Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like magnatraction, but would like to try a board outside of mervin.

Are there any magnatraction boards outside of mervin? I heard there might be some but I cant find any.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I really like magnatraction, but would like to try a board outside of mervin.

Are there any magnatraction boards outside of mervin? I heard there might be some but I cant find any.
Jones and Smokin' come to mind immediately. Both make rad boards, I guess Jones is having a problem with production this year.

·
Registered
216 Posts
yes, lots.

never summer's vario, arbors griptech

You are incorrect. What you mentioned has nothing to doing with "serrated" Magnetraction technology. Those are, instead, contact point technologies; they're additional contact points added to the traditional "2 contact points". Add Rome's QuickRip sidecut if you wanna talk about contact points.

If you want Magnetraction equivalents, look for Yes and Nidecker's Ultimate Grip and Ultimate Traction. Smokin licenses Magnetraction. And there's obviously Burton's Frostbite tech, which is not very pronounced IMO.

Edit: The NS Vario has to do with multiple sidecuts. In the end, these technologies are similar but are not necessarily interchangeable. Arbor GT has to do with additional contact points for faster and efficient turning and also claims extra grip; NS Vario and Rome MP claim multiple radii and also improved edge hold; whereas Magnetraction doesn't claim either radii or sidecut technology, but rather bumps on the edges for extra hold.

·
Registered
700 Posts
my gf's rossignol diva has magtrac, i'm assuming other rossis have it as well.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I feakin' love my Smokin' Buck Ferton.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would stay away from Burton as far as looking for progressive edges. I demo'd one of the boards with this earlier this year and then rode a gnu rider's choice and a never summer legacy and they both made burton's edges feel like they didn't exist. I haven't tried the other brands, but never summer does hold well in the various conditions i have ridden so far, which is on the ice coats.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Rossignol is a good option.

Underrated boards in general. The Rossi Experience and Krypto are finalists for me - and the only finalists with Magnetraction (which is a plus).

·
Registered
884 Posts
A few of the Yes snowboards have mag as well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wow, you really had to ask?
Wow, I did.

You said that one guy's alternatives to magnetraction were wrong, then brought up a bunch of alternatives to magnetraction that were "right". When, in effect, all those technologies are trying to do the same thing, enhance edge hold in unideal conditions or compensate for alternate camber tech.

Not a big deal though, seems to have been straightened out.

[edit: to endorse smokin and stay on topic]

djsaad1, I'd like to put in a good word for Smokin' really cool company that make bitchin boards.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, I did.

You said that one guy's alternatives to magnetraction were wrong, then brought up a bunch of alternatives to magnetraction that were "right". When, in effect, all those technologies are trying to do the same thing, enhance edge hold in unideal conditions or compensate for alternate camber tech.

Not a big deal though, seems to have been straightened out.

[edit: to endorse smokin and stay on topic]

djsaad1, I'd like to put in a good word for Smokin' really cool company that make bitchin boards.
What kind of Smokin do you have?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
No other edge tech seems to be nearly as good as magnetraction on ice. It's licensed to Rossignol and Smokin. There may be others, but not that I've heard of.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts