Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Magne-Traction

1344 Views 33 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  d3tro
Being someone who only goes snowboarding once a year, I do not have the ability to try out multiple boards. So far I have had two boards: GNU Carbon Credit 156 and a Lib Tech Cold Brew 158. I really like the Carbon Credit, just thought it might be time to step up to a different board so I went with the Cold Brew but did not like it as much. I sold both of my boards and am now in the market for a new one.
Seeing as I am familiar with the GNU/Lib Tech Brand is it alright just to stay in that ecosystem? All the choices of brands seems overwhelming to comb through an make a choice.
I was draw to the Magne-Traction system originally as I figured I would go in North Carolina more often, but now I only go out West once a year. Does the Magne-Traction make a difference if there is not much ice to worry about?
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Can be grabby/slow you down.
I personally don’t like the feel of magnetraction on edge.

Both your boards were rocker boards, so the magnetraction kind of made sense since grip would be pretty shit on that shape otherwise. But the trade off would be sloppy carves.

If you must get something with visual edge tech, consider Arbor/Jones boards. They have edge grip bumps that’s less extreme than Mag, while also having 3D shaping in the nose/tail for better pow/soft conditions float out west.
+ riding a board with some camber would be more fun imo.

· Registered
411 Posts
All brands make their own version of edgetech, Magnetraction is just Lib/Gnu name for it, and it is definitely the most aggressive. I ride in the northeast and deal with plenty of ice and I am not a fan of magnetraction, it's just too much. Capita, Yes, Jones, Arbor, all have similar edgetech that works well and isn't so extreme. Honestly edgetech isn't really needed and shouldn't be the selling point that it is, get a camber dominant profile and keep your edges nice and sharp and you will be good.

· Registered
1,455 Posts
You don’t need mag so much out west. If it’s a one board quiver you’re looking for I would go with hybrid RCR or S camber. As far as the specific deck is concerned, what type of riding you like will dictate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,654 Posts
I have an RCR board with mag and I like owning it because I keep it in the quiver for the truly quintessential ice coast days. If I ride it in softer conditions I really kinda regret being on it because it grabs hard and you need to fight it a bit to get the edge to disengage.

I owned the GNU SPAM which had 'mini mag' and I thought that was perfect. The edge serrations weren't nearly that aggressive and it was truly fantastic. I wish it was an option on more boards.

· Registered
3,116 Posts
Question?....., is magne-traction really that necessary on full cambered boards or is it something Cobb and Olson at LT used to mainly put into their hybrid/centre rockered boards?

I'm not a big fan at all of tuning side edges with magne-traction as they wear out the front and trailing edges of the 100mm diamond stones quicker from contacting the ridges coming out of the valleys. Maybe just need to use the stone on the side without the guide.

· Registered
571 Posts
Magnetraction is amazing at stopping - like studded winter tires vs all-seasons. If you’re not huge into big carves like myself you won’t really experience the downside to mag but if you’re into carving the magnetraction is a hindrance. If the magnetraction doesn’t bother you lib makes some good boards.

· Registered
3,654 Posts
Not all of Mervin's mag is the same either
Fact. I love the mellow mag. Some of the gnu boards have mag in the tail to give more grip in the end of a carve and reduce chances of washing out. Pretty cool idea messing with location that way. I'd like to try one!

Question?....., is magne-traction really that necessary on full cambered boards or is it something Cobb and Olson at LT used to mainly put into their hybrid/centre rockered boards?

I'm not a big fan at all of tuning side edges with magne-traction as they wear out the front and trailing edges of the 100mm diamond stones quicker from contacting the ridges coming out of the valleys. Maybe just need to use the stone on the side without the guide.

OBJ makes a small tuning tool for mag. I just use that here and there. Mag kinda reduces the need to keep the edges as sharp and my board with mag is a board I expect to get beat up on by virtue of what I use it for.

C3 boards don't really need mag either but it does help... some of the jamie lynn c3 boards don't have mag afaik. Mostly because they do what he wants to keep him happy.

· Registered
113 Posts
Fact. I love the mellow mag. Some of the gnu boards have mag in the tail to give more grip in the end of a carve and reduce chances of washing out. Pretty cool idea messing with location that way. I'd like to try one!

OBJ makes a small tuning tool for mag. I just use that here and there. Mag kinda reduces the need to keep the edges as sharp and my board with mag is a board I expect to get beat up on by virtue of what I use it for.

C3 boards don't really need mag either but it does help... some of the jamie lynn c3 boards don't have mag afaik. Mostly because they do what he wants to keep him happy.
That’s why I ride a Jamie Lynn (sometimes). It doesn’t have any mag, and the c3 seems to sit higher than the rest of the lineup and it doesn’t really have a rocker section, rather just a slight flat section… rides like full traditional camber to me and has a really good edge hold. They also have a ‘96 throwback this year. That one says it’s full traditional camber, but I think it’s a twin/directional twin and perhaps a different flex profile (maybe a slight bit softer 🤷‍♂️), no mag.
I’m not a fan of the TNT base. I don’t know why they don’t run full board length edges, but that’s just a cosmetic thing to me.
I don’t think I’d recommend this board to most people though. I think you probably need to understand the board’s characteristics before getting one, otherwise there’s a good chance you’ll hate it. I can’t speak for the ‘96 model, that one may ride differently.
I wish they made the Ejack Knife without mag and in the previous years slightly stiffer profile. However, I don’t like mag and I don’t understand why they softened it up some (have not independently verified this, but I’ve read it).
If I were you, I’d venture into the world of other brands for a camber dominant board and away from Lib (Lib seems over priced for what you get and most don’t have any base structure so that’s another expense).

· Registered
3,654 Posts
That’s why I ride a Jamie Lynn (sometimes). It doesn’t have any mag, and the c3 seems to sit higher than the rest of the lineup and it doesn’t really have a rocker section, rather just a slight flat section… rides like full traditional camber to me and has a really good edge hold. They also have a ‘96 throwback this year. That one says it’s full traditional camber, but I think it’s a twin/directional twin and perhaps a different flex profile (maybe a slight bit softer 🤷‍♂️), no mag.
I’m not a fan of the TNT base. I don’t know why they don’t run full board length edges, but that’s just a cosmetic thing to me.
I don’t think I’d recommend this board to most people though. I think you probably need to understand the board’s characteristics before getting one, otherwise there’s a good chance you’ll hate it. I can’t speak for the ‘96 model, that one may ride differently.
I wish they made the Ejack Knife without mag and in the previous years slightly stiffer profile. However, I don’t like mag and I don’t understand why they softened it up some (have not independently verified this, but I’ve read it).
If I were you, I’d venture into the world of other brands for a camber dominant board and away from Lib (Lib seems over priced for what you get and most don’t have any base structure so that’s another expense).
Ah, I think you have me confused with the OP. I have one board with mag. That's quite enough for me.

I also like to think of C3 as camber with a tiny rocker hinge point that allows you to manipulate the board a bit more than if it was pure camber. I would like to try that JL at some point though!

· Registered
113 Posts
Ah, I think you have me confused with the OP. I have one board with mag. That's quite enough for me.

I also like to think of C3 as camber with a tiny rocker hinge point that allows you to manipulate the board a bit more than if it was pure camber. I would like to try that JL at some point though!
My bad, I should’ve clarified that at first I was agreeing with you, then I was making a point to the OP.
About c3 and the hinge point: I had figured there wasn’t an actual rocker section in c3 based on the JL. After some back and forth on here about it, I checked out some more mellow c3 offerings (lib and GNU) and those did have a slight rocker in the middle that was barely something noticeable when pushing down on a flat surface. The c3 in the JL is different. It has taller camber and a flat section in the middle (which is what I recall seeing in a lot of old school cambered boards after they were broken in). Conclusion: not all c3 is created equal.

· Registered
169 Posts
I own a 2014 TRS with xc2 camber, and my Burton One Hitter and Korua Café Racer both with traditionnal camber grip more on ice than the Lib with magnatraction.

The Lib is for sale actually, don't need it anymore.

Envoyé de mon SM-G990W2 en utilisant Tapatalk

· Registered
148 Posts
(Lib seems over priced for what you get and most don’t have any base structure so that’s another expense).
Idk the cost of paulwonia… but their boards have much less Paulwonia, carbon/flax/basalt stringers or other fancy tech compared to other boards. Like... the Terrain Wrecker, $579 is 25% Paulwonia, 75% Aspen Core… no carbon/flax etc… TNT base. That would be a $420 board from any other brand. (K2 Raygun, Rome Warden etc)

What bothers me about them is their ’craftsmanship’. My ride buddy has a Golden Orca… and when setting it down at the end of the day, the board could not stand straight… noticed the nose was crooked (easy to tell via graphics). Really bothered me how a $799 board is missing these finer details. Then again… my buddy doesn’t really care about that, he just liked the graphics…..

Slope Astronomical object Rectangle Font Wood
Font Screenshot Darkness Multimedia Display device

· Registered
2,906 Posts
Idk the cost of paulwonia… but their boards have much less Paulwonia, carbon/flax/basalt stringers or other fancy tech compared to other boards. Like... the Terrain Wrecker, $579 is 25% Paulwonia, 75% Aspen Core… no carbon/flax etc… TNT base. That would be a $420 board from any other brand. (K2 Raygun, Rome Warden etc)

What bothers me about them is their ’craftsmanship’. My ride buddy has a Golden Orca… and when setting it down at the end of the day, the board could not stand straight… noticed the nose was crooked (easy to tell via graphics). Really bothered me how a $799 board is missing these finer details. Then again… my buddy doesn’t really care about that, he just liked the graphics…..

View attachment 166356 View attachment 166357
This was the customer service polite way of calling you a Karen. Yes hand ground nose and tails will always have minor variations, that's not a quality control issue, thats literally just science. And it has nothing to do with craftsmanship issues.

· Registered
113 Posts

View attachment 166356 View attachment 166357
Damn!!!!!

· Registered
495 Posts
I hardly ride my Hot Knife anymore. C3 with Magnetraction. The mag does work well on ice even on a C3 board but, I know I'm gonna get stuff for saying this, but my Proto FR with the goofy triple camber meme shape does better on ice even though it's a smaller board. In fact it just does everything better than my Hot Knife for aggressive riding. And it feels different enough from camber to have a place in my quiver.

Meanwhile, I think the mag detracts from a camber board, I ride my old school Flow Quantum more and more now. It seems less grabby but it's just more fun to throw around. It's hard to explain. But I'd prefer to ride a board with fancy edge tech in poor conditions, but old school camber in good conditions is far more fun. In fact I'm kind of yearning for an old school camber stiff true twin half pipe board, even though I don't ride pipes. Those boards are never popular though and they're only ever made for a few years before they disappear.

Mag gives more traction on board shapes that need it. When it first came out it was a really good idea to solve a problem with boards that aren't camber. That's all I really think 7 bump magnetraction is. A great solution to making a rocker board not completely useless for turning. And if you think about where those bumps are and how C1 or C2 sits on the snow it's a really genius idea to "fix" a rocker board (I really dislike them so ignore my bias)

Other manufacturers keep adding bumps, but it's usually just bumps underneath the bindings and not 7 of them on each side. I think they are realizing 7 bumps are overkill. And if you think about it, what good are bumps in the middle of the side cut on a camber board? Maybe with the C3 dipping down it helps a little, but most of the contact is in the ends, the weight is under your bindings. That's where the bumps are important.

I'm not overly impressed with Lib Tech's manufacturing either. It's way overpriced for what you get. They do make pretty fun boards and their engineering is great but some of the choices they make really leave me disappointed. I just think they need something new tech wise to step their game up. I feel like they're charging for their engineering but they haven't had a major tech revolution like magentraction on a rocker in a long time (unless I'm missing something). I did have a problem with my Lib Tech and they were going to resolve it in a great way, but I more or less just dropped it and said I'd take care of it. So they are a good company, but I'd really like to see them come up with something new and maybe lower their expectations for what they charge. My Hot Knife was like a $500+ board with an extruded base...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts