Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a new board for the upcoming season and am looking for some opinions.

Current situation:
2007 154 Rome Agent
Ride Capo bindings(Medium-Stiff All-mountain binding)
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 150-160ish lbs
Boot Size: 10.5

My current board is definitely more of a park board. It's traditional camber and quite poppy. I'm looking to get a board that leans more toward all mountain, since my board doesn't handle powder well(Short, camber, heavy, narrow) and can get a bit chattery/unstable at speed even when I feel I should be holding a solid edge. I don't do too much park anymore, and when I do it's mostly things like kickers, hips, pipe, etc. Not too much jibbing for me anymore. I'd say my ride profile fits a bit like this:

Groomer Cruising: 30%
Ungroomed/Steeps: 35%
Trees/Glades: 20%
Park: 15%

I was initially leaning towards the NS Heritage, but some of the reviews of it being an aggressive board turned me away. I also want the ability do some fun freestyle stuff off of natural features, so a total bomber probably isn't the best for me. I ride exclusively in-resort, so a board like this might be a bit of overkill for almost all in-bounds hike-to terrain.

I've lately been leaning towards the NS Proto HD, since it seems to fit my rider profile(Handles powder decently, stable at speed, but still poppy enough to have fun when you want it to). My only concern with this board is the dampness level. I just worry that it'll have too much "Feel" underfoot which won't make it great for the frozen chowder days, however I don't want to go too much in the opposite direction and have a board with so much damp that I can't feel what I'm riding over and lose a bit of control/confidence.

Also I've been looking at getting the 157 edition of the board, I know 3cm isn't a huge difference, but I'm curious if the Proto feels long or short due to effective edge/contact points?

Any owners/testers of the Proto HD have suggestions?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Proto definitely not much more of an all-mountain board than the Agent - if anything the other way around.
Interesting, also keep in mind, my model is around 7 years old, so the new agents(which I haven't ridden or read much about), could be quite different.

Rome Agent Snowboard | Dogfunk.com

Do you have any other recommendations for my riding style?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a new board for the upcoming season and am looking for some opinions.

Current situation:
2007 154 Rome Agent
Ride Capo bindings(Medium-Stiff All-mountain binding)
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 150-160ish lbs
Boot Size: 10.5

My current board is definitely more of a park board. It's traditional camber and quite poppy. I'm looking to get a board that leans more toward all mountain, since my board doesn't handle powder well(Short, camber, heavy, narrow) and can get a bit chattery/unstable at speed even when I feel I should be holding a solid edge. I don't do too much park anymore, and when I do it's mostly things like kickers, hips, pipe, etc. Not too much jibbing for me anymore. I'd say my ride profile fits a bit like this:

Groomer Cruising: 30%
Ungroomed/Steeps: 35%
Trees/Glades: 20%
Park: 15%

I was initially leaning towards the NS Heritage, but some of the reviews of it being an aggressive board turned me away. I also want the ability do some fun freestyle stuff off of natural features, so a total bomber probably isn't the best for me. I ride exclusively in-resort, so a board like this might be a bit of overkill for almost all in-bounds hike-to terrain.

I've lately been leaning towards the NS Proto HD, since it seems to fit my rider profile(Handles powder decently, stable at speed, but still poppy enough to have fun when you want it to). My only concern with this board is the dampness level. I just worry that it'll have too much "Feel" underfoot which won't make it great for the frozen chowder days, however I don't want to go too much in the opposite direction and have a board with so much damp that I can't feel what I'm riding over and lose a bit of control/confidence.

Also I've been looking at getting the 157 edition of the board, I know 3cm isn't a huge difference, but I'm curious if the Proto feels long or short due to effective edge/contact points?

Any owners/testers of the Proto HD have suggestions?

Check out this thread.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/neversummer/80226-review-2014-never-summer-proto-hd.html?highlight=2014+summer

·
Banned
257 Posts
if price is not an issue, try out the dc devun pro. its one of the all mountain, stiffer (but not to stiff) twin boards that are popping up these days.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Look into the Flow Drifter, Salomon Time Machine, K2 Subculture or Happy Hour, Signal OG Flat, Arbor Coda, Rossi Angus or Jibsaw, or a Bataleon Goliath.

if price is not an issue, try out the dc devun pro. its one of the all mountain, stiffer (but not to stiff) twin boards that are popping up these days.
Stop it. You are stupid.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Look into the Flow Drifter, Salomon Time Machine, K2 Subculture or Happy Hour, Signal OG Flat, Arbor Coda, Rossi Angus or Jibsaw, or a Bataleon Goliath.

Stop it. You are stupid.
Thanks for the suggestions, I've already looked at the Coda, but the full rocker kinda turned me away. The Goliath and Drifter seem like a solid decks so I'll check those out a bit more

1 - 12 of 12 Posts