Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
It takes time, your clean slope riding has to be GOOD, and the main thing is thinking a few steps ahead in the moguls. I suppose you could practise on flat slopes by making several sharp quick turns, pivoting the board under a calmer upper body.

Once in the moguls, pick your line and ride it out... Go slowly at first and as you get used to picking the right line (read: the one that's easiest on your knees) then you can start ramping up the speed.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I like to ride moguls as well. I'm not as smooth or fast as you though. This will give me a push to try some more mogul riding this weekend. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like to ride moguls as well. I'm not as smooth or fast as you though. This will give me a push to try some more mogul riding this weekend. :thumbsup:
Ha, I'm not in the videos, just looking for inspiration. As a new snowboarder I don't want to accept a "Don't go near the bumps" mind set.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
...and the main thing is thinking a few steps ahead in the moguls.
This is my main problem, keeping my focus a few bumps ahead. I get in a good groove in a mogul field and one always catches me off guard or off balance forcing me to start over...or get back up.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
This is my main problem, keeping my focus a few bumps ahead. I get in a good groove in a mogul field and one always catches me off guard or off balance forcing me to start over...or get back up.
Nothing wrong with that, maybe just slow it down a tad. I know you want to tackle the field, but maybe just ride the field a couple times first! :yahoo:

Also, are you getting tired in the field? It takes a lot of energy to tame the bumps, and if you're getting winded (I do) that can throw you off...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Normally i don't notice how much of a toll it took on me until I finish the run. I think I'm trying to ride too fast and losing my concentration.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
what happened to me a few times last week was wen I was doing a toeside skidded turn my board hit the side of a mogul and knocked me on my ass a couple times. I'm very new at boarding but everyday I go I make it a point to practice I the moguls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Practice makes perfect... in between is a lot of pain and sometimes frustration.

You have to start small and work your way up....

the Snow Wolf moguls.... that is where I'm having trouble with....but, the more I do it... the better I get. Having a stiff board also hurts

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I'm the guy in the Snowboarding moguls?! Yes sir! video. I wondered why my video was getting so many views, and then cootcraig told me that he had linked it in this thread. I'm flattered by your comments, and would like to help out if anyone here is interested in improving their mogul snowboarding skills.

I've been seriously dedicated to learning mogul snowboarding for 6 years or so. I grew up a cross country skier, and did a little alpine skiing, but I have no mogul skiing experience. All I've learned about mogul snowboarding has been from talking to skiers, reading mogul skiing books, watching mogul skiing videos, and lots of trial and error on the hill. I'm not a licensed instructor, but I do know the body mechanics well and I have a good idea of what makes the best mogul riding equipment.

If you care to know more, don't hesitate to ask!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

I'm the snowboarder in the Snowboarding Moguls?! Yes sir! video. Cootcraig messaged me and we've started up an email dialog.

I wondered why my video was getting so many hits until cootcraig mentioned that he posted a link to it here. I'm flattered by your comments. If any of you have questions about riding moguls, I can give my 2¢. Don't hesitate to ask!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts