Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this question goes out to some of the more experienced members who have had the chance to try a number of different snowboard brands in their lifetime. Ruling out every other quality a board can have, which brand is putting out the most durable snowboards? I know that neversummer is over-hyped but I would assume companies that have their factories in America (NS,Mervin) make higher quality products than overseas but I really don't know!

I think I read a thread a while back in which BA mentioned cracking open snowboards to look inside and finding that certain advertised tech elements weren't there. It just got me to thinking I've never broken open one of my own boards so I suppose some companies could be lying about all those carbon stringers and kevlar impact plates haha

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hahaha no not at all. I've bought a Proto HD but I'm yet to see it so I can't comment. From all reports it's a very solid deck but with all the hype getting ejaculated around the inter webs who knows how much truth is in that. :D

Anyway, sorry to hijack/troll your thread - this is a valid topic and one that will surely raise some good discussion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Really really hate burton, but I've used a couple of their boards for when im riding on complete shit in the streets and they have never failed me.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
but I would assume companies that have their factories in America (NS,Mervin) make higher quality products than overseas
Why would you assume that?

Not saying that there aren't some good/great US-based manufacturers, but America hasn't been the gold standard in manufacturing quality for most things for a long time.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Im not sure how much of a factor durability really is. If you take care of most any board and don't ride it into a tree it should hold up longer than you even feel like riding it. Sometimes durability means, thick, heavy, stiff. But not always.

If you're looking for a board where you are just stunned by how beefy and well built it is, check out the Unity Origin. But good luck riding it. I like a mid flex+ cambered deck and that thing made me feel like a chick.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Not saying that there aren't some good/great US-based manufacturers, but America hasn't been the gold standard in manufacturing quality for most things for a long time.
Because... ya know... MERICAH! actually I don't have a single good reason I just know all my Rome boards say made in Taiwan and while I haven't had any major issues with Rome's durability my reverb rocker(great board) is starting to show its age with about 90+ days on it. I'd say I was pretty tough on the board but did routine maintenance and repairs when necessary. I guess I never loved the sound of "Made in Taiwan" either

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts

I assumed he was talking about (insert asian country here)-made products, not european made products.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I assumed he was talking about (insert asian country here)-made products, not european made products.
I assumed that too, but given the number of threads in which various posters have exposed where various board brands are manufactured, there doesn't seem to be a lot of correlation between country of manufacture and quality of construction. Lot of good and bad coming from everywhere.

Just kind of taken aback when the OP's question seemed to assume that quality is dictated by country and and not company.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I assumed that too, but given the number of threads in which various posters have exposed where various board brands are manufactured, there doesn't seem to be a lot of correlation between country of manufacture and quality of construction. Lot of good and bad coming from everywhere.

Just kind of taken aback when the OP's question seemed to assume that quality is dictated by country and and not company.
I guess I thought outsourcing worked the same in all areas of manufacturing. I doubt Rome makes their boards in Taiwan because it's more expensive for them that way. I really like Rome boards a lot but my original question wasn't about overall quality just durability. I would find it hard to believe that no companies cut corners in certain areas of design to be able to put out equipment at a lower price tag.

·
Registered
854 Posts
And durability doesn't necessarily correlate with how a board rides. If you find a board that you love it doesn't matter where its made.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've had 2 Ride boards, both made in China. Rode them both for 3 seasons, and they were both bomb-proof.

Had a Burton Custom X a few years back that started to delam in the first season. As did a K2, but that took 2 years and it was euro-pressed I believe.

Had a Rome Agent that was made in Taiwan. Really good for 2 seasons, but it fell apart in the 3rd year. Almost like the resin broke down: delaming, edges coming loose, one binding mount shifted around.

I've had a NS SL-R for the past 3 seasons and it still rides (and looks) like new. My favorite board by a nose over my old Ride Timeless.

So, by country: China yes, Taiwan no, Euro, no, mystery country no, USA yes.

Not sure if that means anything at all.

·
Registered
854 Posts
That Élan factory made some good boards. I had an old Inverse that was really well made. I know Capita bought the factory this summer to save it from bankruptcy and kept the very experienced workforce that really knows how to make boards. So I suspect Capita will be making high quality boards for a while.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a Rome Agent that was made in Taiwan. Really good for 2 seasons, but it fell apart in the 3rd year. Almost like the resin broke down: delaming, edges coming loose, one binding mount shifted around.
This is where my reverb rocker is right now. Not dead quite yet. Thanks for the feedback. I have heard some pretty good things about Ride in regards to durability with their slimewall sidewall tech they use.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well, 2 poor quality Rome boards between the 2 of us doesn't mean anything nor does my good experience with 2 Chinese-made Ride boards.

I have heard not so good things about Ride workmanship as well, but that just hasn't been my experience.

I hear the Swedes have some tight QC programs in their factories, but my Ikea stuff never lasts very long. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts