Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright! I am going Heliboarding in March and I am looking for a solid All Mountain/Freeride board that can handle the powder but still rip through the resorts in Salt Lake until then. I won't be doing much park with this board. It will mostly be my fresh snow and groomer board. Here is what I am working with:

Wt: 215 lbs
Ht: 6'4"
Shoe: Size 13 (The reason for the wide board)
Boots: K2 Maysis
Bindings: K2 Ever
Budget: $500ish
Exp Level: Intermediate/Advanced

Any advice would be great!

Ryan

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
Live the HighLife my friend. Stiff and responsive. It has Ride's LowPro rocker profile. Medium rocker in the nose, mellowed out to nearly flat camber in the middle, and stiffer low rise rocker in the tail. Powder machine that can eat the groomers. 159W is a good size for you. You can go one bigger if you want.

Ride Highlife Snowboard 2011

Lib Tech T.Rice 161.5cm. It is a wide snowboard with a 260mm waist. Also stiff with an excellent rocker profile. Camber underfoot with rocker in between. Also has magnetraction which gives you 7 contact points for superb edge hold on ice or crud. Very floaty board as well.

Lib Tech T. Rice Pro Model C2 BTX Snowboard 2011

Also take a look at Never Summer. Big mountain riders on these forums swear by them. From my knowledge of them, the Heritage or Premier sounds up your alley.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds about right...

That sounds about right. I have heard good things about the Never Summer stuff, too. My buddy rode the Arbor Coda and loved it, too. I am looking at the K2 Turbo Dream but the Lib Tech and Ride boards sound pretty good. Any good DC or K2 boards that fit the bill? Just wanted to get equivalents in some other brands. I like all the brands mentioned so far...

·
Registered
208 Posts
MRyno;365297} Never Summer stuff said:
No good DC boards for us big guys.

Look into
//Never Summer Heritage, biggest size 166
//K2 Turbo Dream, biggest size 164
//K2 Slayblade, biggest size 166
//Ride Highlife, biggest 168
//LibTech Dark Series, biggest 164
//LibTech Skunk Ape, few sizes 165,169, 172, 180
*Those are all wides of course

I prob wouldn't get anything bigger than a 169.

I have a Slayblade in a 166, and I really like it. It is my go to board for POW days.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
In regards to the Goliath, I used to ride, actually sold it the other day. IMO, I think you may want something a little stiffer and longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting Options

Went to a boardshop last night and he recommended the Never Summer Legacy...I am thinking maybe it wouldn't be as good in the pow as I am hoping? I get my K2 Maysis boots tomorrow and then I will have to get serious about getting the new board. I have to put in some good hours before March so I don't get my butt kicked...

I'm really liking your suggestions, conwayeast. I'm going to check them out this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
the legacy with the R+C tech should handle fine in pow I think there is a small setback on that (.5" maybe). Legacy is good & wide, 265mm or wider for the size you're looking at. I've got an old one from 2005, a 163W on the old regular camber one thing is for sure that the NS boards are pretty much invincible, if you go that route it will last you a long time. The 2011 Legacy has been softened up from years past when it used to be a fairly stiff all-mountain deck, it should be a little better-suited for a "do everything" deck now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a Legacy in a 163. Im ganna be honest, I am not a big fan. It rides/floats well in POW, but for every day use I didn't like it. The middle of the board just felt dead to me, and you have to really load up the tip/tail to get a decent pop.

Mo vote is for the Slayblade though, I'd choose that 9/10 out of 10 over the Legacy.

I don't hate the legacy, it is a good board. Just not a good board for me, just personal opinion.

Im 6'2 230 size 13 and ride K2 Maysis as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like Slayblade it is!

I went ahead and ordered the K2 Slayblade. So, now I am officially a K2 whore. Here is the setup:

K2 Slayblade Wide - 163 (I like to ride a little shorter)
K2 Maysis Boots
K2 Auto Ever Bindings

I feel like I will really like the new board though. I know the awards are always questionable, but it DID get the triple crown, so that has to show for something right? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I ride the same set-up, some days anyway. Big fan of the auto-ever's on the slayblade. And I love me some Maysis boots. Mine have 50 days on them and I think when the sales start I'm ganna order me another pair. Fit like a glove, and BOA lacing is the best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts