Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just bought my first board! did my research and figured a 156 would be the ideal size for me. I really liked the Forum Kitchen sink (2013) which comes in 154.5 or 157.5 so I decided to go up to the 157.5 and was happy with that decision, until I saw the manufacturer recommended weight is 150-210+.

I am: 26, intermediate rider. all-mountain/freestyle (but prefer pow to jibs)
Weight: 150
Height: 5 10 / 5 11
Boot:10 (9 equivalent thanks to small footprint)

As Forum is no longer around this info wasn't available when i bought it (online). Im now wondering if i should have gone for the 154.5 instead? I figure the manufactures recommended weight should be followed more than generic guidelines as it is a recommendation for that specific board.
The recommended weight for the 154.4 is 140-200, which sounds more suited to me.

One last thing, I'm just starting at the gym and aim to get to 160-165, but I've always been 150 almost exactly so we'll see...

So does anyone have any thoughts on manufacturers recommended weight? Should I downsize?

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
For your first board, yes, not a bad idea to go down to the 154.5... That said, if you're particularly athletic, the 157.5 isn't going to kill you. It will be better for off-piste vs the shorter board...

How much have you gone on rentals? What length were they?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks poutanen

I think my first board was a 151, only had that for 3 days. Then Ive been on a 158, but cant really say how well it suited me because I dont know any different. It seemed ok. Unfotrunately, I havent had the chance to try out different boards or lengths. I think that length (158) was picked for me based in my height, not weight and I'm lightweight.

I think i would be happy with the better off-piste/speed/stability of a longer board, even if it doesnt perform quite as well in the park. But because i am right on the end of the weight range for this board I'm worried that it will be a bit too much, and no good for freestyle. If i follow the maunufactures reccomendation i should be on the 154.5, and I'll still be on the lower end of the scale. So I might still get good off-piste performance on that board?

I guess my question is, should i just throw out what i think i know about snowbaord lengths and just follow the manufacturers guidelines?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Manufacturers guidelines are usually a lot more reliable than a generic calculator. Except Libtech guidelines, they don't even make sense. The probably with the generic ones is that they don't account for all the variations that affect how a board rides. But they're a good baseline.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you want stability at speed, harder carves, better float in pow then go longer. If you want more forgiving, quicker edge to edge then go short.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts