Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
First thing, looking good on a board has nothing to do with how fast you are going - you can quite easily get to a level where you can control the board at speed whilst still being a terrible snowboarder.

Second thing, you can usually tell if someone is 'good' just by the way they stand on their board, even when they are not moving.

In my opinion it's stance and how comfortable you look while snowboarding that makes one look or appear visually 'good'. And by stance I don't mean binding width/ angles etc, it's all to do with body positioning. I would suggest you watch some videos on stance and also find snowboarders online that you thing look good, and try to mimic their actions. Far easier to say than do, but you have to find what works for you, no two boarders are the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so i've been skiing for about 15 years now (im 18 rn), and i switched to snowboard about 5 years ago and i think i've gotten pretty decent at it. I'm at a point where i almost can go full speed down all the black slopes feeling comfortable and knowing that I stil have controll over the situation. The thing is though, it doesnt matter if i'm going full speed down a slope or casually calmy cruising back and forth and enjoying the run and just living out my passion for snowboarding, I LOOK LIKE A FUCKING DORK. LIke i dont know why but there are always those people who casually roam down the slope looking complete badass and just looking like they own the world either beeing the best snowboarders ever or literally new snowboarders who can barely stand up. Is it the clothing that makes someone look good? the posture? hand positioning?

I know you shouldn't give a fuck about what others think but i wouldn't mind beeing the person people thinks is fucking awsome and want to be just like. What is it from an eye of fashion that makes someone look so confident and cool? Is it the clothing or is it the body language itself? Are there typical errors that snowboarders make that is just stupid and makes riding hard and also makes them look like dork or is it just my natural body language that is fucked up? like me as a person, the position my body is standing in while roaming down the slope?

Also, do you have any recomendations on clothes that makes a rider look more confident and better? Should i aim for going with out a helmet?oversized hoodie? Extremely bright colours on the jackets?

Any replies are appreciated and anything from links to certain videos or clothes to just general tips on what to wear or how to fix your body posture and body language would be greatly appreciated :). Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor engliesh :p

Nothing looks cooler than a larger person with perfect form. Seeing that mass casually and perfect cruising down the mountain! Don’t be a Jerry unless it’s “gaper day”

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just don’t be like those people with the most expensive gear who can’t ride for sh+t. I once rode a chair with a guy decked out in high-end outerwear with an expensive board. When we got to off-loading the chair (it was just the 2 of us), he griped that we should have sat in opposite spots because I’m goofy and he’s regular. He was worried about sitting on the “correct” side of the chair for offloading! All that money spent on gear and he hadn’t mastered getting off the lift!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just don’t be like those people with the most expensive gear who can’t ride for sh+t. I once rode a chair with a guy decked out in high-end outerwear with an expensive board. When we got to off-loading the chair (it was just the 2 of us), he griped that we should have sat in opposite spots because I’m goofy and he’s regular. He was worried about sitting on the “correct” side of the chair for offloading! All that money spent on gear and he hadn’t mastered getting off the lift!
Lol i know a guy like that, most baller outerwear, like 6 new snowboards, he rides about 2 hours a day when we go out west before tiring out, still cant set an edge worth a shit or leave the ground after riding for 5 years, but his Instagram account is full of selfies with pro boarders or pictures of the ramen he's eating at the lodge :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
This was me a few years ago learning to ride switch well. I flipped the bindings double positive on a brand new Gnu Mullair and could barely get on and off the lift. I'd never skated goofy-footed. Still could ride away clean but the chair lift hurt.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Seems like a legit question to me. My take on it is that while you might feel in control, i am guessing that you arent as in control as you think. The invisible girlfriend arm (trailing arm looks like its wrapped around an invisible girl by your side); open shoulders, straight legs. All of them might seem innocent enough, and you can cruise down blacks doing that... but people who do this (myself included) do not have the balance and steadiness to hit a decent sized jump and stay stable in the air. Thats where i realised how shit i actually was. Then you look at the really good guys. Arms are by their sides, stance is low, shoulders in line with the board, and they can be wearing the dorkiest stuff on the mountain, and still ooze style.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts