Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The disc is somewhat irrelevant when the frame is wrong, mainly the heelcup nowadays. That is what's creating the <insert whatever> effect. The board and screws jump up and down and twist, while the heelcup stays put. Now you could say that a bigger disc makes a smaller lever, but there are solutions for that aswell, and big discs had the same issues on older bindings. That Union put foam in between the screws and inserts doesn't make it a whole lot better, on some bindings you gotta struggle to get the disc to touch the topsheet. A rigid binding can work just as well as a flexible bindings, but can't be made the same way. Deadspots are overrated, but fucking uneven density footbeds are painful.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Not all meant as a rant towards Union though, as they are one of the driving forces behind evolution, but sometimes they get things wrong.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The mini disc/normal disc is the least important factor for me when I get some new bindings. I have the Falcors and I haven’t noticed any damage to the inserts. If you have a proper screwdriver (a Phillips one) there’s no problem with tightening them properly once in 2-3 days.
If I think about the downsides of the Falcors the main one is the lack of (or a very clunky) highback rotation. No issues with the hardware or insert damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I strongly recommend NOT BUYING bindings with a minidisc ! Let me tell you about my experience with union strata bindings.
Don't get me wrong, i love these bindings - they are excelent for buttering, but that may also be the reason to the problem.
Guess the surface is too small to handle that much stress on the baseplate.

Union claims a lifetime warranty on the baseplate, a service i needed to rely on twice in a 2 years after purchase.
1st time was after 1 year riding, the minidisc broke through the left baseplate, made me crash, luckily without any injuries.
Got in contact with the shop, who contacted union for replacement baseplates - this took 2 months and meanwhile i had to buy new bindings to keep riding.
2nd time was 1 year later, again same story - this time, it took 5 months (yes 5 months !) until they send me replacement baseplates.
In both cases, one minidisc broke through the baseplate and after inspecting the other baseplate, there was clearly a crack in it.

I will try to upload some pics ... anyway my advise is to stay away from minidisc, especially when you'r into buttering.
Also union support sucks big time - five f**cking months !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys, basic question. Also I think basic physics. It seems all high end bindings now are minidisc. I pretty much only like Bent Metals, Union or Amplid bindings and I like them stiff cause I am a big guy (100 kilos), not fat just big. I had the Union Falcors with the mini disc but noticed they kept loosening so I gradually began to tighten them more. I butter a lot and when in Utah for 5 weeks this past winter, I noticed the inserts on my Lib Twin Rocket were starting to pull and were raised slightly above the topsheet. I think I got to it in time and shaved it down but I immediately went and got the Union Force Forged (NOT minidisc but a great, super stiff binding) because I think for someone my size that's a lot of force spread over a smaller area and whether it's the bolts loosening or the inserts pulling (a bit of chicken and egg here) it's due to the mini disc. I can imagine a big guy buttering a lot on that small disc is tough on the inserts. So back to the question, anyone else having insert damage from the mini disc's? I saw one guy above but wanted more views before putting the Falcors back on one of my other boards. Thanks.
I avoid minidisc at all cost because have seen so many people pulling the insert out from the board. yeah, simple physics: lever principle. A bigger disc will give you a more lock-in feel and response as long as your binding baseplate is stiffer than ur board.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I think minidisc is mostly marketing BS. Extra funny when Union puts mini discs on ultra stiff huge base plates as if that's going to matter at all.

Given the same screw pattern, I doubt anyone can tell much difference between a full disc and a mini disc. Once they're mounted they essentially become part of the baseplate. I don't buy that full size discs are somehow stiffer than the baseplate they're connected to. Maybe if they were made of aluminum like the Spark R&D pucks you could feel that - but usually it's easier to bend plastic mounting discs than it is to bend baseplates. I have a few U shaped full sized discs that no longer sit flush with the baseplate that tell that story. If anything, full sized discs flex more than mini discs because you get more leverage on them at the thinner edges.

2x4 vs. 4x4 mounting though - there's definitely a difference. The most obvious is 2x4 gives you that extra leverage to break baseplates. If baseplates are breaking then they obviously aren't bending with the board, so I can't see how that's an advantage in any way.

Re:flex bindings are the only tech I've used that actually flexes laterally with the board enough to make a difference, and those are full size 4x4 only. Much better for flex than making the mounting disc smaller, but you do sacrifice some heel/toe response to get that, and again, the rest of the base plate still has to flex with the board too.

With Rome mini-discs you can use a 4x4 mounting pattern, so I just do that now and don't notice a difference. I've also just given up getting an exact stance width - 22" vs 22.5" is just not that big a deal. Forward lean, stance angle, highback canting and rotation, strap tightness and position, all make a much bigger difference than mounting disc size and pattern as far as how a binding rides.

If you can't butter or jib on a park board it's your technique - not the size of the mounting disc.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The discs that work on 2x2, 4x4, 3d and channel are so nice, at least when you have adjustable heelcups, but need to be able to adjust ankle strap independently. Baseplates breaking is just an issue they need to fix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don`t like the minidisks, because they suck out the inserts (not sure if this is the right word, however, I`ve seen this on Gnu carbon credit and Lib skate banana). Consider this - a lot of boards have carbon stringers in the binding area making the board more responsive. Not just freeride boards, but also all-mountain and freestyle boards. And with the mini disc, you can twist your binging more, that`s not logical. If you are a jibber, then ok, but in any other situation, a mini disc is a bad thing - especially for your inserts.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts