Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions from people who ride in Europe or someone who has been to some wicked spots. I will be moving to Spain in January, but can take at least 1 month to ride anywhere in Europe. So, here is my question:

Considering both resort and split boarding options, where could be the best spot to be in Europe to have powder conditions, tree riding options, and somehow not so damn many people?

·
Premium Member
7,626 Posts
I would pick the Arlberg region of Austria. The prices are fair, the riding is great and the access to other areas in the Alps is pretty good. From my understanding from many Europeans I have ridden with through the years, tree riding is not really a viable day to day option there like it is in the US.

If you want to stay close to Spain just go to Andorra.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I visited Andorra this summer and that's an option that I am considering. Also really thinking about Austria, so I'll make sure to research the Arlberg area a bit.

Does anyone else have some suggestions to throw my way?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Andorra is certainly cheap but i didnt think the terrain was that great. Not now i've spent the last 3 winters in BC.

Hintertux is supposed to be good. Kaprun too.

I would recommend Morzine/Avoriaz for the park and sheer size of the area. Cervinia in Italy is supposed to be very good but i havent been myself.

The biggest downside imo of France/Switzerland though is the fact that no one can seem to queue properly resulting in your gear getting well and truly trashed in the lift lines. The lifties dont give a fuck and just want to stand around doing as little as possible. Compare this to the US/Canada where in my experience they actually appreciate the fact they have a job and want to do it well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm used to spending winters in BC and, so yeah, I'm looking for the most similar thing that I can find to here, but in Europe. I will be bringing my split along and don't mind walking to get the good stuff.

I was in Granada (Spain) in summer and it was 35 degrees in the city, but still snow on the top of Sierra Nevada. I'll probably check it out this winter, but don't wanna spend the season there. I've been told that they've had their first snow fall already actually.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
It depends when you're planning on going? PDS, where Morzine and Avoriaz are is a fantastic resort but not particularly high. If us Brits or the Paris area of France is on school holidays the place is a shit show. Forget it if the holidays clash. The Swiss side of PDS is generally quieter during these times but the lifts are older/slower. There is plenty of tree riding around the lower villages (everywhere except Avoriaz) but they can be pretty tight.

European school holidays:

uploadfromtaptalk1444034702316.jpg

Chamonix is pretty close by and somewhere you should consider at least visiting. Packed full of powder hungry gnarldudes though.

I know France & western Switzerland best as we like to drive down from the UK. If I was going to spend a month in one place I think Les Duex Alpes, would be top of the list. It looks like a great resort and right next to La Grave. Look La Grave up, its basically a freeride mountain with a single lift and a whole mountain to explore. Seriously serious terrain but apparently magical on the right day. Plenty of splitting opportunities in the area also. Bear in mind that out of bounds ridding can be very dangerous in the Alps. No avi control or patrols in areas that don't directly affect the pisted runs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts