Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I rode a K2 Illusion 2014 for the past 2 years, 161, and I love it. However i hate that it catches on ice, and im just looking for something better for when I jump, and something that doesnt scratch as easily from dumb twigs.

I have been looking at the 2017 capita black snowboard of death, and it seems to be what Im looking for...

I am looking for mainly carving / jumps / all mtn + powder.

I ride mt alyeska in alaska and hilltop (park) but I ride alyeska more which is mostly all mtn...

Any suggestions or feedback towards the board im thinking of getting? or any suggestions towards a better board for what im trying to do? I was thinking the ride helix, but it says it isnt that good in powder.

I dont have alot of money for 2 boards, so looking for something mainly carving / mtn but that I can use for spins / jumps in park too.... that has same forgiving feel of the illusion but a much richer experience out there.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
The BSOD is actually kind of a noodle. Great if you're in hero snow, but I have never liked it anywhere else.

From Capita you're much better off with a Mercury. I would also look at the Yes Typo, Lago Double Barrel, Rome Mod Rocker, Arbor Westmark Camber or Coda Rocker, or a K2 Happy Hour.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn, what about never summer recommendations ? I really liked the BSOD graphic.

I guess this years was a bit more stiff than lasts.

Just wanting jumps, powder, durability and stability. Little - med park use. Mostly carving.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Typically, if you want carving, you don't want CRC (which is all NS makes). Some people disagree and prefer CRC. If you want a carving, stable board, I would trust Nivek's advice. I would add the DOA in the discussion in the Capita line (probably a bit more park oriented than the Mercury), and if you are dying for NS, something like the Type Two or Ripsaw may work for you.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
capita kazu! depends on your size though. that board is sexy. no idea how it rides though. I'm heavily influenced by the topsheet/base.

if you want NS, look at the 25/swift/type two. ripsaw no bueno for powder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the mercury better than the BSOD 2017? They seem very closely matched with the exception of powder being better on BSOD

what about the ride helix? I mean we hardly
Get good powder days here in Alaska..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So for mt Alyeska, - BSOD is a bad choice ? Can anyone look up Alyeska ski resort and take a look at the geography and match me a good type? I'm not pro, but I'm not noobie either. I just want to jump easy, land and not fall over, handle stupid ice catching well, and switch. At top of mountain theirs great powder snow but mid- lower it's all hard pack

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The BSOD is actually kind of a noodle. Great if you're in hero snow, but I have never liked it anywhere else.

From Capita you're much better off with a Mercury. I would also look at the Yes Typo, Lago Double Barrel, Rome Mod Rocker, Arbor Westmark Camber or Coda Rocker, or a K2 Happy Hour.
I ended up getting the 2017 lib tech t rice pro, seems like an in between of the BSOD and skate banana..:)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'd gamble on the kazu and get that. :)

seriously though, listen to nivek and get the mercury.

edit: that's a fine board too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd gamble on the kazu and get that.

seriously though, listen to nivek and get the mercury.

edit: that's a fine board too.
The kazu is mainly a powder board and we hardly get powder at all here in Alaska, unless it's Valdez... last year we had 1 powder day on Alyeska on a weekend for 3hours before closing for only time all year.
Kazu is amazing but doesn't match our conditions well

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The kazu is mainly a powder board and we hardly get powder at all here in Alaska, unless it's Valdez... last year we had 1 powder day on Alyeska on a weekend for 3hours before closing for only time all year.
you're one of those guys who asks for advice and goes 180 the other way huh? read the second sentence.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you're one of those guys who asks for advice and goes 180 the other way huh? read the second sentence.
I rented a mercury and didn't like it. I didn't like how it felt on ice which is all we had last year

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Hi -

However i hate that it catches on ice, and im just looking for something better for when I jump,

I am looking for mainly carving / jumps / all mtn + powder.

I ride mt alyeska in alaska and hilltop (park) but I ride alyeska more which is mostly all mtn...
boards don't catch on ice...its lack of skillz

for carving and jumps...you'd want something stiffer and cambered

and for all mtn + pow...imho like a crc a gnu rider's choice

and I do know where alyeska is ... straight north of moi

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is this the same Alyeska that I know? Didn't the mountain get nearly 600 inches last season?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Wow that's 21m. Chamonix got 7.5m last season and 2.5m the season before. Do you even ride bro?

Sent from my ONE E1001 using Tapatalk

·
The Swiss Miss
7,395 Posts
Wow that's 21m. Chamonix got 7.5m last season and 2.5m the season before. Do you even ride bro?

Well..."Hardly" is a relative term :)

And we all know, there never is enough pow, innit?

But yeah, I was thinking the same.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts