Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fairly new snowboarder (age 40 and suck at it lol) and have no interest in the park or always ripping down the mountain (body is already shot from yrs. of motocross) I enjoy cruising/surfing the mountains with my kids. I bought a skate banana to ride our home Mt. in CT. that is 900 vert. ft. What I am finding is, that I am spending more time in VT. at bigger slopes and the banana is really loose on the long flats of the green trails my kids ride. I tried to learn snowboarding by buying a Burton Custom X and that sucked!! So after many sore days/weeks I sold it and bought a skate banana and was able to learn. Now I would like to get something a little more stable without being too edge catchy. Thinking maybe a Lib Attack Banana or TRS. I like the magna-traction and am really impressed with the banana on how well it rides with edge hold. Im 5'11" 200lbs. size 11 boot and ride a 159w banana. What do you guys think...Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
are you talking about just flat basing? your post is somewhat confusing as you want more stability, less edge catchy, but like how the SB rides and its edge hold...

what exactly are you looking to ride it on, and what exactly are your issues with it?

i'm not sure any board is going to be "good" for riding flat stuff and going slow... maybe get some skis for those days?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry for the confusion..the banana seems to do really good on the steeper stuff at my speed. But on the less pitch/flat long areas and slow speeds it wants to spin and is real loose. Due to the rocker I feel. I don't ride switch much so a more directional board could work too. Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
So the Attack Banana might be what I am looking for??..a little stiffer and has camber
Anything with a rocker between the bindings are going to feel "loose" on the flats. I would check out a board that has camber between the bindings and rocker at tips. That profile will give you more solid feel on the flats yet help you with edge catch.

Check out boards by Rossignol, Jones, Yes.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like you want someone to tell you the attack banana is the board you want.

It's not a camber board. It's a lot closer to the skate banana than a camber board actually.

You went from one end of the scale to the other, and don't really like either. However, the custom x you had as a complete beginner, may be you like it now. May be you still hate it. But you know that the sb is too loose on flats.

Wanna know a secret? Long flat greens SUCK on a snowboard. As I'm sure you are experiencing, it's hard to find the fall line. It's hard to keep the board pointed where you want, because it tends to drift around. If you get on an edge, it stops. If you stay flat and drift the wrong way, it wants to catch an edge and flip you like a pancake. If your on a banana, it's slippery. If your on a custom x, it's going to flip you like a pancake.

What you will find is that once you gain experience, flats will become more comfortable and less scary. Until then, no matter the board, it's going to have some bad habits on flats that will sneak up on you and hurt.

So back to the first line. If you want an attack banana, then get one. It's not going to make you love the flats.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
A friend of mine just got the attack banana. It will be interesting to see how he likes it. He got it to replace a 5 or 6 year old pretty stiff ride board. What is interesting is he went into the store to get a park board and got the attack banana, which most people are saying, and he knows is an all mountain board. I personally think he should have gotten a dedicated park board and kept his old ride for when he just wanted to carve. But he wanted one board to do everything.

I personally have not found one board to do everything well. I have a 2010 ride dh which i love and carves awesome and jumps pretty well. But too stiff to press out. So I got a 2012 garage rocker and love that for park. Only problem with that one is that it takes more time (distance) to slow down after landing jumps. Which would be fine, but at minnesota buck hill there is not all that much room before you run into other people and features.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Sounds like you want someone to tell you the attack banana is the board you want.

It's not a camber board. It's a lot closer to the skate banana than a camber board actually.

You went from one end of the scale to the other, and don't really like either. However, the custom x you had as a complete beginner, may be you like it now. May be you still hate it. But you know that the sb is too loose on flats.

Wanna know a secret? Long flat greens SUCK on a snowboard. As I'm sure you are experiencing, it's hard to find the fall line. It's hard to keep the board pointed where you want, because it tends to drift around. If you get on an edge, it stops. If you stay flat and drift the wrong way, it wants to catch an edge and flip you like a pancake. If your on a banana, it's slippery. If your on a custom x, it's going to flip you like a pancake.

What you will find is that once you gain experience, flats will become more comfortable and less scary. Until then, no matter the board, it's going to have some bad habits on flats that will sneak up on you and hurt.

So back to the first line. If you want an attack banana, then get one. It's not going to make you love the flats.
Q
F
Fucking
T

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Might want to get this fixed if you get a new board too. Size 11 boots are too generally too small to be riding a wide board.
Totally agreed. Get off the wide board. That will make edge transitions much easier. Anything that isn't pure rocker will be more stable in the flats. Attack Banana, TRS, either would work. Other companies that offer magnatraction are Niche, Smokin, Rossi and GNU off the top of my head.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the help. I do a lot of reading up on boards and follow the tech. Just in CT. there is really no mountains that have shops that offer demos, so its pretty hard to choose other than going on recommendations. And we all know you can go to 7 different shops and get 7 different "this is the board for you" speeches lol. Thanks again :thumbsup:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Attack banana won't have enough camber to make much of a difference on the flats compared to the skate banana, at the very least you should go riders choice or trs. They will still be squirly on the flats, but a little better than the skate banana or attack banana.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts