Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE 13/03/2018 - Bought a 2016 Burton Tough Cat 162 via this forum :) Not looking for a board anymore!

----------------------

Hi guys

This probably should go into the Buy/Sell forum but I want to specifically target NZ :)

If anyone has a 162+ aggressive freeride board I'd be interested in taking it off your hands!

Here are some boards I've been thinking about:

• Lib Tech Darker Series
  • Rossignol XV
  • NS Ripsaw
  • NS Raptor
  • Jones Flagship
  • GNU Billy Goat
  • Nitro Pantera SC
  • NS The Chairman
  • Slash Straight
  • Flow Solitude
  • Burton Flight Attendant
Please come and take my cold hard cash.

·
Registered
26 Posts
162 ....you must be a big lad ..

A stiff board, I've had a string of Burton Custom X .... they are speed machines cut the hardest ice pack hard on the knees though...

like to keep to the mid flex these days -Endeavor boards rock IMHO Clout would have be another that would have suited u

·
The Swiss Miss
7,031 Posts
162 ....you must be a big lad ..
Why?
The guys in my pack are in the 165-180lbs range and all of them ride 164ish boards for "aggressive freeriding" :dunno:

·
Registered
26 Posts
164cm wow love to see how your lighter guys go must love having the board control the run .. great high-speed stability as they rocket pass 40mph

I'm 175lbs 5,11 - yesterday was doing many steeps runs in the back bowls of Coronet on my- 159cm Endeavor Guerilla all mountain mid 5 flex ...smashing powders pillows all day ... small rock drops ... the odd nose heavy landing nil issues on size at speed a slightly stiffer deck would have given more confidence but not a big deal breaker

Was the first time I got to try out the new 2017 board in deep steep snow conditions and after running 160-161 and even having a brand new 161cm ready to go for the 18 season I've decided to now sell or trade it - for 157-158 Endeavor-burton for my second more freestyle-all mountain focus --I just don't see the need for Powder boards for NZ snow conditions

Guys I ride with backcountry focus run even shorter boards for size and these guys are A grade freeride mountain crushers

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not a little lad under 6 feet tall 😉

The extended rockered nose of the Tough Cat will mean a reduced effective edge so going long is probably the right call. That said I haven't ridden a board as short as 162 in about 10 years!

Looking forward to the season so much, checking the webcams on Ruapehu every day 😄

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
I'm 175lbs 5,11 - yesterday was doing many steeps runs in the back bowls of Coronet on my- 159cm Endeavor Guerilla all mountain mid 5 flex.
A 159 at 175lb is pleeeeeenty of board for Coronet, not exactly a freeride focused mountain.

Everything's a trade off. I've ridden the same terrain and hit the exact same drops, chutes etc on a 156 park board as I have a 162 freeride board. Just gotta understand how the board's going to react to the terrain and adjust accordingly. Of course terrain and board choice matters, but don't let the latter dictate the former :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The extended rockered nose of the Tough Cat will mean a reduced effective edge so going long is probably the right call.
Absolutely not! Rocker (or any other aspect of the camber profile) do not affect the effective edge.
I'm probably using the wrong term then, I'm meaning the distance between the ends of the cambered sections!

Anyway I got that board to look to rail carves better than on my CRC board. It's stiffer and cambered and should do a lot better :)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I'm probably using the wrong term then, I'm meaning the distance between the ends of the cambered sections!

Anyway I got that board to look to rail carves better than on my CRC board. It's stiffer and cambered and should do a lot better 🙂
Ah yes, that would be running length

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Auben, I'm loving the Tough Cat! Really stoked with it :) It's a monster!

Day one was tough as even skating was quite different with the traditional camber profile.

Now I'm working on railing my carves and trying to get my inflexible body low enough to grab the edge through the carve. Not quite there yet, but having an awesome time. Wish we had wider and better groomed runs at Ruapehu :)

Need to get some footage...

Thanks again mate!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts