Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to plan a trip right now. Just looking to see if anyone knows good deals or just amazing places to snowboard.

Top choices right now are:
Brecken Ridge
Whistler/Blackcomb
Revelstoke Mountain
Heavenly Mountain Resort
Mammoth Mountain Ski Area
Sunshine Village

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am trying to plan a trip right now. Just looking to see if anyone knows good deals or just amazing places to snowboard.

Top choices right now are:
Brecken Ridge
Whistler/Blackcomb
Revelstoke Mountain
Heavenly Mountain Resort
Mammoth Mountain Ski Area
Sunshine Village

Thanks!
Whistler's best prices will run from now till November 15.

Do you have any particular criteria that you are looking for - glades, park, steeps, high alpine, village scene etc?

From Toronto it's a little easier to get to Whistler or Revelstoke, no border crossing required, lots of flights to Vancouver, then 2 hrs to get to Whistler.

For Revy you can fly nonstop on WestJet to Kelowna then get a connecting flight.

This puts weekend trips well in the realm of possibility, leave thurs afternoon, ride Friday/sat/sun (1/2 day Sunday) and back to Toronto sunday night. Not a concern if you're going for a longer trip but even so you can wasted days on a week trip connecting flights and so on.

In Canada you might also consider Big White, Kicking Horse, Red Mountain, Banff, Fernie. I've generally been going to whistler, these are on my list of next places to try (I went to big white and really liked it).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whistler's best prices will run from now till November 15.

Do you have any particular criteria that you are looking for - glades, park, steeps, high alpine, village scene etc?

From Toronto it's a little easier to get to Whistler or Revelstoke, no border crossing required, lots of flights to Vancouver, then 2 hrs to get to Whistler.

For Revy you can fly nonstop on WestJet to Kelowna then get a connecting flight.

This puts weekend trips well in the realm of possibility, leave thurs afternoon, ride Friday/sat/sun (1/2 day Sunday) and back to Toronto sunday night. Not a concern if you're going for a longer trip but even so you can wasted days on a week trip connecting flights and so on.

In Canada you might also consider Big White, Kicking Horse, Red Mountain, Banff, Fernie. I've generally been going to whistler, these are on my list of next places to try (I went to big white and really liked it).
Thanks for the reply!

Mostly interested in alpine and glades, everything else is a bonus. Was also looking it making this trip a 2 week trip. Might try to get to all the mountains that the West has to offer.

Any chance you would know when it would be best to go for powder in the west?

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I would go with Lamps advice and stick with the Western Canadian resorts. Overall they are larger and have bigger terrain than in the states.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Mostly interested in alpine and glades, everything else is a bonus. Was also looking it making this trip a 2 week trip. Might try to get to all the mountains that the West has to offer.

Any chance you would know when it would be best to go for powder in the west?
EVERYTHING in BC/AB have glades/rocks/cliffs/etc. Some resorts are better than others, but they're all good from what I've seen. Best bet is to book the flights but wait and book accommodations where the snow is a week or two in advance.

From Calgary you can hit at least 9 resorts within a 5 hour drive. A rental car is pretty much a must, unless you do Banff only (Louise, Sunshine and Norquay).

You can check monthly snowfall totals online, but in general February-March is the best bet. I've had amazing powder days anywhere from November to May out here, but the middle is the best bet.

·
Super Moderator
6,339 Posts
From Vancouver area you can hit Whistler (2 hrs), Baker (2 hrs), Hemlock (1+ hr), Grouse, Cypress, and Seymour (1/2 hr), and Manning (3 hrs). Ideally if I was flying in and planning on renting a car, one thought would be to find accomodations in Squamish, which is partway between vancouver and Whistler. That gives you (relatively) cheap digs, and puts you partway between Whistler and all the 3 locals. Although honestly in terms of bang for your buck you could probably limit yourself to Whistler and Cypress.

But depending on how long you're staying and how much you want to check off different mountains, you could almost visit a different one each day.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Some of this depends on your tolerance for driving.

You could base yourself out of Vancouver or Squamish and hit the list above, but if they was the format used I'd do Salt Lake City instead.

In the bc interior it's tempting to do the laundry list but the drives are far and can be nasty winter mountain driving.

If I had 2 weeks I would fly into Vancouver from Toronto, spend up to a week at whistler, fly to kelowna, and then connecting flight to revelstoke for few days. Hop back to kelowna for a couple days at big white then fly home from kelowna.

·
Registered
298 Posts
A group a friends and I hit up Kicking Horse and Revelstoke this past January. Like Lamps said, the driving is a bit much. We flew into Calgary from TO, rented an Expedition (I think getting an SUV is worth the extra), and drove into Golden...then headed to Revy. The drive back from Revy after a week of boarding was tough...heh.

We had ZERO snow in Kicking...but had 2 pow dumps in revy. The big positive was that the crowds were pretty minimal since its out of the ways. I still recommend this if you're okay with the driving on top of the flight.

In March I ventured to Whistler...and yea...much easier to get to. However, I'll admit, I was a bit put off with the crowds...if its a pow day...every inch of the mountain is shredded by lunch...unless you know some "stashes". Having said that, the mountain will have everything you're looking for...just avoid any holidays or school breaks (both US and Cdn).

This year...I'm looking into Colorado, Utah or Tahoe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
EVERYTHING in BC/AB have glades/rocks/cliffs/etc. Some resorts are better than others, but they're all good from what I've seen. Best bet is to book the flights but wait and book accommodations where the snow is a week or two in advance.

From Calgary you can hit at least 9 resorts within a 5 hour drive. A rental car is pretty much a must, unless you do Banff only (Louise, Sunshine and Norquay).

You can check monthly snowfall totals online, but in general February-March is the best bet. I've had amazing powder days anywhere from November to May out here, but the middle is the best bet.
Sage advice here. Book a flight to Calgary, and make a decision on locations as close to arrival as possible. Those nine resorts can have very different conditions on a given day or week, so no reason to be stuck with a hotel in Golden when the snow is somewhere else within a few hours drive.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Go Revy.

Best mountain i've ever ridden... but i haven't ridden that many. Fresh snow on every run, even on a non pow day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts