Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to move up from a 155 Salomon Assassin (2015-2016). Being 6ft, I found the nose and tail to be a bit too short, and my bindings are already maxed out on the mounting holes. I'll probably keep it around for 100% park sessions, but I don't think I can rely on it for the rest of the mountain.

Stats:
height: 6'
boot: 10
weight: 160

I would consider myself a pretty advanced snowboarder. Have been riding for about 9+ years or so and have no trouble hitting anything on the mountain. I avoid the super big booters (50+ ft) and superpipes because my knees and back don't like it but everything else is fair game.

I prefer camber dominant shapes and ride about 40% park, 30% trails, 20% trees. Ride regular and switch equally so a true twin is a must (unless there's a directional twin that's barely offset or feels no different).

Some boards I've been looking at are:
  • Burton Process
  • Burton Paramount
  • Capita DOA
  • Never Summer Proto Synthesis
  • Never Summer Proto Slinger
  • Salomon Assassin Pro?
  • Yes. Jackpot
I've owned a Burton Custom Twin before and found it a bit too stiff and "accurate" for my riding style. I would prefer some give to play around on trails and in slushy parks. I don't know if the Process or Paramount are the answers to that because I've never tried them.

I haven't tried Capita boards before so don't know what they're like.

Never Summer I've owned before many years ago as a kid but it's been ages since I've tried one. I've heard a lot of great things about them but not sure if its just fanboys or its actually god-tier.

I could stick with shape I like and get another Assassin (but where's the fun in that?). It also seems like the Assassin has changed much over the years. I also owned a Salomon Villain right before the Assassin and got the Assassin because I loved the shape of the Villain but found it a tad bit too soft and unstable at high speed.

I've never seen a Yes. board in my life but they seem to get a lot of hype.

·
Registered
599 Posts
DOA 158, can’t go wrong. Sure there’s other choices but it’s solid. Could go westmark camber 157mw, Bataleon evil twin 159, like you mentioned assassin pro or even the huck knife pro

·
Registered
213 Posts
The DOA and the Protosynthesis match what you are looking for the most out of those. You might want to look into starting a quiver of boards. Maybe keep the Assassin for park if you find it suits all your park needs, a protosynthesis for resort trails, and then something shorter volume shifted for powder/trees like an Orca, Telos backslash, maybe a slush slasher, K2 Cool bean, etc. You can really cover pretty much everything with a 3 board quiver and get the most out of each type of riding in every condition. Look into the Jones mountain twin for all mountain as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
DOA is one of the most fun boards ever made, that's what I'd go with from that lineup. One thing to note is the effective edge is really long on the DOA so you can often get away with a slightly shorter board as they ride longer than they are.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Going on my 4th season with my 2018 DOA. Currently paired with Union Falcors, it is my mainstay setup.

Being more of a freeride/powder rider, I’ve taken the DOA through a variety of conditions and it can work as a “Quiver of One.” Riding deep powder is slightly difficult on the DOA, but is manageable with proper skill and strength. Otherwise, consider pairing the DOA with a dedicated powder board for the deep days. Outside freeriding/powder, the pop and stability is also great for park jumps. (no rails/boxes for my Old Rad Dad bones, but many consider the DOA as a great park board as well).

As an owner of boards from Burton, GNU, and Ride- I believe Capita’s Mothership builds strong & lightweight boards at reasonable prices, while being good to the environment. The construction of boards from the Mothership are exceptional, in my opinion and experience.

Disclaimer: I am a big fan of C3 (Capita/Union/Coal).

Reactions: Secretazian19

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Rome Party Mod, Capita Outsiders, Niche Wraith, Rome Agent or National, Arbor Relapse or Coda, Yes Jackpot, Gnu Headspace or Boxknife, K2 Bottle Rocket, or a IPP Harrow

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
I mean kinda. C3 is basically camber. That low point doesn't engage till you load the board and in reality it is more of a flat zone between the feet than actually reverse camber.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I mean kinda. C3 is basically camber. That low point doesn't engage till you load the board and in reality it is more of a flat zone between the feet than actually reverse camber.
Lol so why not just call it camber. It’s turned me off from a lot of boards

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Lol so why not just call it camber. It’s turned me off from a lot of boards
Because that's their schtick. Their entire marketing is centered around banana as they call it. It's actually not as terrible when you think of it as marketing, it's almost always better to stay on brand.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Cause it's not traditional camber and that micro reverse zone does have an effect. By effective flattening the length between the feet you don't have to drive your knees as hard to engage the middle part of the sidecut. Lost of brands to similarish shapes, its what I like to call camber 2.0.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Cause it's not traditional camber and that micro reverse zone does have an effect. By effective flattening the length between the feet you don't have to drive your knees as hard to engage the middle part of the sidecut. Lost of brands to similarish shapes, its what I like to call camber 2.0.
So C3 ala ejack is the least rocker?

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
So C3 ala ejack is the least rocker?
That's correct. C3 usually feels like traditional camber. I say "usually" because each board is actually different and there are slight variations in manufacturing. Here's my experience:

Gnu Mullair = Feels like traditional camber.

Lib x Lost Rocket = Feels like traditional camber.

Lib Box Knife = Feels like traditional camber except railing turns on hard snow you can feel the middle contact point engage along with the tips. One of the reasons I love this board is because the edge hold is perfect on ice.

Lib Hot Knife = Looks like mild camber and has a couple mm gap on the table, but you can actually feel the rocker between your feet when you put bindings on and weight it. In lift lines it doesn't have that straight grab like traditional camber and you can really feel the independent camber zones while riding. Actually a ton of fun but riding-wise felt closer to an aggressive C2X than traditional camber to me.

Gnu Spam = Feels like S-camber, but I haven't ridden it a lot and it only existed for two years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts