Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forums, hoping for some board advice from you all.

I’m an lower-intermediate level rider, pretty confident riding most of the mountain, like to ride powder as much as European mountains allow but often end up riding more hard pack. More into finding nice terrain to carve than gunning it down the piste. Starting to get into small freestyle stuff, 1-2 feet, but always aiming for larger obviously. I’m a fairly tall 6’6, size 13 boots, weighing in at around 250lbs. I’ve only ridden rental boards up till now as flying with equipment is costly here but I’m doing a few longer trips to Austria and France this season so finally looking to get my own.

After having a look around the forums here, I’m considering a few different options but I’m having difficulty deciding. The boards I’m considering are the following.

Nitro Magnum 165 wide
Never Summer Legacy 166 (was also considering a 161 as I can get a good deal on one but after having a look around I think that’s definitely to short?)
K2 Slayblade 166w

Anyone have any advice on which of these is more likely to suit my size or any other recommendations for a decent all-around board? Is the 161 definitely too short? I do tend to lean towards a shorter board, hence why I’m not looking at the 170s. I was looking at the larger GNU rider’s choice and Lib Tech Skunk Ape boards as well but can’t even find any here in the UK as the selection is so limited…

Cheers for any advice.

·
Registered
884 Posts
161 is too short, but i would go with the legacy, the other two are pretty stiff. probably stiffer than you want/need. Other boards to look at would be a Ride Wild life wide or arbor roundhouse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Riley. I can also get a Heritage X 166 for pretty much the same price. Would that be a better board than the Legacy for basic freestyling - butters, small jumps, popping off moguls, that sort of thing?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
161 is too short, but i would go with the legacy, the other two are pretty stiff. probably stiffer than you want/need. Other boards to look at would be a Ride Wild life wide or arbor roundhouse.
I haven't ridden these decks but at 250 lbs the OP will be able to flex a pretty stiff deck. Also low-intermediate quickly becomes intermediate level, so he will 'grow' into it pretty quick. That said the riding style listed would call for something not real stiff.

Also consider burton custom, it comes in a pretty wide range of sizes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Lamps.

Also something I forgot to mention is that a lot of the boards I've ridden I've found quite unstable on the landing, it's probably partly me, but some have definitely been more stable on the landing than others. Sadly I didn't note down the good ones, any advice on what I should be looking for here for a more stable landing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts