Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is an option but I'd like a bag that would hold my board / bindings, boots and helmet. Maybe some misc items. Is there something like that or will I have to pack things separately?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think any bag that will hold your board with bindings mounted will also have room for your boots, helmet and outwear. Just be careful that you don't get a bag that's too large, you could be tempted to pack too much in there and then get hit with overweight fees.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Get a 165cm (ish) wheeled bag. It will fit most human sized boards and your shoulder will thank you for not forcing it to carry all the weight.

I just flew with 1 board, 1 set of bindings, 1 pair of boots, my wife's ski poles, 3 jackets, 4 pants, 6 sets of base layer, 4 sets of goggles, 4 sets of gloves, and some t-shirts...34lbs and free on Southwest. With 2 boards and 2 sets of bindings it gets up to around 46lbs. As long as you don't pack heavy clothes in it, you should be fine on weight.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Make sure it has wheels. I got my bros old back and it had no wheels. Man they are heavy when you have to carry them through an airport. I would also recommend one that has the plastick on each end. Should help protect your baby from rough ass bagge handlers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I didn't notice I got all these replies!

If I have a 152 sized board, is it a bad idea to get a bag the same size? I'm considering picking up a wheelie board case from Burton but I think the only size available in the store is 152. I'm still debating whether I should spend as much on a bag but will bring it home to see if it's worth it.

Another question - better to remove the bindings? I'm concerned that the bag may be thrown around and mess up the bindings which weren't cheap for me to begin with. I'll have to learn to add / remove

jgsqueak: Did you buy a bigger bag than your board?

bbissell: Funny you should say that. I got a Dakine low roller bag in the mail today. I sort of regret not getting the high roller one for the extra compartments, though. I'll have to see if I can get it shipped fast enough

roremc: definitely will make sure of that

Rufus: The bag I got doesn't seem like it would hold my helmet nor do any of the others. I'm thinking it's something I will carry with me. Not sure yet what to do about it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Another question - better to remove the bindings? I'm concerned that the bag may be thrown around and mess up the bindings which weren't cheap for me to begin with. I'll have to learn to add / remove
well i just came back from hawaii and on the play i saw some baggage handlers just throw the snowboard, on its binding, on the conveyor belt. Wanted to yell at that guy :laugh: i don't think them throwing it around would really hurt your bindings, but you never know

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'd leave the bindings mounted. I think you'd be more likely to lose some parts (e.g., bolts) or god forbid, an entire binding if TSA didn't zip the bag up all the way after inspection. Besides, remounting the bindings would be one additional task to do before riding.

I think it would be difficult to hurt the binding by tossing the bag around. Think about how much stress you put on a binding when you ride, how much a human weighs, and how much force goes through the binding say, on a landing from a jump. The weight of a board is pretty light in comparison, even if it falls from 3 feet when the baggage guy tosses it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You got a point. And I did pay for insurance so if worse comes to worse I'll just make a claim

What about size of bag guys? I see most people buying bags that are bigger than their boards and when I go to stores they also recommend bigger bags - is it just for the extra storage room? Would it be an issue to get a bag the same size as my board?

·
Registered
138 Posts
You got a point. And I did pay for insurance so if worse comes to worse I'll just make a claim

What about size of bag guys? I see most people buying bags that are bigger than their boards and when I go to stores they also recommend bigger bags - is it just for the extra storage room? Would it be an issue to get a bag the same size as my board?
Def get a bag thats bigger than your board. You'll want to fit all you gear in the one bag to avoid more baggage fees. When I fly to ride I cram all my stuff into my board bag, boots, pants, jacket, helmet, under layers, gloves etc. all in there and then just bring a carry on with everything else. Unless its a longer trip, then I'll check another bag. I ride a 158 and my bag is a Dakine 180. And like others have said make sure it has wheels and is padded. Mine has held up since 2003 with at least 2 flights a year.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Definitely get it bigger (most of the time that is your only choice). If you ride a 152 you could get a 156 Wheelie Gig or a 157 Low Roller, but you would probably be better off with a 166 Burton WG or 165 Dakine LR. You will never regret getting "too much" bag, but you will always regret getting just enough. You want to be able to throw as much of you outerwear and things in the bag so that it protects your bag and limits the amount of suitcases.

If you pack it tight with soft things, you won't have any issues with the ear muff dudes tossing your bag around...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up going with the Burton Wheelie Gig bag 156. I wanted something I could use bus day trips as well and the Dakine High Roller seemed to big. I liked the separate compartments for the boots though. Oh well.

I managed to fit my helmet, two pants and my jacket in the wheelie gig bag.

I left the bindings on the board - no problems

1 - 15 of 15 Posts