Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uses: bad conditions to a few inches of fresh, groomers, steep ice, chasing skiers, trees, natural features, occasional kickers, no park

Beefs with the Billy Goat: I'm not sure why but it feels like turning cruise ship it's so slow to turn. I have a stiffer board that doesn't take as much muscle to turn. If I end up on steep mogul fields it's an absolute nightmare. It's really only comes alive on groomed blues. I think I would prefer true camber over C3. It sucks in powder, but I have other boards for pow days.

Things I like about it: The mild serrated edge is nice for icy patches. It's stiff and damp and blows through chunder. Despite CRC profile feels mostly camber. Carves good, holds an edge.

Stats: 5'10, 175#, sz 9

I demoed a Flagship at one point that seemed to be similar to the Billy Goat but do everything slightly better. The BG is getting relegated to rock board status.
Thanks in advance for recommendations.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
C3 billy...ehhh should just be a straight up traditional camber...imho (not a fan of c3). OTOH, had a c2 159 billy and it ripped, excelled in 6-12" pow on natty...but you had to be aggressive with it or it would ride you. I'd guess if it feels like a tank to turn, you are not being dynamic/aggressive enough with it. Also because of the torsional looseness of the Billy, it will absorb/eat natty but will not rail turns like a traditional torsionally stiff camber. The c2 billy likes to keep its nose within 45 degrees of the fall line...hence the need to be dynamic, aggressive and keep ahead of the beast. When blasting groomers it liked to run down the fall line but did not like to get transverse where you could do C shape carves. Also because of the crc profile it was a bit dead feeling, in that it doesn't pop edge to edge like camber...it was more of a roll from edge to edge.

I replaced it with an Amplid Creamer 163...its not quite the beast, torsionally a bit stiffer, floats better in the pow, more lively and flickable. And its light as a feather compared to the Billy which was heavy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I really haven't been on enough boards to tell whether it's torsionally loose, I do notice myself initiating turns by twisting as this seems to be the most consistent way. But especially on steep challenging terrain sometimes it just doesn't turn consistently and it gets sketchy. I don't trust that when I try to throw it to a new edge it will be on that edge by the time I need it to be. I'm not a weak guy and I ride it pretty aggressively but maybe this board is still just too aggressive for me, idk.
I've been so horny to try Amplid stuff. Looks like they have 18/19 creamer and UNW8 on their website deeply discounted.
Does creamer run big? 159 BG to 163 creamer seems like a moderate jump in length. How heavy are you? Have you ridden any of their other boards?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
I really haven't been on enough boards to tell whether it's torsionally loose, I do notice myself initiating turns by twisting as this seems to be the most consistent way. But especially on steep challenging terrain sometimes it just doesn't turn consistently and it gets sketchy. I don't trust that when I try to throw it to a new edge it will be on that edge by the time I need it to be. I'm not a weak guy and I ride it pretty aggressively but maybe this board is still just too aggressive for me, idk.
I've been so horny to try Amplid stuff. Looks like they have 18/19 creamer and UNW8 on their website deeply discounted.
Does creamer run big? 159 BG to 163 creamer seems like a moderate jump in length. How heavy are you? Have you ridden any of their other boards?
I right at 172#, with 23.5 stance and +18,-9 duck, at Baker. Naw, the creamer runs small. on hard pack and icy groomers the nose does not factor in that much and it rides more like a straight up camber. But in pow 6-16" the rocker nose does the heavy lifting. And the board is sooo light its really makes it flickable. Lastly, something is happening with the sidecut radius and flex in that it is stable on straight lining and doing tight hotrod turns. It covers alot of range for conditions and terrain. So I down to basically a 4 board quiver, 155 Bpro c2btx for goofing around on, old 162 option northshore which is a old style full cam shovel nose/pintail for groomed and a tad of pow, 164 charlie slasher for deep pow and the creamer which does double duty as a daily driver and split.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should have said "rides small" instead of "runs big". Thanks for the rec, I might be even more interested in the UNW8, as I have a RCR board with 10mm taper that I feel like might ride similar to the creamer but same running length at only 157

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ride Berzerker, Rome Blur, Arbor Annex, Yes PYL, Weston 10th, Nidecker Rave.
A little confused by those suggestions, they're all RCR except the Rave? And Annex looks like a pow deck with that 20mm taper. I've got a 10mm taper RCR board I like a lot (Salomon Sickstick) so was looking for something like directional twin camber. Rave looks sick though. Just watch Avran's vid on the Rave, do you know why he said it's not for jumping?
How about Rome Mod over Blur?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
A little confused by those suggestions, they're all RCR except the Rave? And Annex looks like a pow deck with that 20mm taper. I've got a 10mm taper RCR board I like a lot (Salomon Sickstick) so was looking for something like directional twin camber. Rave looks sick though. Just watch Avran's vid on the Rave, do you know why he said it's not for jumping?
From what you're talking about, the fact you're coming off a Goat, and you're contemplating a Flagship, twin or directional twin didnt seem to fit.

Annex has taper, but it's a nimble freeride board. Bomber like the Goat, but quicker on edge. The Berzerker is just early rise nose.

If you want directional twin or charger twin look at the Jones Ultra Mtn Twin, Mod, DC Space Echo, Niche Maelstrom, Lib Hot Knife, Ride Algorithm or Helix, Capita DOA or Supernova, or Arbor Coda Camber

·
Premium Member
2,792 Posts
Splitting the difference between Nivek's two lists, I'd throw in the DC Supernatant. Not twin, but not as directional as the first list either. The more I ride it the more I love it, became my DD last season and the only one of my boards I've ridden so far this season.

I will say if you like the dampness of your billygoat, then the Supernatant is not your board. It's very lively, but the right binding gives all the shock absorption you need.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I think the Mod is the greatest board ever except in pow, and it ticks the boxes for camber, edge hold, and quick turning. But if you're not doing park a directional board seems better unless you really like riding true twins all mountain.

I just picked up a Blur on sale and I have to say stacking it up with my Mod in the living room the differences in shape and sidecut are minimal. The Mod has a stiffer flex, higher camber, and no setback. Both are centered on sidecut and the Blur is more blunted. I expect that the setback, tiny bit of rocker in the tips, and directional flex will account for any difference in riding the Blur. Both boards are very light.

Just on paper I don't see why the Blur wouldn't make a decent directional twin park board but we'll see how it rides when it snows. If it's anything like a setback Mod I'll be thrilled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts