Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a fan of wearing goggles but I will be forced to because of the location I will be at.

The goggles I used last season cut off so much perriferal, and I couldn't see my board or anything unless looking straight down...

Im looking to find some goggles that will basically be closest to my eyes/ not huge... I want as much natural vision as possible.

I'm new to this so sorry for my ignorance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Von Zipper Fishbowls. I've used them before and you see so little frame. I am literally straining my eyeballs downwards before I see the frame.

Any true fishbowl fit type goggle should fit your description though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Von Zipper Fishbowls. I've used them before and you see so little frame. I am literally straining my eyeballs downwards before I see the frame.

Any true fishbowl fit type goggle should fit your description though.
--- Thanks, i have no clue what the "lingo" is for what im looking for.. but what im take from that is... fishbowl is what i needed to know... ill keep it updated with what i end up purchasing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeap! Fishbowl describes the oversized style of goggle that have awesome fields of view.

There was this one goggle, I think it was by quiksilver that literally wrapped around your face. Pretty cool, maybe you could look for that one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeap! Fishbowl describes the oversized style of goggle that have awesome fields of view.

There was this one goggle, I think it was by quiksilver that literally wrapped around your face. Pretty cool, maybe you could look for that one.
--- is there any other style that would have a larger field of vision besides
For the fishbowl and this quicksilver one?

I have a baby sized head lol. I am only going to use goggles when I'm in VT so I don't want to break the bank over them. Still need to finish buying all my exterior gear still too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True...and considering the grammar in the thread tittle even if he was a cyborg, and bought those I still wouldn't give him my respect.
--- Do not really see the problem with the grammar in my title.

"Most shallow goggles there is? "

I do not know the correct terminology for what i was looking for in a goggle. It was close enough though for the masses to understand. I am new to this sport, and the goggles i used last year seemed horrible. I had to literally turn around to check if the coast was clear coming down the slopes, and if i looked down there was no seeing what was around you or upcoming.

In a nut shell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyjn8aybPBs

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
--- Do not really see the problem with the grammar in my title.

"Most shallow goggles there is? "

I do not know the correct terminology for what i was looking for in a goggle. It was close enough though for the masses to understand. I am new to this sport, and the goggles i used last year seemed horrible. I had to literally turn around to check if the coast was clear coming down the slopes, and if i looked down there was no seeing what was around you or upcoming.

In a nut shell...

Step Bros night vision goggles - YouTube
Your grammar is fine...i was drunk when I replied.

·
Registered
676 Posts
--- You mean something like this?

I feel like wearing regular glasses (without a strap) while snowboarding will have you picking them up from the snow after every little fall. You could use one of those straps for glasses, but I am not sure how well they work, never tried them. Plus I think like a lot of wind-blown snow will get under your glasses.

I have a pair of Smith I/OS (there are I/O models for guys too) and I really like them. They don't restrict my field of vision at all - I think it's the spherical lens that does that, which is the lens fishbowl-type goggles use. I'm also kind of new, but pretty sure about it.

OP, do you have the option of going around to stores and trying on goggles they have? You should be able to find a nice pair with that kind of curved lens for a reasonable price... or at least so I hope :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel like wearing regular glasses (without a strap) while snowboarding will have you picking them up from the snow after every little fall. You could use one of those straps for glasses, but I am not sure how well they work, never tried them. Plus I think like a lot of wind-blown snow will get under your glasses.

I have a pair of Smith I/OS (there are I/O models for guys too) and I really like them. They don't restrict my field of vision at all - I think it's the spherical lens that does that, which is the lens fishbowl-type goggles use. I'm also kind of new, but pretty sure about it.

OP, do you have the option of going around to stores and trying on goggles they have? You should be able to find a nice pair with that kind of curved lens for a reasonable price... or at least so I hope :)
--- I can go to a local brick and mortar, but was trying to get an idea of what i should be looking for before i head out. I don't like to go into a situation being completely ignorant on what i should be getting. I haven't ever boarded while they were blowing or anything so i haven't experienced it getting in the way. I wasn't going to use any, because i hated the pair i used last season my friend lent me... But my girlfriend highly advised me to use them on the VT mountains.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
check out solstice supply.com, they have the airblaster googles for pretty cheap, good view side to side and not bad up and down. The rose blue lens is pretty versitile although not great in bright sun.

·
2,316 Posts
I am not a fan of wearing goggles but I will be forced to because of the location I will be at.

The goggles I used last season cut off so much perriferal, and I couldn't see my board or anything unless looking straight down...

Im looking to find some goggles that will basically be closest to my eyes/ not huge... I want as much natural vision as possible.

I'm new to this so sorry for my ignorance.
Welcome to wearing goggles, having nice wide-view lenses definitely helps, but I think it's mostly just that you're not used to wearing goggles yet. All goggles limit your field-of-vision at least somewhat, and snowboarding without them is, in my opinion, not really a choice (wind speed alone kills your eyes, and let's not even go into weather conditions).

I've talked with most other beginners and they usually all hate wearing goggles at first - it's mostly just something you have to get used to.

With that said, grabbing a nice pair that others have recommended isn't a bad idea. Just don't expect it to be a miracle cure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.