Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, long rant but a quick question:
I'm up in Burton country (Burlington VT) and for the most part Burton boots do not fit me.

I've gone through half a dozen boots over the last 3 seasons trying to find a boot that fits me. I have wide feet, but not monsters, I've gone through in the last season: maysis wides and Burton ruler wides. A couple hours to days in and my foot is in pain, for the last 5 years, I just dealt with it, adjust at the mountain or the local shop near the mountain or take boots off after a single ride etc.. I hate it.. there are days where I hit the mountain and I get done with a single run and I'm in so much pain I just leave..

So.. I'm looking for a good boot fitter I can share my hard earned money with.. No... An amazing boot fitter.. I will drive hours to find this boot fitter.

The shops up here are very Burton focused, and then some k2's.. but that's it... No 32's for instance, and even the k2s... Can't get the wide ones in store. Or they are ski focused.

I'm not looking for boot recomendations, I'm mainly looking for boot fitters. Looking for new England recomendations.

Much appreciated! I'm sick of the heat and can't wait for winter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm up in Burton country (Burlington VT) and for the most part Burton boots do not fit me.

I've gone through half a dozen boots over the last 3 seasons trying to find a boot that fits me. I have wide feet, but not monsters, I've gone through in the last season: maysis wides and Burton ruler wides. A couple hours to days in and my foot is in pain, for the last 5 years, I just dealt with it, adjust at the mountain or the local shop near the mountain or take boots off after a single ride etc.. I hate it.. there are days where I hit the mountain and I get done with a single run and I'm in so much pain I just leave..

So.. I'm looking for a good boot fitter I can share my hard earned money with.. No... An amazing boot fitter.. I will drive hours to find this boot fitter.

The shops up here are very Burton focused, and then some k2's.. but that's it... No 32's for instance, and even the k2s... Can't get the wide ones in store. Or they are ski focused.

I'm not looking for boot recomendations, I'm mainly looking for boot fitters. Looking for new England recomendations.

Do you have custom or aftermarket insoles?

Any decent boot fitter, as opposed to some shop worker who just wants to sell you boots, will strongly suggest you get custom insoles, or at least after market ones.

I got some Remind insoles to suit my arch height, and they seem to be working well. I'm buying a second pair for my skate shoes.

+1 on Burton Avenger/Angry's youtube bootfitting series. BA will tell you straight up, the stock insoles that come with boots are [email protected]#[email protected], thow them in the trash.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remind insoles all the way, they made a huge difference over my previous insole (was using another snowboard specific brand I can't think of at the moment before I found reminds that were almost as good.) I have watched angry's bootfitting videos and heel shins helped a bit but then the top of my foot was killing me and going numb..

I'll check out ba's as I hadn't seen/heard about those yet.

I was looking for a bootfitter for a good baseline to work off of, and then adjust as I know nothing will fit right out of the box.

Thank you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go see Dan Weis at Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington, tell him The Angry Snowboarder sent you. He'll know who I am. And if he fucks up dick punch him. Remind him that I said to do that as well.
Hah! I was there when they were putting gear away in the spring and I believe I talked to him about the new stuff they were expecting in the fall with a lot more brands coming in. (He was the only one there that understood my frustrations.) They are my go to place for gear outside of the winter.. will definitely talk to him!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Keep us updated, I'm in the same boat as you!

Except my feet are narrow not wide, and I'm on Long Island.... Zero boot fitters here.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
https://www.bootfitters.com/find-a-fitter/results?location-country=US&location-administrative_area=VT&keys=

Pick the one close to you.

Yes, they tend to be more ski-oriented, but the fundamental principles are the same, however, there are less adjustments to a snowboard boot than a snowboard boot.
Just so everyone knows, it used to cost 500 bucks a year to get listed as an America Best Bootfitter. Doesn't always mean they know their ass from a hole in the ground. Ask lots of questions before you get financially involved. Anyone can take the class to get the certification, it's actually investing in yourself to build up the understanding of proper boot fitting. Not saying there aren't great people on that list, just saying be aware.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
https://www.bootfitters.com/find-a-fitter/results?location-country=US&location-administrative_area=VT&keys=

Pick the one close to you.

Yes, they tend to be more ski-oriented, but the fundamental principles are the same, however, there are less adjustments to a snowboard boot than a snowboard boot.
However there are somewhat different dynamics on how the foot moves in the boot. Like with skis, one is generally on the balls and leaning into the shin/tongue...skiers get shin bang; where as in riding, you also leverage/apply pressure on the calf and back cuff area on the boot and sometimes with poorly fitted sb boots you can get toe bang or black toe (which also happens in ski boots). Also ski boots hardshell vs soft shell sb boots have a completely different movement parameters and feel.

The local go to guy has been fitting ski boots for maybe 40 years and he does sb hardboots/AT ski boots. He took a quick look and some measurements of my feet and recommended a brand and model of AT boots for my splitty rig. They worked great, but even after a fitting and heat mould by him, it still took me another trip to the fitter and 6 additional on hill days of tweaking to get them dialed. So the point is, despite being a great boot fitter they can only do so much...and then each person needs to take over and do the final fitting refinements.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts

Hi Geekd4d,

What size boots are you wearing? What are your barefoot length and width measurements? If you haven't measured yet please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

STOKED!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Geekd4d,

What size boots are you wearing? What are your barefoot length and width measurements? If you haven't measured yet please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

STOKED!
Will get back to you later on today! (Current boots are 9.5 "wide" and I hate them.)

As for @ oge - they don't have their gear out yet, late August supposedly. So I'm going to revisit them then.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Geekd4d,

STOKED!
Okay! Here we go:
Length: 25.718cm (10 &1/8")
Width: 9.525cm (3 & 3/4")

Currently wearing a 2016 Burton ruler 9.5wide as that was the only thing that came close to not crushing the sides of my foot. (A little soft for how I ride, but they didn't cause me instant pain.. so I dealt with it. Also 60+ days on them.. time to go )

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Okay! Here we go:
Length: 25.718cm (10 &1/8")
Width: 9.525cm (3 & 3/4")

Currently wearing a 2016 Burton ruler 9.5wide as that was the only thing that came close to not crushing the sides of my foot. (A little soft for how I ride, but they didn't cause me instant pain.. so I dealt with it. Also 60+ days on them.. time to go )

Thank you!
Hi Geek,

A few things to note. 25.78 cm is Mondopoint 260 or size 8 US in snowboard boots. The range for Mondopoint 260 is 25.6 to 26.0 cm so you are at the smaller side of the range. 9.525 cm wide is actually a "standard" D width at your size. It would be a narrow "C" width at size 9.5. We should get a look at some images of your bare feet being measured to confirm each of these 4 measurements.

STOKED!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Geek,

A few thinks to note. 25.78 cm is Mondopoint 260 or size 8 US in snowboard boots. The range for Mondopoint 260 is 25.6 to 26.0 cm so you are at the smaller side of the range. 9.525 cm wide is actually a "standard" D width at your size. It would be a narrow "C" width at size 9.5. We should get a look at some images of your bare feet being measured to confirm each of these 4 measurements.

STOKED!
I do not have a flat wall here at work, will check again tonight when I am home and grab some pics of my funky ass feet, but I did do the measurements half a dozen times as I couldn't believe it myself. (I looked up the mondo sizes once I converted to cm and saw it was close to an 8).

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I do not have a flat wall here at work, will check again tonight when I am home and grab some pics of my funky ass feet, but I did do the measurements half a dozen times as I couldn't believe it myself. (I looked up the mondo sizes once I converted to cm and saw it was close to an 8).
This is very common. Snowboard boot sizes are not intuitive. Most foot pain in snowboarding is caused by boots that are poorly sized. This is almost always due to boots that are too large. This is often a result of rider's buying their shoe size. Snowboard boot size will never be the same as Brannock shoe size.

I will be able to get you sorted once I see your images.

STOKED!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is very common. Snowboard boot sizes are not intuitive. Most foot pain in snowboarding is caused by boots that are poorly sized. This is almost always due to boots that are too large. This is often a result of rider's buying their shoe size. Snowboard boot size will never be the same as Brannock shoe size.

I will be able to get you sorted once I see your images.

STOKED!
http://imgur.com/a/PDIDMA9

I was able to find a ruler that does both mm and cm here at work! My large unmovable desk as the flat surface.. as our walls here are not straight lol.

Pics added!

Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts

I was able to find a ruler that does both mm and cm here at work! My large unmovable desk as the flat surface.. as our walls here are not straight lol.

Pics added!

Much appreciated
Hi Geek,

I am seeing a gap which looks to be about 3 mm before the measurements start on the visible end of that ruler. Does the other end start at right at 0. My comments below are based on starting at 0.

Those are well taken measurement and at 25.7 cm I can confirm that you are indeed well within the range for Mondopoint 260 or size 8 US in snowboard boots. You are actually the top measurement (9.7 cm) in the width range for a standard D width. The Burton Ruler Wide's in size 9.5 (Mondopoint 27.5) are 1.5 sizes larger than your foot in length and at EEE width they are 3 width sizes wider than your foot. In snowboarding, that much extra room will rob you of control and will almost always cause major discomfort.

The great news is that you can select from the huge range of standard width boots that are available in your size range (almost all of the boots on the market). It is most likely that all you will need is a thin pair of snowboard specific socks and a heat fit and you will be in for an amazing season of comfort and control.

STOKED!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Pics added!

Much appreciated
Hi Geek,

I am seeing a gap which looks to be about 3 mm before the measurements start on the visible end of that ruler. Does the other end start at right at 0. My comments below are based on starting at 0.

Those are well taken measurement and at 25.7 cm I can confirm that you are indeed well within the range for Mondopoint 260 or size 8 US in snowboard boots. You are actually the top measurement (9.7 cm) in the width range for a standard D width. The Burton Ruler Wide's in size 9.5 (Mondopoint 27.5) are 1.5 sizes larger than your foot in length and at EEE width they are 3 width sizes wider than your foot. In snowboarding, that much extra room will rob you of control and will almost always cause major discomfort.

The great news is that you can select from the huge range of standard width boots that are available in your size range (almost all of the boots on the market). It is most likely that all you will need is a thin pair of snowboard specific socks and a heat fit and you will be in for an amazing season of comfort and control.

STOKED!

Yeah I accounted for the gap there, I was able to get the ruler under the desk lined up with 0.

I can't get over the fact that it's an 8... 9s absolutely crush the sides of my foot and are ridiculously hard to get my foot into. Instant pain on the sides. I'll give it a shot when I go try on boots next month (local places do not have them out yet)
I at least have a baseline, thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Yeah I accounted for the gap there, I was able to get the ruler under the desk lined up with 0.

I can't get over the fact that it's an 8... 9s absolutely crush the sides of my foot and are ridiculously hard to get my foot into. Instant pain on the sides. I'll give it a shot when I go try on boots next month (local places do not have them out yet)
I at least have a baseline, thank you very much!
Great, then your measurements look good. Heat fit will be required (as always). With that you will be good to go. You are a low US size 8 so no worries there. Snowboard boots have a very different fit than shoes. In a boot that varies from your correct Mondopoint fit none of the structures of the boot will line up with the structures of the foot. That, combined with motion within the boot causes discomfort. With those issues corrected you will be well set for next season.

STOKED!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts