Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgot to zip my pocket back up after doing a speed run with my friends GPS. The good news is that it was a 5 year old Samsung flip phone worth almost nothing. I also hit 32mph and I was just hoping for over 30. And I found a $20 sitting in the snow when I went back to look for my phone. I'm heading back in the morning with another phone to try and hunt it down. If that doesn't work then I'll be getting an Evo a few months sooner then planned instead of the Flow bindings I wanted.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you weren't off piste in some remote spot, then there's a fair chance that the phone will be found. One guy on my first trip dropped his blackberry in the snow. We called it and sent it text messages saying "If you find this phone, call ###-###-####". About a week later after we had come home, we get a phone call from someone who found it.... which was good because our friend had a lot of business contacts on the phone.

Its possible. Definitely get a new one, though. Dunno about an Evo. Great features and screen, but horrible battery life. Get one or two spare batteries and a charger if you buy one.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
that is always my fear too but more so with the car keys. I always keep a spare hidden now.
I have caught the zipper being left open a few times on the phone but never the car keys.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The battery will almost certainly be dead. Cold weather is not kind to batteries.
I was in the same situation about two weeks ago.. Lost my phone doing a high speed run and went back up to look for it couldnt find it.. Calling it the whole nine yards.. The first thing I noticed was my phone was off (going strait to voicemail) prob from sitting in the snow.. Check guest services/whatever they call it. Some guy if he was nice enough returned it.

Hopefully and goodluck!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
that is always my fear too but more so with the car keys. I always keep a spare hidden now.
I have caught the zipper being left open a few times on the phone but never the car keys.
my pants have a hook thing in one pocket that i always attach my keys to. basically my zipper would have to open and my keys would have to unhook from this clamp and fall out of my pocket to lose them.

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts
I've lost both my phone and my camera at different times on Seymour. Both showed up at guest services. I've also found stuff and dropped it off at guest services. Granted there will always be lowlifes anywhere, I think on the mountain there's more of a feeling that we're all in the same boat.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think its about time.. sounds like you could deff use an upgrade :p Hope if it turns up it still works. I hate having to spend money because of losing something I had..

Yeah thats NO fun. A short hike up and down a mountain last summer tunred out really rotten when my friend realized he had lost his keys on the mountain....:( had to hike about 3/4 the way back to the top.. its an hour hike 1100ft gain.. but 2 hours later he found them!!! It was soo ridiculous. I was so done that day.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I keep my phone in my chest pocket that just velcro's up and haven't have a problem with it yet even after taking some odd tumbles. I use my phone to listing to music though so if the tunes every stop playing I notice fairly quick that my phones dead or it would have fallen out.

I did loose my keys earlier in the season on the hill because I left my pocket open. Took a run back through where I thought I lost them but no luck. This was about 3 hours before closing so I just said fuck it and kept riding lol. Ended up having to hitch a ride back into town to my place and waiting for my roommate to come home so she could drive me back up with my spare key. Ended up getting my truck back and went and got a new house key cut but was still pretty bummed cause i lost my command start and it was like a 15 year old brand that doesn't even exist anymore. Well about a week went by and I went into guest services to get a park pass and just asked while I was waiting I asked if any had been turned in and was amazed that someone had found them. Moral of the story is zip up your pockets and if you have one of those clip things inside them try to use it also make sure you have access to a spare key whether it be at your place if you live locally or one of those key box things you stick underneath your car some where.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
haha yeah my phones my lifeline for music too! 686 jackets usually have a zipper pocket inside with a clear plastic across it u can actually use touchscreen through... or at least all the 686 ones ive worn do. pulled some crazy tumbles with it and it's not been touched yet...wtf?

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Maybe you should have found the guy who dropped the $20 and he would have found your phone. He probably dropped the 20 when he put your phone in his pocket.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Moral of the story is zip up your pockets and if you have one of those clip things inside them try to use it also make sure you have access to a spare key whether it be at your place if you live locally or one of those key box things you stick underneath your car some where.
I am super paranoid about losing my keys/crap on the mountain. I will check my zips at the bottom of every run and at the start of a run if i have had a pocket open while on the lift. I also make sure that my car keys are on a hook in a pocket that i wont open for the day just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went back this morning with my dad's phone and tried to find it. No luck. Probably since they groom the whole hill every morning and my phone could be under 4" of snow. It was still ringing in the morning but is now dead. It's gone and now I'm debating the Incredible or Evo. I was pleased to find they are about half what I thought they were so this isn't as big of a deal as I thought. Incredible is smaller and a little cheaper but on Verizon where all the iphones will soon be. Evo is bigger but 4G, no iphone crowding, and 4 friends have one so plenty of tech support.

Maybe you should have found the guy who dropped the $20 and he would have found your phone. He probably dropped the 20 when he put your phone in his pocket.
I thought about that but how do you find the owner of cash.

·
Registered
203 Posts
One time I lost my iPod touch 4G while zipping down the mountain because my jacket pocket was open. But I found mine under some snow while sitting on the chairlift.

That day I also lost my locker keys, one of my glove, some money AND almost lost the car keys.
And now nobody trusts me with their stuff. LOL

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ended up grabbing an Evo for 109$ with contract with no activation or taxes from Walmart.com. Now I've got a new hobby to geek out on.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Couple years ago I lost my BlackBerry at Camelbak. Someone found it, called my mom and said they would leave it at the board shop. I drove back 3 hours each way the next day and they said they had no idea what I was talking about. :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts