Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
ok so i'm wearing the boots right now...what is a good way to know for sure that i'm not buying boots that will kill me? i will say that at the moment the right boot feels more snug than i'm used but doesnt really hurt. the left one is not really feeling so good. maybe i didnt measure the left foot properly. UPDATE: i never cancelled the 8.5 Wide Photon order and trying those on now too. Left foot feels better but still pretty snug. open to suggestions and guidance!
Hi,

Have you had your heat fit done?

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
no I haven’t...can I do that and still return them if they don’t fit right? What are proper steps for heat molding?
This is your size. You need to have your heat fit done. That will not affect return but you do not need to return. What you have described is correct.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Tried remeasuring and i think i might be closer to 26.7cm length and 9.1cm width....where would that put me? size 9 normal width?

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
Tried remeasuring and i think i might be closer to 26.7cm length and 9.1cm width....where would that put me? size 9 normal width?
You will want to post up your 4 barefoot measurement images (2 length and 2 width) showing your whole foot in each, the wall and your ruler.

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
pics of feet added!

based off what i can see it looks like:

26.5 X 9 for my left foot

26.3ish X 9.4 for my right.

seem right to you?
Yes, that does look correct. That changes things a lot. 26.5 cm is Mondo 265 or size 8.5 US in snowboard boots. 9.4 mm is a standard D width.

STOKED!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks man! I’ll try some this weekend. No matter what I’m determined to downsize from the size 10s I had before.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just wanted to provide an update on my progress went to a professional boot fitter today brought the 9 1/2 size photons with me that felt like they were the best fit after trying every possible size. He confirmed that going down even half a size more would have my feet extending beyond the footbed. He also confirmed I was a 265 mondo but the photons weren’t designed exactly to Mondo scale. Which I could clearly see by the footbed. So ultimately we determined the boots were a good match but a custom footbed would make sense since I have high arches that heat molding the button beds wouldn’t solve. End of story. ??

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
Just wanted to provide an update on my progress went to a professional boot fitter today brought the 9 1/2 size photons with me that felt like they were the best fit after trying every possible size. He confirmed that going down even half a size more would have my feet extending beyond the footbed. He also confirmed I was a 265 mondo but the photons weren’t designed exactly to Mondo scale. Which I could clearly see by the footbed. So ultimately we determined the boots were a good match but a custom footbed would make sense since I have high arches that heat molding the button beds wouldn’t solve. End of story. ??
Hi JKB,

Sadly, you have been given some bad advice on all of those issues. Your feet will and should always extend past the insert (footbed). That is how all snowboard boots are designed. In a correctly fit snowboard boot your foot will overhang the insert (footbed) by ~ 1cm. That is what allows your foot to pressure into the compliant materials of the liner. If that is not the case the boot is too large. The Photons and all Burton snowboard boots (all snowboard and ski boots) are designed to the Mondopoint standard. You can confirm this by visiting the Burton site and viewing their size chart.

STOKED!

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
Now my brain is twisted like a pretzel! ?
Hah! You are actually a very easy fit. You are an 8.5 in snowboard boots at a normal width. All brands produce that. I know that it is an adjustment for you but I am being firm because I know that the sooner you accept this the happier you will be.

STOKED!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
You are of the opinion that first thing you should do is get the heat moulding done not let boots and naturally mould from riding?

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
You are of the opinion that first thing you should do is get the heat moulding done not let boots and naturally mould from riding?
The two processes are entirely different. Riding will only break in a boot. It will never mold it. Heat molding should be done immediately.

STOKED!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
@Wiredsport Ok cool...last question I think. More board related...but you clearly know your stuff. I’m 140-145lbs and torn between the 147 and 150 size lib tech orca. What would you recommend based off my boot size and weight? Their sizing chart is kind of useless. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
@Wiredsport just wanna say thanks for guidance on the boots. Couldn’t get myself to go all the way to a 8.5 but did buy 9s instead of the 10s I started with. After two days of riding I can tell these are going to be money. Maybe next time I buy boots I’ll go all the way with the 8.5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi wiredsport,

you seem to be the premier expert in these forums so hoping you can help me. My flexibility isn’t what it used to be so I picked up a pair of burton step on bindings with photons last year. Had only one 3 day trip and for the whole trip after I had been on mountain for just short time my pinky toes started to really hurt (I ride regular and left foot was worse than right). I want to love this setup but can’t get over the pain. I have an orthodic in the shoes riding a size 10 regular width. I did the mondo measurements and came up with 26.9 and 10cm for left foot, 27.3 and 9.9 right foot. My stance is +21 and -12. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi wiredsport,

you seem to be the premier expert in these forums so hoping you can help me. My flexibility isn’t what it used to be so I picked up a pair of burton step on bindings with photons last year. Had only one 3 day trip and for the whole trip after I had been on mountain for just short time my pinky toes started to really hurt (I ride regular and left foot was worse than right). I want to love this setup but can’t get over the pain. I have an orthodic in the shoes riding a size 10 regular width. I did the mondo measurements and came up with 26.9 and 10cm for left foot, 27.3 and 9.9 right foot. My stance is +21 and -12. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This little toe hot spot is a known problem with step ons. What size are you currently in? Have you heat molded the boots yet? Check out this thread for a possible solution.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts