Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with speed apps on their phone, how fast have you been?

I hit 45 going down a black today. I was determined to hit 50+ but my friend talked me out of it because i was going down alone

·
Registered
378 Posts
Over 50 mph GPS, looking at the display. I would guess over 60 mph not looking at the screen when I could pay attention to not being a Bono

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
63mph is as fast I've clocked myself. Anything up to about 40 or so just feels like cruising. Over 45 and you realize you're going pretty darn fast. Over 50 and you're hauling ass. Over 60 and you're starting to question your sanity.

·
Registered
366 Posts
To be honest, while it felt very fast, I was also suspicious the first time. I did check it against my car and it was accurate.

I thought about a glitch in the phone's reading, but I did again 2 weeks ago in very fast conditions...

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
To be honest, while it felt very fast, I was also suspicious the first time. I did check it against my car and it was accurate.

I thought about a glitch in the phone's reading, but I did again 2 weeks ago in very fast conditions...

I just checked. They hit 130km/h. But congrats on that type of speed. Crazy!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just checked. They hit 130km/h. But congrats on that type of speed. Crazy!
Thanks, but I still have some doubts about it. That's why the app (AlpineReplay) provide the sustained speed. They say themself that the top speed is not that reliable...

·
Registered
756 Posts
71.4 MPH so far this season according to ski tracks app, however accurate it is.
My buddies got in the high 60's so I think it's pretty close.

Racing on a fast day down starfire or little go devil at key, can't remember which run. It was early in the A.M. during a weekday.

·
Registered
397 Posts
According to Ski Tracks my fastest this year so far is 94.7km/hr (just under 60mph for the non-Canadians)

I think Ski Tracks is somewhat accurate, but takes readings based on 100meters so you need to be going fast for a sustained amount of time. The other day I set my Contour+ GPS to record data at 4 times a second, according to Ski Tracks I hit 65km/hr top speed on a run and when I later viewed the video of the run with the Contour GPS playback I actually hit 78km/hr, but I hit top speed and then threw the brakes on to cut into the park gates. I think the Ski Tracks if anything is giving you a slower reading then you might actually hit sometimes unless you are at a sustained speed.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hit a new record of 41mph tonight. Considering the conditions at my local hill and that I'm 185lbs riding a 155 park board that is about as far as I want to take it. I do want to pick up a board specifically for going fast though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those who are hitting 50+ are your staces wide? Are you guys ducking down lower than usual when hitting those speeds?

Im actually awaiting delivery of my new goggles... Zeal Z3 gps... Should be interesting to see my speed at real time

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
I'm 5'11" and my stance is about 23". +15 in the front and -12 in the rear. I've been up to 58mph on a 158 NS Evo. My fastest clocked speed was on an older cambered NS Heritage.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Fastest clocked according to Contour was 57 but I'm usually in the 50+ range any day I take out the Misfit. I've tried breaking 60 but I think my clothes are too big. I'm like a wind screen.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
The phone apps are not accurate. I used to use the apps and had some crazy speed numbers, finally switched to a GPS watch and my top speeds seem way more realistic now. At my closest hill I'm usually peaking in the low-mid 80 km/h range (low 50 MPH range), and that's flying. Unless you've got a radar gun on you the data is likely not that accurate from any GPS device, as it's taking readings every few seconds and then calculating you speed from that.

I wouldn't worry about your top speed ultimately the biggest factor in how fast your top speed is going to be is who has a long, steep, very well groomed run at their resort. It doesn't take much skill to bomb!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
59 on Ski Tracks. With good conditions I am usually somewhere between 46-54. Lower 40s when taking it a bit easier. Not sure I really need to go much faster.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My fastest so far this season is 52mph. However, I yardsaled it sometime last season and looked at the ski tracks app afterward and it said my top speed was 534mph. Take that! :dizzy:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts