Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at doing a month long snow trip in Canada. Probably taking 4 to 5 people. Its really just an adventure. We fly in to Vancouver, Rent a car and just drive one resort to the next. Spending a few days at each until we get board with the runs.
So far were looking at doing - Big White, Silverstar, Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Kicking Horse, Revelstock, Sun Peaks, Whistler.

Did I miss any good ones you guys would recommend??

My main question is what time of year to go. I was thinking of going the start of Jan. So we could have new years in Vancouver. But I've done a quick look around and see that it might be better to head over in Feb.
What are your thoughts..

Thanks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You did miss something. The part where you invite me and pay for it. :p

A month long? Thats gonna be so fucking awesome - I hate you. :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I would go with Feb. Thats a pretty good list you have going. Off the top of my head I would add Fernie and Red mountain. There will be a lot of driving but you can do that on your recovery days.

·
Registered
500 Posts
nice dude. I would reccommend flying into calgary and going from there though. Unless you absolutely must go to whistler. which is understandable. but personally I'd go to calgary and straight to interior BC. The Nelson, BC area is home to some of the sickest powder and most extreme terrain in the world. you might want to look into some backcountry lodges and cat skiing operations and heli too.

here's a website that I have been to many times.

Powderhighway: main.

check it out. tons of great info on there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha thanks guys.

A few guys have said Fernie is worth going to. So might have to throw that one on the list.

Thanks for the Powder Highway Site. Its a sick site. Worth checking it out.

Is the snow that different in Jan to Feb though? I guess what i'm trying to ask is there still going to be heaps of snow in Jan rather then Feb??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm based in Vancouver and gotta agree with the previous recommendations of Fernie, Red and the Powder Highway route around Nelson. All the BC resorts you mention are sick, but maybe I'm biased ;)

Just one thing to bear in mind about Feb vs. Jan: prices are higher during February and there are various US/Canadian holidays during that month. You'll likely find better deals in January, fewer crowds and generally better snow.

You should check out these guys when planning your trip... Powder Rangers 2010-2011 | Tailor-made ski snowboard holidays Canada | Custom ski vacations Canada

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Quebec? Really? I have heard that Canada's eastern mountains have the same icy snow that the USA's east coast mountains do. Is that not true?

·
Registered
194 Posts
mountwashington is a nice little mountain, tons of snow aswell!
if you wanna take the long expensive ferry ride :/
but i been to silver star last year, and my god it was amazing best snow by far.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Not trying to thread-jack but very curious about what you and your fellow riders do for a living that allows you to take a month off in winter. Trying to get a gig like that and not too sure where to start looking.

Thx.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would drive from calgary and hit everything on the way to vancouver...hit whistler, then go down to the states and hit up stevens pass, & baker.

i would go from mid jan to mid feb...you miss both the xmas/new year hoildays and then the canada uni/college reading week the 3rd week of feb. just hope its not like last year...no snow for 2 months.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
February will be better just about anywhere.

My only suggestion is not to make reservations anywhere and instead just follow the storms, this might take you beyond the handful of places you want to hit, like you could end up down in Montana or Idaho or Wyoming or Colorado etc. If you've got a month off, there's no reason to pin yourself down to reservations, cancellation fees, etc. Just wing it, stay in whatever hotel/motel/holiday inn has rooms left, and move when the snow moves.

I'd love to do something like that one day.

·
Registered
500 Posts
i's easy to do something like that. just drop everything and can (if you can). I'm young, single, and ready to travel. I can go anywhere and do anything. If work won't let me take time off, Ill fucking quit. I don't care. Snowboarding is life!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Definitely hit up Fernie our season has been off to a great start with around 9 feet of snow in November and its only getting better. If you decided to come down here hit me up and ill show you whats good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ --Bigtime-- - mate were all aussies. My partner and I are both Paramedics and we also might have another paramedic coming with us. One is a travel consultant and the other one works in the Mines. I guess it just comes down to your work. Being a Paramedic over here I get 9 weeks off a year. Plus I usually work 4 days then have 4 off. So I really only work half the year. I'd probably just start finding work that was easy on you taking a month off with out pay or with really good holidays. Then the next part is just saving your ass off. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ David_z - Yeah Mate. What you said, is the plan. No bookings, no reservations. We really just want to follow the snow. I have done a rough trip guide. Just to give people some idea of what we would like to do. But if the snow is still falling and the runs are sweet. We'll just stay there a few extra days. :p I think winging it is the way to travel. So much less stress.

@ Shocktroop531 - Just do it mate. It will be the best thing you ever did. Just travel and follow the snow. I've got a missus and sometimes convincing her to follow the snow can suck. But I said I want a huge Canada trip before she could have a baby. So looks like it worked. :) hahaha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts