Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a neversummer lotus from I think 2007. I believe it’s a rocker camber? It’s time to upgrade. I’m hoping for a board with a little more flex, a little easier on the landings and a little easier to kick around. I like all mountain freestyle riding, not quite as aggressive as I used to be-2 knee surgeries and the passage of time:) I like to ride everything from powder to groomers to occasional pipe. I was looking at the Capita DOA but not sure it’s right for me. Any good suggestions?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Based on a lot of reviews and time on the forum.
Traditional: Jones Mountain Twin, a few Yes boards (Typo or maybe Greats over the Standard), and a lot of other boards.
Volume shifted: Ride Warpig (or Superpig if you want camber but that will be stiffer) or K2 Party Platter depending on how much powder versatility you want.
I am not sure how those shorter boards handle pipe if that is really a concern for you.

Others will have more hands-on experience.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I currently have a neversummer lotus from I think 2007. I believe it’s a rocker camber? It’s time to upgrade. I’m hoping for a board with a little more flex, a little easier on the landings and a little easier to kick around. I like all mountain freestyle riding, not quite as aggressive as I used to be-2 knee surgeries and the passage of time:) I like to ride everything from powder to groomers to occasional pipe. I was looking at the Capita DOA but not sure it’s right for me. Any good suggestions?
If you like the rocker/camber profile and have knee problems I'd stick with Never Summer. The dampening on those boards is off the charts which some people don't like but if you have joint pain it can really improve your day. They're like the Depends of snowboards. Also I wouldn't rule out slightly stiffer, damp boards that can soak up chatter and bumps.

The Ripsaw never gets mentioned here but it's a killer hybrid rocker board; it's fairly stiff but not overly so and would hold an edge in the pipe just fine. I haven't ridden the Westbound but used to own a West and that was a damp, versatile board and more directional for pow.

A Never Summer board (or Sims or Academy if you want camber) with some shock absorbent bindings like Now's or Rome DoD's will be really easy on the knees and make riding more fun, so I'd optimize for that.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Are you a male or female? The Lotus is a women's board while the Capita DOA is a men's board.

When you say a board with "more flex" I'm assuming you want something softer? The DOA is definitely going to be a burlier board than the Lotus. IMO, boards with rocker between the bindings inherently ride softer than a board of comparative flex with camber between the bindings. I'm not stating that as a good or a bad thing, just a statement of experience.

If you're a guy, I'd be looking at the Never Summer Instagator based on what you're looking for.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
I disagree. Strength match foot width with waist width.
That wasn't statement of opinion or something to be agreed or disagreed with, it was a statement of fact.

Since we're talking about Never Summer here, Let's use them because they have a perfect comparable - just look at The West and the Lady West. A 153 The West (men's board) has a 25.1 waist width. The same 153 in the Lady West (literally the women's version of The West) has a 24.0 waist width. Women tend to have smaller feet than men of comparable weight, so the women's boards run significantly narrower.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
There is no debate. I'm talking about actual demonstrable facts. A debate would be a discussion about which board would be best suited for the thread starter. A demonstrable fact is that women's boards generally run narrower than men's boards of the same length and the reason is because women's feet tend to be smaller than men's feet.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Have not read all posts, cause lazy.

Meh, get an Outsiders if you want Capita. Also, wasnt the Lotus womens? Are you?

Womens boards to search, Rome Heist or Lofi, Gnu Velvet, Arbor Swoon.

Mens, Rome National or Agent, Gnu Headspace, Ride Machete, DC Mega, or an Arbor Element.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I think what you're trying to say is that it's possible for a woman to ride a board designed for men and vice versa, it just depends on the individual.

While technically true, this is by far not the common case which is why board companies make boards specifically for the average woman and average man. Because as luck would have it, there are mountains of statistics on how an average woman has smaller feet and less leg strength at a given height and weight than the average man.

So when an average rider comes on here looking for a board, it's helpful to know if they're an average woman or average man to steer them in the right direction since in 95% of the cases they're going to be much happier on a gender specific board designed for their body. Saying "it doesn't matter" when it most likely does unless we're talking to a female bodybuilder isn't helpful.

To further illustrate this point, it's possible for you, Gregg, to insert tampons into various orifices. It's unlikely that knowing you're a man I'd recommend you doing that, but feel free to disregard that advice.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Back in the late 80’s I saw Perry Farrell from Jane’s addiction shove a tampon up his ass on stage. That was disturbing and intriguing at the same time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts