Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the full season my wife and I thought we'd be working in the Austrian Alps is sadly coming to an end, next week.

So, I have been packing in slope days this last week, 5 of 7 days. According to the key card logs, I have taken 64 lifts and ridden about 121km of slopes. But the system can only take an 'educated' guess at the route you take down. I played around quite a bit, in the trees and some off-piste. I haven't been bothered with a GPS tracker, this time.

The thing is I'm not as young and fit as I was when I first started snowboarding exactly 20 years ago. After this last week my left knee is feeling weak, like it wants to go flamingo on me (I ride regular) The rest of me is also feeling it a bit.

So should I just call it quits and go home next week in one piece? I don't want to blow my knee out and have to quit snowboarding permanently. Maybe the wife and I will take one more gentle day before we leave in the coming days, then that's it for the season.

What would you consider too much? Maybe the age thing is starting to show in my case...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Listen to your body, it always knows best. saying that, Ive snowboarded 18 days in a row before on an epic pass road trip, one of the best times of my life, sleeping in my car and just going from resort to resort, but my knees/back were definitely feeling it at the end. Maybe go for a mellow day? Its hard to not take another day when you know the season is over......

·
Registered
78 Posts
I want to be able to walk the next day and be able to carry on with normal activities. I find that when I push when I am dead beat or super tired, I end up hurting myself. So, I've learned to listen to my body. When my legs are jello, i feel like its a better option to go have a beer than take one last run. Of course I find joy in riding otherwise I wouldn't do it but I also want to be able to enjoy other parts of my life without injuries. I've done this throughout the years and as I've aged, I understand I just can't have it all. LOL. Good times getting old!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,538 Posts
Good topic for summa us “Old Farts” here who are in less than stellar athletic condition? 🤣😩

After turning 61, and on-top of a 6-7 year old back injury, and a 4 year old, diagnosed heart condition,.. add to that, Arthritis and Two summers of ‘Rona related couch potato laziness & weight gain?

I definitely have to make concessions to my age & conditioning. It sucks,.. but I’d rather ride another “mellow” decade of half days, than have to stop altogether due to being a worn out, disabled creepy old codger!!! 😎🤪😉🏂

In fact, I’m leaving Boyne this morning after 6 half days of riding so I can have a day & half to rest & recoup at home before work on Monday.

My brain (EGO) wants to ride another day & a half,…. My body? Well it is saying that the 3.5-4 hour drive will feel brutaly long at this point. Lol 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
354 Posts
I cheat with Creatine and high protein diets if my muscles are holding me back, it works wonders. But if a joint or tendon or something is giving me problems I back off right away. Those are long term injuries that could easily leave you out for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I ride the whole holiday week (7+ days in a row), I just try to vary my riding style, not being full on a charging leg burning the whole day. I try to alternate with relax shred, cruising...

If I'm touring, I try to be a bit conservative on the first days... But not too much, you world be surprised how much you can endure.

Definitely stretching every riding day, before driving if I do. Else I'm just molded into the car seat.

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Cut out the bumpy sessions. I'm 63 and have just done 3 days of 5 hours riding solo (IE non stop) in perfect piste conditions with no trouble. A couple of hours on chunder and my knees really feel it.

All in have ridden about 20 days out of last 25

I've also just tweaked angles a little bit and that helped too

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, while growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

I just don't think we can do a full season like we did 10 years ago, and run a 4 story 24 bed, fully catered chalet with just the 2 of us. skiline.cc still has my records from back then: 48 days, 158 966vm, 336 lifts and 977km, in one season.

ok, I'm only 45, and while I do still love snowboarding, I also want to keep myself in a condition to be able to do it for years more to come. So I think the wife (who skis) and I are going to change gears. There are other ways to earn the means to hit the slopes, but at a much softer pace. I'm thinking of making it a mission visiting some of the worlds more obscure and hard to reach resorts, such as Riksgransen, 200km north of the arctic circle on the border of Sweden and Norway, the worlds most northerly resort. Open from February to June, with skiing/riding under the midnight sun in May.

I have done a few days at North Americas' highest vertical drop, Revelstoke. But considering what else I know the USA & Canada has on offer, we might get us a shaggin' wagon and make a very long road trip out of it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good topic for summa us “Old Farts” here who are in less than stellar athletic condition? 🤣😩

After turning 61, and on-top of a 6-7 year old back injury, and a 4 year old, diagnosed heart condition,.. add to that, Arthritis and Two summers of ‘Rona related couch potato laziness & weight gain?

I definitely have to make concessions to my age & conditioning. It sucks,.. but I’d rather ride another “mellow” decade of half days, than have to stop altogether due to being a worn out, disabled creepy old codger!!! 😎🤪😉🏂

In fact, I’m leaving Boyne this morning after 6 half days of riding so I can have a day & half to rest & recoup at home before work on Monday.

My brain (EGO) wants to ride another day & a half,…. My body? Well it is saying that the 3.5-4 hour drive will feel brutaly long at this point. Lol 🤷‍♂️
It's good to know I'm not the only old fart riding a plank sideways in the snow. Born and raised in South Africa I only discovered snowboarding at the tender young age of 25 while working at Waterville Valley, NH. Then you have the guys and gals that put their mothers through that much more pain by being born with a snowboard already attached. I've watched 8 year olds pulling tricks that make my eyes water. But alas, I don't think I'll be pulling any 900's 50ft in the air, ever. Blue, red and the odd black groomers are fine with me for the foreseeable future.

When we were younger a lot of us may not have listened to our bodies. At least they tried telling us when we pushed it, but we largely ignored it. Now it's screaming at me...slow down! So I think I will. We have a Landrover Defender from 1998 that we like to drive aimlessly around Africa. It has a very heavy clutch, so I think I'll go easy on my knees now so I can keep doing that too.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I have done a few days at North Americas' highest vertical drop, Revelstoke. ....
That's where I had my most days back-to-back which was only 5 (with 1 snowcat day near the end) and I was worked. I don't know how relevant Revelstoke's large (for North America) vertical is, though since we stayed on the upper lifts all day until the final run down to end the day. With as much elevation difference that Revelstoke has, the snow quality varied hugely from top to bottom and the bottom part of the mountain wasn't great.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,538 Posts
…so! To drive the point home about “making concessions for age & condition?” After 6 days riding, my 4 hour drive home and unpacking?

…I slept for 10.5 hours!!! 😳🤪🤣🤣🤷‍♂️
(Only got up twice to pee!) 🤣😶

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Started wearing adult undergarments @ night and on the hill..............never have to get up in the middle of the night........never have to stop for a piss break in da trees. Barley pops all day..............never stop........getting way more vert then the rest of the crew. Way better uninterrupted sleep/rest.........

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
…so! To drive the point home about “making concessions for age & condition?” After 6 days riding, my 4 hour drive home and unpacking?

…I slept for 10.5 hours!!! 😳🤪🤣🤣🤷‍♂️
(Only got up twice to pee!) 🤣😶
Only 4 hours.? When we leave Austria next week we have at least a 10 hour drive back home to Belgium, but that's assuming we don't encounter yet another classic German traffic jam...sure, you can floor it from time to time and drive as fast as you want, for maybe 5-10 minutes, if you're lucky. The idea of a limitless Autobahn was born when there were maybe half as many cars on the roads in Germany. Oh, I do stop to pee from time to time, not using adult diapers, yet...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just turned 40 (also 250 LBs so putting some mileage on the knees) and go almost every day (50 days so far this season 500k of vert)

I generally go out for 2-4 hours a day unless it’s a pow day and that’s bell to bell. I also have slowed down on hard bumps and jumps. My regiment for riding is the following

1. Daily stretching and body weight exercises legs & core
2. Collagen peptides in my coffee
3. Glucosamine/chondrotine tabs
4. Knee braces with padding when riding as well as crash pants
5. Compression ice wraps for the knees 20 minutes at night
6. Riding +/+ more often

This keeps me feeling pretty good, that said I’ve also started adding in some easy warm up runs before I hit the back bowls and will bail on my skier buds when they want to run hard moguls all day

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts