Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Stay Strapped
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meteor Shower and Total Lunar Eclipse to Wow Skywatchers This Month - Yahoo!

What you need to know:

Meteor Shower
In the early evening of Dec. 13, the radiant is low in the northeast. By 1 a.m. EST, after the date has changed to Dec. 14, the radiant is almost directly overhead. By 6.a.m. EST, when the shower is at its peak in the Eastern Time Zone, the radiant is low in the west.

Lunar Eclipse
For the Western Hemisphere, the eclipse will "officially" begin on Dec. 21 at 12:29 a.m. EST (9:29 p.m. PST on Dec. 20) as the moon begins to enter Earth's outer, or penumbral, shadow.*
As for the Geminid meteor shower, don't forget to dress warm. But you won't be outside all night moongazing. This total lunar eclipse lasts only 72 minutes from start to finish.
But even in clear weather, skywatchers will not notice any changes in the moon's appearance until about 45 minutes into the event, when a slight "smudge," or shading, begins to become evident on the upper left portion of the moon's disk. *

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
Thanks for the thread, man! I'd honestly forgot! I'll probably drive up toward Mt. Evans to get a nice view. Anyone in the CO front range that wants to join, feel free to him me up. I'll provide the "entertainment". Standing offer.

·
Stay Strapped
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope you guys catch it... It's snowing here tonight so Its not looking great in terms of clear skies... On the one hand I'm glad because Monday is the first day riding for me and we're getting 20cm, on the other hand I missed the showers last time I went camping and it was quite disappointing.

Wish I could take you up on your offer linvillegorge

·
Registered
167 Posts
No chance to see the Geminids this year here in CNY - we've got consistent cloud cover predicted throughout the week. The Perseids rocked though - we had a clear summer night for them this year. My GF is an Earth Science teacher, so the eclipse warrants a bottle of champagne if the night is clear. :)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Couldn't see a single thing through the cloud cover. :(

Plus, the wind chill was in the negative teens so it wasn't a great night for plopping down on a lawn chair and staring at the sky...

·
Stay Strapped
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a reminder its supposed to start in 40min. We got clear skies over here, so I'll chill out in the yard for a bit. Quite rare apparently as the last winter solstice total lunar eclipse was 372 years ago

1 - 12 of 12 Posts