Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alot of companies now are offering micro or mini discs with their bindings. There is very little info as to actual benefits of a regular disc vs a micro disc. Can anyone speak to a noticeable difference between the two? I find it hard to imagine how the size of the disc has any major impact over riding

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
When I was in the board shop buying new bindings I noticed the discs on my new bindings were a lot larger than my old ones. I mentioned this to the board shop owner that was mounting them and he said it was good to have a larger disc because the larger disc allows for more response since it has more surface area bound directly to the board and that's what is anchored to the board w/ the screws.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am really not a fan of mini-discs. They cause more stress on inserts and I have seen board damage from them. I don't see any significant advantage to them.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I have Contact bindings on one of my boards. I was concerned about the smaller footprint/surface area, but my searches and discussion with shop staff didn't bring up any overwhelming reason to believe that they would damage my board if installed properly. I decided to give them a go. They've been fine so far.

·
Registered
383 Posts
They are great they allow the board to flex more like it should. All my bindings are mini I like them and I have never heard of inserts ripping out because of mini disks. I also I don't believe the response is any better with standard vs mini nitro has them on all there stiff bindings union is putting more bindings on mini disk.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
When I was in the board shop buying new bindings I noticed the discs on my new bindings were a lot larger than my old ones. I mentioned this to the board shop owner that was mounting them and he said it was good to have a larger disc because the larger disc allows for more response since it has more surface area bound directly to the board and that's what is anchored to the board w/ the screws.
That explanation is so obviously wrong. This guy is seriously clueless and should not be giving advice.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
That explanation is so obviously wrong. This guy is seriously clueless and should not be giving advice.
Yea, I don't know if he was full of it or not. Dude did own the shop, boarded w/ T. Rice and had a wall full of medals. He could be wrong. But it kinda makes sense. Similar to what parkerross said. A larger disc will cover more surface of the board. Allowing less flex. More response. A smaller disc covers less board and allows more flex. More playful.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yea, I don't know if he was full of it or not. Dude did own the shop, boarded w/ T. Rice and had a wall full of medals. He could be wrong. But it kinda makes sense. Similar to what parkerross said. A larger disc will cover more surface of the board. Allowing less flex. More response. A smaller disc covers less board and allows more flex. More playful.
Nonsense. A larger disk actually means more flex in the binding and less flex in the board, both of which reduce response. Fairly simple physics.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Minimal difference. Mostly marketing.

If you rode one, then rode the other and didn't know which was which, you'd probably have a 50/50 chance of identifying one from the other.
Mostly agree with. The difference is very small and a similar effect can achieved in other ways (reflex or hinged disks etc).

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
They can be worth it with the right binding, if it matters to you. If you're into jumping and jibbing. Some like stiff and restrictive bindings too, but they usually don't stress them out as much. Not talking about the highback.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
mini discs ONLY work on 2x4 hole patterns.
They will not work on 4x4 hole patterns

So if you have any older boards with 4x4 (which I have a tonne of)
You are shit out of luck.

I think the mini discs are stupid, that's just my opinion.

TT

·
Registered
25 Posts
mini discs ONLY work on 2x4 hole patterns.
They will not work on 4x4 hole patterns

So if you have any older boards with 4x4 (which I have a tonne of)
You are shit out of luck.

I think the mini discs are stupid, that's just my opinion.

TT
I have some brand new ride capos on a brand new heritage and I took them off as I needed some edge work done, turns out the damn Inserts that the bindings bolt into have been pulled slightly up and the whole core and top sheet is slightly risen around and in between the bolt holes.

It was pointed out to me that this is more than likely due to the dumb micro disc design that ride uses and the fact that the bolts are just not supposed to go right next to each other. I am hoping that this is just cosmetic but it definitely is making me a bit leery of using those holes again (which sucks as I am a big guy and like a wide-as-possible stance) and at this point I almost want to go get some other bindings. Is there any way to use a normal bolt spacing with these dumb micro disc setups? It almost looks like I could get it to work by just using the micro disks and putting the bolts all the way in the corners but I need to get my board back first to try it. God this mini or micro disc thing is dumb.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I kinda think this whole thread is useless and mini vs normal disc just means adjustability, all the rest is up to how the binding is designed. If you can't get your stance right with 4x4, try 2x4 and the other way around.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
I have some brand new ride capos on a brand new heritage and I took them off as I needed some edge work done, turns out the damn Inserts that the bindings bolt into have been pulled slightly up and the whole core and top sheet is slightly risen around and in between the bolt holes.

It was pointed out to me that this is more than likely due to the dumb micro disc design that ride uses and the fact that the bolts are just not supposed to go right next to each other. I am hoping that this is just cosmetic but it definitely is making me a bit leery of using those holes again (which sucks as I am a big guy and like a wide-as-possible stance) and at this point I almost want to go get some other bindings. Is there any way to use a normal bolt spacing with these dumb micro disc setups? It almost looks like I could get it to work by just using the micro disks and putting the bolts all the way in the corners but I need to get my board back first to try it. God this mini or micro disc thing is dumb.
Cut that little metal strip.
I had to to fit my capos on an old Hooger Booger Blaster 159

Just cut them so they are circles

TT

·
Registered
25 Posts

Cut that little metal strip.
I had to to fit my capos on an old Hooger Booger Blaster 159

Just cut them so they are circles

TT
Sick. Gonna do this as soon as I get the board back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, I've been thinking about this. I think you are right in that larger disc give a stiffer interface and quicker reactions and the minidiscs allow more play for floaty " surfy" feel like you said phillphan. Guys at a board shop may say there is deadspace under a larger disc meaning less motion at the board/binding interface. I wonder if the more play is why Union seems to be having troubles with minidisc bindings loosening with use. Happened to me after about 5 runs. Weird.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guys, basic question. Also I think basic physics. It seems all high end bindings now are minidisc. I pretty much only like Bent Metals, Union or Amplid bindings and I like them stiff cause I am a big guy (100 kilos), not fat just big. I had the Union Falcors with the mini disc but noticed they kept loosening so I gradually began to tighten them more. I butter a lot and when in Utah for 5 weeks this past winter, I noticed the inserts on my Lib Twin Rocket were starting to pull and were raised slightly above the topsheet. I think I got to it in time and shaved it down but I immediately went and got the Union Force Forged (NOT minidisc but a great, super stiff binding) because I think for someone my size that's a lot of force spread over a smaller area and whether it's the bolts loosening or the inserts pulling (a bit of chicken and egg here) it's due to the mini disc. I can imagine a big guy buttering a lot on that small disc is tough on the inserts. So back to the question, anyone else having insert damage from the mini disc's? I saw one guy above but wanted more views before putting the Falcors back on one of my other boards. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts