Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello SBF,

Been riding Burton Custom for last 20+ years. Just always stuck with same model. Maybe on my 5th one now. I'm in my 50's and just looking for something a bit slower on the mountain. I will use the Custom for powder days but want something less aggressive, more stable, and ability to carve on the hard ice days. I ride a 163 now as I'm 5'7" 225 lbs. What would I look for in a board considering my requirements. Cost is not a factor

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
So what exactly is the aim of less aggressive? Generally speaking coming from a Custom Camber to get something better on ice and carving you're likely to get stiffer and what most would consider more aggressive. You're also likely to get something more directional for this use case and likely something that will actually float better than a Custom in deep snow, just a heads up

First thoughts are a Lib Dynamo, Nerd Superposition, Arbor Wasteland, K2 Passport, Rome Ravine Select, or a Jones Flagship

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hmm... 'less aggressive than Custom but carve on the hard icy days.' That would suggest you want something with some edge tech and/or long effective edge. So that eliminates lots of shot fatties, which are the party board shapes of the day. May be something from Yes with mid/underbite or Jones with magnetraction? Something like the Yes Standard Uninc, Hybrid Uninc, Jones Aviator or Stratos? But not sure if they rate as less aggressive than the Custom. But they are more stable, hold better edges, and can be made to work on ice. No doubt many other suggestions will follow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what exactly is the aim of less aggressive? Generally speaking coming from a Custom Camber to get something better on ice and carving you're likely to get stiffer and what most would consider more aggressive. You're also likely to get something more directional for this use case and likely something that will actually float better than a Custom in deep snow, just a heads up

First thoughts are a Lib Dynamo, Nerd Superposition, Arbor Wasteland, K2 Passport, Rome Ravine Select, or a Jones Flagship
Thanks for the response. "less aggressive?" Great question. If I can use a car analogy, rather than driving a Porche thru mountain twisties, I want something more like a Cadillac.

So then it seems I want something softer rather than harder?

I only ride one direction, so a directional board is totally OK for me. It seems most are pointing me towards a directional board?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm... 'less aggressive than Custom but carve on the hard icy days.' That would suggest you want something with some edge tech and/or long effective edge. So that eliminates lots of shot fatties, which are the party board shapes of the day. May be something from Yes with mid/underbite or Jones with magnetraction? Something like the Yes Standard Uninc, Hybrid Uninc, Jones Aviator or Stratos? But not sure if they rate as less aggressive than the Custom. But they are more stable, hold better edges, and can be made to work on ice. No doubt many other suggestions will follow.
"But they are more stable, hold better edges, and can be made to work on ice." = YES!!!

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Ok, "Cadillac" implies a board with a longer effective edge that's damp and stable. You don't want something ultra stiff, but it should be on the stiffer side to have that stability and dampness you want. A soft board will be easier to flex but it's not going to dig into ice as well.

If you don't ride switch, a directional board is gonna ride much better for you. Kevin's recommendations are really good. I'd also suggest the Arbor Annex.

But really, if you've only ever ridden a Custom you owe it to yourself to go demo some other boards before making a decision. Definitely get on something ridiculously long like a Lib Doughboy Shredder `95 which is the ultimate Cadillac board, or a Jones Flagship longer than your current board. You'll definitely feel a huge difference and then you can decide if you like that kind of board or not. Very likely you'll end up riding as fast or faster but, like a Cadillac, you can be going 90mph down the highway and feel like you're going 30 because the ride is so smooth and stable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, "Cadillac" implies a board with a longer effective edge that's damp and stable. You don't want something ultra stiff, but it should be on the stiffer side to have that stability and dampness you want. A soft board will be easier to flex but it's not going to dig into ice as well.

If you don't ride switch, a directional board is gonna ride much better for you. Kevin's recommendations are really good. I'd also suggest the Arbor Annex.

But really, if you've only ever ridden a Custom you owe it to yourself to go demo some other boards before making a decision. Definitely get on something ridiculously long like a Lib Doughboy Shredder `95 which is the ultimate Cadillac board, or a Jones Flagship longer than your current board. You'll definitely feel a huge difference and then you can decide if you like that kind of board or not. Very likely you'll end up riding as fast or faster but, like a Cadillac, you can be going 90mph down the highway and feel like you're going 30 because the ride is so smooth and stable.
GREAT advice. Much appreciated.

Directional = OK
On harder side = OK
Longer = OK

" Very likely you'll end up riding as fast or faster but, like a Cadillac, you can be going 90mph down the highway and feel like you're going 30 because the ride is so smooth and stable." = YES!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check out the Rome Stale Crewzer. I've been riding one for the past 3 seasons and it is the perfect resort board. Stiff enough to haul ass on groomers and land bigger jumps, but still playful enough for mini-shred schenanigans.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
GREAT advice. Much appreciated.

Directional = OK
On harder side = OK
Longer = OK

" Very likely you'll end up riding as fast or faster but, like a Cadillac, you can be going 90mph down the highway and feel like you're going 30 because the ride is so smooth and stable." = YES!!!
One other board that I owned that springs to mind is the Never Summer 25. They were only made for one year and the CRC profile is not what you want, but that board was stiff and ridiculously damp like a Buick LeSabre. I always thought if my knees get worse I'd want a board like that. I'd land jumps and go over bumps and subconsciously brace for impact and pain that never came - that board made me realize how much I anticipated the strain of riding because it just wasn't there. I heard bumps and stuff but didn't feel them. Most younger riders want more board feel than that but if your riding is limited more by physical constraints like old knees then those over-damp boards are incredible.

Others will have to comment on Never Summer stuff but they also make Academy boards which I haven't ridden but intrigue me as a 200lb getting older guy. Specifically this one: Graduate – Academy Snowboards

That's a directional twin camber board with the same epic dampening system as the NS 25.

·
Super Moderator
1,593 Posts
The new Amplid Singular (directional version) would be worth a look I reckon. Both Amplid boards I've ridden have no issues holding an edge in icy conditions, even the volume shifted Dada has great edge bite but i reckon the Singular um going to try to pick up this season if it comes to Australia.

·
Registered
267 Posts
One other board that I owned that springs to mind is the Never Summer 25. They were only made for one year and the CRC profile is not what you want, but that board was stiff and ridiculously damp like a Buick LeSabre. I always thought if my knees get worse I'd want a board like that. I'd land jumps and go over bumps and subconsciously brace for impact and pain that never came - that board made me realize how much I anticipated the strain of riding because it just wasn't there. I heard bumps and stuff but didn't feel them. Most younger riders want more board feel than that but if your riding is limited more by physical constraints like old knees then those over-damp boards are incredible.

Others will have to comment on Never Summer stuff but they also make Academy boards which I haven't ridden but intrigue me as a 200lb getting older guy. Specifically this one: Graduate – Academy Snowboards

That's a directional twin camber board with the same epic dampening system as the NS 25.
I got a 25 I'm gonna unload. Never ride it and prefer the WestBound over it and just grabbed a Mercury.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts