Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Major foot pain problems here. I plan to buy new boots next time I get a chance, and would like the help of a bootfitter during/after the purchase. I saw the boot FAQ thread and none of the shops I've been to seem like they would support that kind of thing (return visits, minor adjustments). I'll pay damn near anything if they can actually help. What I'm tired of is spending money experimenting with things that don't help. I don't expect magic, but someone experienced and interested in working out a solution would be great.

What I would really like is somewhere to rent high end demo boots, because I can never tell if they are working until I try a run on them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Take a trip to CO for a few days. Seriously, it might be worth it. Not to mention it would be fun. Say maybe Telluride :bowdown: There is a guy here who is amazing...really. I would do anything to have great boots.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Major foot pain problems here. I plan to buy new boots next time I get a chance, and would like the help of a bootfitter during/after the purchase. I saw the boot FAQ thread and none of the shops I've been to seem like they would support that kind of thing (return visits, minor adjustments). I'll pay damn near anything if they can actually help. What I'm tired of is spending money experimenting with things that don't help. I don't expect magic, but someone experienced and interested in working out a solution would be great.

What I would really like is somewhere to rent high end demo boots, because I can never tell if they are working until I try a run on them.
If you find either of these things around the area, post back and let others know. I'd love to know somewhere good to go to that would actually help out with the boot fitting. It seems every shop around here just gives you a bunch a boots and says "Here ya go, let me know which ones you want.". No help at all, just that line. I love the local shops, but they all suck at boot fitting IME.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The guy at Seattle ski and snowboard knows his shit. You may want to talk to him before taking that trip to CO. Only downside is limited brands there but iirc he'll fit anything you bring in at an hourly rate.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah I went to Seattle Ski previously, problem was, as you said, very low on selection. I previously got my custom footbeds made there (like $160, stand in the mold for a bit, then they make fiberglass beds). Unfortunately they didn't seem to really help with my particular issue.

I ended up getting some Salomon F4.0s today from SnoCon downtown. Was in the area and they had my size on sale so it was kind of an impulse try-on that turned into a buy. Didn't catch the guy's name, but he helped me for quite a while. We tried taping foam strips to my feet where I was feeling a pressure point, and then heat molding the liners with the foam there. Overall the boot fit really well, except when I flex it, the outer shell (very stiff boot) puts a decent amount of pressure on my tendon on the top of my foot/instep. Everything else was too good about the boot compared to others I've tried that I bought them anyway with the hope that I can fix that up.

I might mess around with them at home or take them back for molding again after a few rides. He said it's free to come back and re-mold them. Aside from that though, it seemed like options are limited and he was running out of ideas.

Regardless, my experience is that in the store it's only possible to spot the major fitment issues, once I ride in them is when I really feel it. So we'll see I guess :dunno: Gonna take them out to stevens tomorrow and see how it goes.

I kinda want that dialed in before I take a trip to CO, lest I waste prime riding vacation time fighting with gear.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've heard Evo in Freemont has a good boot fitter, I may try going there with a problem I'm having.

Sturtevant's in Bellevue has a boot fitting shop for ski boots but they also help with snowboard boots. I went to them with my boot problem and they worked on it for almost two hours with me, but nothing helped (they didn't charge me anything which was cool). This may mean they aren't very good, or it may just mean my problem wasn't easy to fix. BurtonAvenger says it should be easy, so who knows.

I've also had two people tell me that Crystal Mountain has an amazing boot fitter. However, I wonder if he is really good with snowboard boots, ski boots, or both. I think ski boot fitters are more common.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hoping to revive this thread. OP, did you have any luck finding somebody that you were happy with? I'm having similar issues, and would love for somebody to really work with me to get these boots fitting and feeling good (without making me feel stupid or whiny in the process). Any other Seattle suggestions?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm still having issues, but doing much better. The best bootfitter I found was at Stevens Pass. Really easy to work with. Doing it there has the added advantage of being able to do a run after he makes tweaks and coming back for immediate feedback. He also does custom footbeds. I had a much better experience at Stevens than I did Crystal. And yeah, be careful about bootfitters who only know ski boots.

I also got yet another pair of new boots. I went with triple BOA so I can adjust on the fly. I keep them a little looser when I start the day, do a few warm up runs before I ride anything too steep or aggressive, take an ibuprofen or two, and tighten them more as I get warmed up. Sometimes I have to back off because they get sore again. With the triple BOA I can make those adjustments easily without undoing my boots and taking my gloves off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got my boots at Evo (K2 Thraxis - I knew the size etc. from my last pair of Ride's) but they were out of the XL size custom insoles, so I went to Seattle Ski - the guy who did the custom insole really knows his shit. Highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been there, and they were pretty unhelpful. They didn't seem very interested in solving the problem. It was more like, "here's the price, don't know if they'll work, do you want them or not?"

Maybe you got a different guy or they were in a better mood that day. They were always pretty busy when I went too.

The difference with other bootfitters I've dealt with, is that others made efforts to measure things (beyond just foot size), check range of motion, balance, pronation, etc.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The crew at Seattle Ski has turned over a bit in the past year. The guys I am good friends with (Mike and Trent) ended up buying Pro Ski Seattle with a third guy and obviously don't work there anymore. Trent is one of the most knowledgeable boot fitters in the Seattle area, unfortunately he's not working currently due to health reasons.

·
Registered
214 Posts
+1 for evo the guy treated me like am a actual person. Not just here's a boot try it on. I have flat wide feet. With that damn second toe longer than my big toe. When I found the pair that felt the best he said walk around with them on do some more looking through the store until I was done then let him know if I wanted them or start over the process again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts