Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like work is going to put me in Anchorage quite a bit this spring. Likely a good deal of April and May. Hey, I ain't mad. :D

What do I need to know? What's close? I'll be working 3-4 days at a time, but instead of flying back home, I'll probably put myself up on my own dime between those 3-4 days stretches. I'd like to do a mix of resort and BC riding, but if I can find some decent BC partners, I might just forego the resorts.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Nice. Isn't Alyeska nearby? I want to do a trifecta in Alaska. Alaskan Cruise (to please the wifey), go fishing for barndoor Halibut, and then a few days at Alyeska. Ahh ...

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good call on the halibut! Not sure what the season is, but I might have to do that if it's an option. God I love halibut!

And yeah, looks like Alyeska is about 40 miles from Anchorage.

I really wanna go hit up the Talkeetnas.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
This year it's March 23 to open the season, so I assume next year you'll be right on time. Lucky bastard!

Those alaskan (pacific) halibuts are monsters compared to the ones we catch down here in San Diego (california halibut).

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
That is the best job news ever.... I have been thinking of working up there in the spring/summer. Seems like it would be awesome.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Living part time in Alaska and spending the rest of your time in Colorado, does it get any better?

Congrats and good luck.

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Living part time in Alaska and spending the rest of your time in Colorado, does it get any better?

Congrats and good luck.
Not to rub it in, but yeah, actually it does. My territory also covers Utah, Cali, the PNW, Idaho, and Montana. My travel schedule during the season is going to be heavily influenced by powder forecasts. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
will be awesome spring riding at alyeska in april, and alyeska is open on the weekends all the way through may. I ride aly about 80 days a year.....super sick resort

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not to rub it in, but yeah, actually it does. My territory also covers Utah, Cali, the PNW, Idaho, and Montana. My travel schedule during the season is going to be heavily influenced by powder forecasts. :D
Looks like i'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to be traveling all over the Rocky Mountain region for work. Although, I don't know how much snowboarding I'm going to be able to do.

Unfortunately, the upgrade in the job might be a downgrade in my 100 day seasons. :(

It's going to be pretty hard staring at the mountains while I'm stuck working. We'll see how it all turns out, but a man's gotta have his priorities (snowboarding>money).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Linville, if you want some easy backcountry, I would recommend Hatcher Pass. It's about an hour out of Anchorage just north of Palmer in the Talkeetna Mountains. It has plowed snow parks with lines to be had without having to skin in long distance. I've ridden there a few times and if the snow is good, it's pretty epic. You might email snowolf about it, he knows the area like the back of his hand.

Alyeska is going to be your goto spot for great riding served by chairs. Typically they shut down in mid April depending on snow conditions. For the best technical terrain in the back country, go to Turnagain Pass on the same highway as Alyeska (Seward Highway) just past Portage. I'm up here at Mt. Aurora Skiland in Fairbanks and we are usually open in April. Nothing epic, but its a fun ski hill with lots of trees and a great local vibe. Also home of the farthest north chairlift in the world. You should try to make it up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts