Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so im looking to get another board this year. A little bit of background, Ive been riding on and off for 10 years, but have really gotten serious the last 4 years, and ride 30-40 days a year. Im 5'8" and 175lbs and got a size 9 foot.

I currently have a 154 NS evo that i like a lot, and a 164 Charlie Slasher for powder. I get the epic pass and ride Northstar a lot, which if you know Northstar its not the steapest mountain, and the Evo handles it all pretty well.

Well im looking for a board in between my evo and charlie. Im looking for a board that if I'm feeling like riding more aggressive it could hold up. Looking for a board that will handle the steeper mountains like kirkwood for example and hold a solid edge. Looking for something a little more lively than damp. I owned a heritage for a season and thought it was ok, not horrible but not great.

A few boards ive been looking at are the K2 turbo dream, Flow drifter, possible the new Salomon Time machine, not sure if its quite stiff enough though, and possible a Lib TRS. Just looking for other people opinions on these ive been thinking about, and any other possible ideas, thanks!

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
You are definitely on the right track.
I'd only add the Yes Asym, Burton Process, or Bataleon Goliath.

The Turbo is going to be a super damp ride. The dampness coming from the harshmellow instead of the overall board layup does mean it will react with life, but you may feel a sense of disconnect with the snow still. Its not at all a bad thing, just some people don't like not being able to feel exactly what's under them. Its like riding a big stiff thick freeride deck but with the quickness, reaction, and flex of a mid stiff all mountain board.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, i guess what it comes down too is im looking for an "all-mountian" board, the term is pretty broad, but a board leaning more towards the side of all mountian free ride, and less freestyle, but still lively enough to pop off side hits and jumps and bomb groomers. Do you know if there is much difference between the 13 drifter and 13 turbo dream compared to the 2014? I can still find both from last year.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
The Drifter yes. They haven't changed anything per advertising, but they factory changed. They are now out of GST so they are coming with Structurn and all of the RC profiles have been a little flattened out coming from them. I gave nothing but good feedback on the lower profile feel of the rocker and as far as I know they aren't pushing for it to be more aggressive like from Elan.

The Turbo has a new carbon web in the tips. As far as I can tell it's just a more efficient way of laying it up in the factory, it didn't seem to feel any different on snow.

Both are definitely the type of board you are looking for.

As for my other recommendations, bump up to the Custom instead of the Process. I actually think the Custom will be good again. It got upgraded to carbon highlights this year so it's lighter and should be more lively.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question, how would the coda compare to the turbo? I had a west mark, is the coda much stiffer than that?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The Drifter yes. They haven't changed anything per advertising, but they factory changed. They are now out of GST so they are coming with Structurn and all of the RC profiles have been a little flattened out coming from them. I gave nothing but good feedback on the lower profile feel of the rocker and as far as I know they aren't pushing for it to be more aggressive like from Elan.

The Turbo has a new carbon web in the tips. As far as I can tell it's just a more efficient way of laying it up in the factory, it didn't seem to feel any different on snow.

Both are definitely the type of board you are looking for.

As for my other recommendations, bump up to the Custom instead of the Process. I actually think the Custom will be good again. It got upgraded to carbon highlights this year so it's lighter and should be more lively.
How aggreesive do you want? Custom X perhaps. Personally I really like Burton demo days to sample their stuff.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not looking for a super aggressive full on freeride board, but something a tad stiffer than medium of the road flex, something I can ride more aggressively than my evo and will hold a solid edge, not wash out...

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
BillyGoat c2btx 159....done. It fits right inbetween my 155 cambered twin and 164 c slasher. BG is stiffer but has torsional flex so it is quite agile. You kind of have to be aggressive with it but once you figure it out, its a really fun, inspiring and confidence boosting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Throwing the ride berserker into the mix now too, anybody have any experience riding it? If so how did you like it?

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Its a more classically inspired deck. It basically has S-rocker so if you ride switch a lot there are better options. If you don't it is an amazing board and one of my favorites for a do everything outside the park ride.

Coda is a bit looser and probably closer to a mid flex. Its slightly stiffer than tje Westmark with setback. Its a super rad board though and something you can ride everyday except days youd wanna get super techy on jibs. Doable but not ideal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks yeah not looking to ride much switch or take it through the park really, that's why I got the evo! But as of now I think I'm gunna pull the trigger on that berserker, probley in the 158.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts