Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

We are looking for a place that has pleasant ski instructors and good facilities for beginners (old beginners) I was told France is a bad place because of that...

But the site should offer good offpiste and some light park rides

Looking at the larger ski sites right now but will hear out any recommendations.

+ there are a thought of going to ClubMed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
ski or snowboard? this is a snowboard specific site.... From my experience there is a vast difference in the two in Europe, I am guessing that is your locale, and their ability to properly train someone.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snowboard.
I heard rumors about the French... I hardly took lessons, last year I had one day with and Austrian guide in Solden, it was amazing really... But here we are talking about basics that needs patience and attention...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
My advice would be to go to Austria instead. But of all the places I've been in France (most of the big ones) La Plange and Flaine would work. Both have pretty ugly architecture though. Morzine and Les Gets would also work and are pretty villages. Fairly low altitudes though so would require travel to Avoriaz if the snow is really shit.

Edit* the side country around Flaine is very dangerous without a guide and a lot of snow.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nothing wrong with france there's some of the best resorts in the world there depending what you're after. If you pick a french resort just don't use esf for lessons most resorts will have small independent companies. Check out Alpe D'Huez, Les Carroz, Tignes and La Clusaz, Austria check out Serfaus Fiss Ladis, Soll, Zell am Ziller.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was in Alpe Dhuez in 2001 can't remember a single thing :) and I was two years ago In Tignes, truly a fantastic site. I am less worried about me, more about the beginners... I will talk to ClubMed tomorrow and see what my options are and will comeback with options... They have clubs in France Italy and Switzerland...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Yeah I'd forgotten Alps D'Huez - I thought it was one of the best places I've ever been for a mixed group. Most of the area is one huge bowl that makes it fairly simple for everyone to meet for lunch/at the end of the day.

Sent from my ONE E1001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'd forgotten Alps D'Huez - I thought it was one of the best places I've ever been for a mixed group. Most of the area is one huge bowl that makes it fairly simple for everyone to meet for lunch/at the end of the day.

Sent from my ONE E1001 using Tapatalk

That's actually a nice thought to take into consideration

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

We are looking for a place that has pleasant ski instructors and good facilities for beginners (old beginners) I was told France is a bad place because of that...

But the site should offer good offpiste and some light park rides

Looking at the larger ski sites right now but will hear out any recommendations.

+ there are a thought of going to ClubMed

I am French. Never been in any Club Med but it is upmarket, even luxury for some resorts (in Switzerland for example) It is rather expensive. I don't think you have to worry.
Wherever you go at Club Med you will get an ESF (French school of ski) instructor. They are considered the elite. I ever had ski and snowboard instructors they are really good, friendly and fluent in English. Especially for snowboard you will probably have a young hip one. Furthermore in some resorts they may have native English speakers instructors.

Envoyé de mon G3212 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The best place for a mixed ability group that I have ever been to is Alpe d'huez. The whole area is basically one huge bowl with loads (the most I've ever seen) of beginner greens and blues at the bottom. This made it easy for the various groups to go off and have fun but still meet up at lunch and the end of the day. Its purpose built so not particularly pretty but certainly not the ugliest French resort and the pricing was reasonable.

·
Registered
280 Posts
the tignes/val d'isere (espace killy) area is huge and there is a lot of off piste and park around. admittedly the last 4 or so times i have been there the snow has been pretty bad. but if you are going for the season that evens out by the looks of things. there are 3 amazing guides/instructors in the area : simon (rebel alliance), renelle (fresh snowboarding) and neil mcNair (ncnair snowsports), all are english speaking and do all levels of instruction as well as instructor courses/off piste guiding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts