MT, CA, NV, OR, and WA won't have this issue.
NO! We've been over this, OR is not ok to move to, it sucks here! Stay away. But that being said if snow continues to suck like the last few years Tahoe seems fun for people looking to move to an outdoors area from the trips I've taken there in summer. Walking to a lake, mountain biking and snowboarding plus actual back country options. It's all the best parts of the PNW packed in to a much more compact area.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I appreciate the tip, and I am applying to places all around the rockies. I see that it is going to be near impossible to find a place up there.
Get a job @ Snowbird... Just a good as terrain as Jackson with better exposure ( Jackson is east/south east facing and Snowbird is almost pure north facing )

Living in SLC is easy and cheap and job options are way more bountiful...

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Get a job @ Snowbird... Just a good as terrain as Jackson with better exposure ( Jackson is east/south east facing and Snowbird is almost pure north facing )

Living in SLC is easy and cheap and job options are way more bountiful...

Shhhhhhh SLC has about reached our dirtbag limit.........

But yea good advice and it's still easy to get a good job and ride every day something your only going to find in say Bozeman.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.